Starting to plan Car after S3

Just make sure the one you get has xenons, hate seeing a Porsche with halogen headlights looks so pauper like lol

Geeeeez halogen candles ... is that what they had in medi-evil days lol :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Bells
£40k is stupidly low or it should have been scaled at least in say £10k increments or something so it’s proportionate.
!

£40k is low now !!!

Even just 10 years ago, not many people would consider spending £40k on a car such as a Golf or A3. But now? People are spending £50-60k on RS3, and S3 close to £50k.

There is one reason why this has happened. Cheap credit and PCP deals. Before, you either bought the car outright or took out HP over 3-5 years. It cost you a fortune in monthly payment, but once paid off the car was yours.

Most people lived within their means. Many years ago I wanted a 306 GTI-6. About £17k they were. But I just couldn't afford it. What I earned at the time and what the repayments were over 5 years just didn't add up. So I bought a 106 GTI instead. About £12.5k. As luck would have it, it was the best car I've owned, but that's besides the point.

But now? PCP deals means average man on the street can be driving around in cars 2, 3, 4, times what their salary would have previously allowed. What is the consequence of this? List prices rising uncontrollably. And yet people don't bat an eyelid, as the list price counts for Sh1t these days. All that counts is monthly payments. So if PCP deals had been around when I wanted that 306 GTI-6, I'd have been in one straight away. But that's the thing. I'd be in a car, I couldn't really afford.

So now we have the `Premium Tax`. If the government had introduced the £40k tax band 10 years ago, no one on here would care, as cars like the S3 etc wouldn't fall within this. If people don't care about list prices, then manufacturers will simply raise them.

We in Britain want to brag how much something costs, rather than how little it costs. I used to call it the `Billy Big B0ll0x` syndrome. When the housing market boomed everyone was bragging how much their house coast. £400k, £500k, £600K. Look at me, I've just bought a £600k house. I'm better than you !!!!. Yet, that same house was £250k 8 years before. But who cares, My house is worth £600k !!!

Just before the boom, My dad looked at buying a 5 bed house. It was really nice. Large, couple en-suits, double garage etc. It was on the Market for £180k. At the time, we thought that £180k was such a lot of money. Was it right to spend so much on a house? To put it into perspective, my dad had his own company, and was making really good money. So it wasn't like he was going to stretch himself. But yet, the thought of spending £180,000 on a house seamed silly. Skip 10 years on, that same house was on the market for over £450,000, and once on the market it was snapped up near instantly. People were falling over themselves to spend £450,000. Yet when it was on the market for £180,000 it was advertised for over a year. Yet somebody would have snapped it up for £450,000, then bragged they just bought a house for £450,000. Look at me !!! Like they wanted a medal or something.

And in recent years, the same `Billy Big B0ll0x` syndrome has move onto cars. An M3, over £60k. Loads of them around. RS4's, RS3's, Merc AMG's, BMW X cars etc. There all over the place. Yet I doubt most would ever be able to actually afford one if they had to buy it though HP.

Me personally, I'd never go PCP. That's just my choice. So now that reflects what car I could buy in the future, as my salary will cap what car I can afford.

We now live beyond our means, and now call foul when the Government tries to cash in on car prices, and the people who demand to drive cars they really can't afford.

Personally, I'd rather they scrapped car tax completely, or just made every car the same, say £250 a year. Then stuck on an extra penny on the fuel tax. Drive loads of miles, you pay more. Drive less, you pay less. Simples.

Last edited:
Reactions: fivespice, -Ju-, pedro61163 and 4 others
Just make sure the one you get has xenons, hate seeing a Porsche with halogen headlights looks so pauper like lol
Definitely, assume could retro fit if needed, plus add a better stereo interface with carplay.

Surprising isn’t it, will wait until end of the year I think and see what’s on the market.
Would love a Porsche but I’ve heard horror stories about the maintenance costs, that’s one bonus of having a newish car that’s got warranty for minimum of 3 years.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
Would love a Porsche but I’ve heard horror stories about the maintenance costs, that’s one bonus of having a newish car that’s got warranty for minimum of 3 years.
If I get one I’ll get it checked over thoroughly, a friend of a friend is a exPorsche mechanic so will be leaning on him.

Reactions: Bells and KenL
Xenons where still a optional extra up until a year ago on a boxster mate,prior to the tubo 718's

Personally think they should be the minimum standard in this day and age!

Reactions: Bells and Jassyo06
£40k is low now !!!

Even just 10 years ago, not many people would consider spending £40k on a car such as a Golf or A3. But now? People are spending £50-60k on RS3, and S3 close to £50k.

There is one reason why this has happened. Cheap credit and PCP deals. Before, you either bought the car outright or took out HP over 3-5 years. It cost you a fortune in monthly payment, but once paid off the car was yours.

Most people lived within their means. Many years ago I wanted a 306 GTI-6. About £17k they were. But I just couldn't afford it. What I earned at the time and what the repayments were over 5 years just didn't add up. So I bought a 106 GTI instead. About £12.5k. As luck would have it, it was the best car I've owned, but that's besides the point.

But now? PCP deals means average man on the street can be driving around in cars 2, 3, 4, times what their salary would have previously allowed. What is the consequence of this? List prices rising uncontrollably. And yet people don't bat an eyelid, as the list price counts for Sh1t these days. All that counts is monthly payments. So if PCP deals had been around when I wanted that 306 GTI-6, I'd have been in one straight away. But that's the thing. I'd be in a car, I couldn't really afford.

So now we have the `Premium Tax`. If the government had introduced the £40k tax band 10 years ago, no one on here would care, as cars like the S3 etc wouldn't fall within this. If people don't care about list prices, then manufacturers will simply raise them.

We in Britain want to brag how much something costs, rather than how little it costs. I used to call it the `Billy Big B0ll0x` syndrome. When the housing market boomed everyone was bragging how much their house coast. £400k, £500k, £600K. Look at me, I've just bought a £600k house. I'm better than you !!!!. Yet, that same house was £250k 8 years before. But who cares, My house is worth £600k !!!

Just before the boom, My dad looked at buying a 5 bed house. It was really nice. Large, couple en-suits, double garage etc. It was on the Market for £180k. At the time, we thought that £180k was such a lot of money. Was it right to spend so much on a house? To put it into perspective, my dad had his own company, and was making really good money. So it wasn't like he was going to stretch himself. But yet, the thought of spending £180,000 on a house seamed silly. Skip 10 years on, that same house was on the market for over £450,000, and once on the market it was snapped up near instantly. People were falling over themselves to spend £450,000. Yet when it was on the market for £180,000 it was advertised for over a year. Yet somebody would have snapped it up for £450,000, then bragged they just bought a house for £450,000. Look at me !!! Like they wanted a medal or something.

And in recent years, the same `Billy Big B0ll0x` syndrome has move onto cars. An M3, over £60k. Loads of them around. RS4's, RS3's, Merc AMG's, BMW X cars etc. There all over the place. Yet I doubt most would ever be able to actually afford one if they had to buy it though HP.

Me personally, I'd never go PCP. That's just my choice. So now that reflects what car I could buy in the future, as my salary will cap what car I can afford.

We now live beyond our means, and now call foul when the Government tries to cash in on car prices, and the people who demand to drive cars they really can't afford.

Personally, I'd rather they scrapped car tax completely, or just made every car the same, say £250 a year. Then stuck on an extra penny on the fuel tax. Drive loads of miles, you pay more. Drive less, you pay less. Simples.

All this PCP interest = DEBT..............you are talking of................delivers choices............mate, hence there is a vast amount of models out there now.......from big to small..to fast to furiously fast............they are rented,if it where like the good olde days..............we would all be driving the latest Sierra Ghia.........at best,Car manufacturers wouldnt have the dosh for research for safety,technology,and most of all engine technology.............emissions,hybrids.............millions less cars on the road,car manufacturers are BANKS that deal in a currency called cars..............like it or lump it...........your next car you buy with all the tech in it was funded by debt from peeps that rent cars like most on here

Reactions: Simonb1975

Worse than Audi - surely not!

Reactions: Bells
All this PCP interest = DEBT..............you are talking of................delivers choices............mate, hence there is a vast amount of models out there now.......from big to small..to fast to furiously fast............they are rented,if it where like the good olde days..............we would all be driving the latest Sierra Ghia.........at best,Car manufacturers wouldnt have the dosh for research for safety,technology,and most of all engine technology.............emissions,hybrids.............millions less cars on the road,car manufacturers are BANKS that deal in a currency called cars..............like it or lump it...........your next car you buy with all the tech in it was funded by debt from peeps that rent cars like most on here

Your absolutely right, and I don't disagree with anything you say. I was simply pointing out that a £40,000 `premium tax` threshold is not that high. And in most mid-sized Hatch / Saloon cars, where £40,000 would have been unachievable in both terms of speccing up and being able to afford for the average man on the street 10-15 years ago, £40,000 is nothing now.

So maybe those who are driving around in car worth in excess of £40,000 due to these PCP deals maybe shouldn't be shouting `foul` to the government too loud, as without these PCP deals they wouldn't have the opportunity to drive these types of cars in the first place.

Don't like the `premium tax`? Buy a less expensive car then. Just don't cry about it. It's your choice.

As I said before, we are now a country of `want`. We want an RS3. We want the 60" 4K TV. We want the latest IPhone. We want Sky TV. And due to cheap credit and monthly payments we can have it all !!!!! Where expensive cars, TV's etc were once the privilege of the better off, we can now keep up with them. Only when we lose our jobs, or circumstances change we have no back-up plan. We can't keep up with the repayments. The car gets taken away, the Sky subscription gets cancelled along with the IPhone. Only you can't just walk away that easily. You need to pay to get out of them. But most people don't have the funds to do that. Why? Because they live month by month on monthly payments and have very little left over.

Is it right? Yes and no.

The Government will tax where it sees easy money to be made. They know people no longer live within their means. You want that £47,000 S3? Pay the tax and shut up. It was your choice to drive it.

I was in the BMW dealership yesterday for a nosey around. Sat in the showroom was an M4. £91,145.00. Over £91K for an M4. Sorry, but that is just F***ing crazy

Reactions: Martinbanshee and NevMan
Your absolutely right, and I don't disagree with anything you say. I was simply pointing out that a £40,000 `premium tax` threshold is not that high. And in most mid-sized Hatch / Saloon cars, where £40,000 would have been unachievable in both terms of speccing up and being able to afford for the average man on the street 10-15 years ago, £40,000 is nothing now.

So maybe those who are driving around in car worth in excess of £40,000 due to these PCP deals maybe shouldn't be shouting `foul` to the government too loud, as without these PCP deals they wouldn't have the opportunity to drive these types of cars in the first place.

Don't like the `premium tax`? Buy a less expensive car then. Just don't cry about it. It's your choice.

As I said before, we are now a country of `want`. We want an RS3. We want the 60" 4K TV. We want the latest IPhone. We want Sky TV. And due to cheap credit and monthly payments we can have it all !!!!! Where expensive cars, TV's etc were once the privilege of the better off, we can now keep up with them. Only when we lose our jobs, or circumstances change we have no back-up plan. We can't keep up with the repayments. The car gets taken away, the Sky subscription gets cancelled along with the IPhone. Only you can't just walk away that easily. You need to pay to get out of them. But most people don't have the funds to do that. Why? Because they live month by month on monthly payments and have very little left over.

Is it right? Yes and no.

The Government will tax where it sees easy money to be made. They know people no longer live within their means. You want that £47,000 S3? Pay the tax and shut up. It was your choice to drive it.

I was in the BMW dealership yesterday for a nosey around. Sat in the showroom was an M4. £91,145.00. Over £91K for an M4. Sorry, but that is just F***ing crazy
one day the bubble will burst again recession is now a fact of life... ...
BMW M4 CS at that price funny money l worked on a Maclaren showroom in 2014 most of them where on a pcp as where the Bentley cars next door, even the well off buy cars they can't afford way it is now

Reactions: NevMan
one day the bubble will burst again recession is now a fact of life... ...
BMW M4 CS at that price funny money l worked on a Maclaren showroom in 2014 most of them where on a pcp as where the Bentley cars next door, even the well off buy cars they can't afford way it is now

Too true it will burst. I remember chatting to a Ferrari salesman once a number of years ago, even then they were doing long term finance on those cars, with punters “renting” for a few years then getting a newer one and starting again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree with you on the styling front, particularly interior, that is where I think Audi lead (just my opinion), but they are starting to cut a few corners, Like the “standard” S Line seats as opposed S3 etc etc, but still turn my head (most models), even down to S1

Reactions: sve170
Cost cutting happening across the range, I just got a new Q5, instead of having a proper lift-up parcel shelf (like the old one) it has a cheapo sliding cover. I guess it is a weight (and cost) saving.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Cost cutting happening across the range, I just got a new Q5, instead of having a proper lift-up parcel shelf (like the old one) it has a cheapo sliding cover. I guess it is a weight (and cost) saving.
yes, I too have a new Q5, and agree of the cr*p cover :rage: that along with the lack of roof bar bag and what appears to be plastic internal door handles coated in metal paint...grrr. The rest is great tho :tonguewink:

Right ok, so some rural parts of the UK have superfast broadband. Most don't though. So that's connectivity not sorted then !

So car manufacturers will build `hubs` where all these cars will be located for you to call for a lift. Just how many of these `Hubs` do you think they will need to build to accommodate everyone who desires to get from A to B? They would need to be located outside of every town and large village across the land. What if you live very rural? An Uber isn't just 5 mins away.

By creating everything Uber, you are essentially disabling social mobility. People would stop traveling. I regularly go walking over the Lakes. Journey time from Darlington to Keswick is about 1hour 15min. Once there I might decide to drive to Buttermere for a walk around the lake. At the minute, I can drive over whenever I like. I can stop off anywhere along the journey, or decide to detour to Ambleside first.

Can you imagine calling for an Uber to do all that? Plus, with a car I have everything I need for the day in the boot. Boots, walking trousers, waterproofs etc. What am I supposed to do if everything is Uber? Carry all these items with me everywhere? No.

What about the cost for doing all that with Uber? Yes, you could argue that instead of buying a car, you would just pay Uber instead. But you can buy a brand new car for a few hundred pounds a month that allows you to travel as many miles as you wish, when you wish, and with whoever you wish, carrying anything and everything you may need. How much would Uber charge you a month for taking you to work and back every day? Taking you to the shops? Taking you to see your friends? Taking you from Darlington to Keswick and back? I'd say a lot more than just a few hundred quid a month. Then what about those who couldn't afford an Uber? What do they do? Become a prisoner within there own town or village? Then people who live very rural would be punished the most, as their Uber fair would be excessive just to get to the local shops and back.

So again, all this Uber ***** only really works in towns and Cities. Maybe you need to expand your mind beyond the town and city, and look at the bigger picture.

I rarely log on to check posts anymore and don't have much time now, but the majority of what you've posted just seems like an angry rant ignoring most of the key points I put down.

It's actually you who's not seeing the bigger picture. Rentals/leases now account for over 90+% of the market. Outright car purchasing is dead, realise you're in the minority. With the advent of autonomous driving, it'll all eventually be pushed this way. You remind me of the coal miners of days gone past, refusing to accept that times are moving ahead. Autonomous vehicles won't needs hubs within <5mi distance of villages, and most villages in the UK are near enough towns without being >50mi.

Also, you have an unhealthy obsession with Uber. Uber are a completely different business model with their own set of problems and policy restrictions.

As I've said it's already being trialled overseas. It will come here eventually, whether or not you agree/like it or not. Goodbye Mr.1980's.

Reactions: PanamaS3
Is it really a silly tax increase. More expensive cars tend to pollute more so it makes sense to me.

Also, it might force makers to price their cars more sensibly.

It has absolutely nothing to do with pollution, it is just another tax on the working man, fact.

Just wait until there are enough electric motors on the road and you will find that Free Charging will end overnight.

Reactions: Jassyo06
It has absolutely nothing to do with pollution, it is just another tax on the working man, fact.

Just wait until there are enough electric motors on the road and you will find that Free Charging will end overnight.

What about the working woman ;-)

Anything that gets gas guzzling cars off the road is a good thing in my book.

I look forward to the day that electric cars are usable and affordable for the average working person.

I rarely log on to check posts anymore and don't have much time now, but the majority of what you've posted just seems like an angry rant ignoring most of the key points I put down.

It's actually you who's not seeing the bigger picture. Rentals/leases now account for over 90+% of the market. Outright car purchasing is dead, realise you're in the minority. With the advent of autonomous driving, it'll all eventually be pushed this way. You remind me of the coal miners of days gone past, refusing to accept that times are moving ahead. Autonomous vehicles won't needs hubs within <5mi distance of villages, and most villages in the UK are near enough towns without being >50mi.

Also, you have an unhealthy obsession with Uber. Uber are a completely different business model with their own set of problems and policy restrictions.

As I've said it's already being trialled overseas. It will come here eventually, whether or not you agree/like it or not. Goodbye Mr.1980's.

I'm far from angry. But if that make you feel better to think that, then so be it.

Yes, most cars on the road are due to PCP/Lease deals, due to cheap credit. But being a coal miner of days gone past, once the bubble bursts, I'll still be able to drive my purchased car around when most others either can't afford the repayments, or can't afford the same level of car they've been driving around in.

Autonomous cars (AC) maybe your idea of heaven, and it may well be getting trialled overseas, but don't underestimate the UK's obsession with cars. Like electric vehicles, a small minority will embrace it. And if you are happy to wait for your AC to be driven up to 50 miles to get to you, to drive you somewhere, then good for you. The rest of us (Once emerged from the coal pit) to decide to go somewhere, grab the car keys and go. We can be driving with 30 seconds of deciding to go out.

Judging by your enthusiasm for the AC, I can only surmise that you are of the `Millennium` generation. Offended and angry that you have to put a little effort into actually having to drive a car, instead of having it drive you around. All so you can be glued to your phone on Facebook, or snap-chatting your friends with an app that can make you look like you are a cute bunny rabbit.

What about the working woman ;-)

Anything that gets gas guzzling cars off the road is a good thing in my book.

I look forward to the day that electric cars are usable and affordable for the average working person.

Have you got shares in Tesla or are you a Elon Musk Cult member, coz you sure are posting like one lol

Reactions: BarryG79
Just to bring this back on track, I'll be opting out of the company car scheme next year (the BIK tax on the S3 is excessive, to say the least) I am going to get a PCP deal on an RS3 saloon, which means for the amount a get in wages for a car allowance plus a little extra I can get a car that I will enjoy the use of, for a couple of years before starting the whole process again. Each to their own, but i personally do not know anyone who even has 30k sitting around to spend on a car never mind 60-80K. Most people finance a car one way or the other, I don't mind not "owning" the car i drive, but I haven't owned a car myself for about 8 years, so i am used to it. Its the old capex vs opex business argument.

Finally, the RS3 saloon in ara blue, yes please, its a lot of car, for 47K ish, show me something else (brand new) that that has the same practicality and level of performance.

Reactions: KenL and PanamaS3
wab and 4k.....you guys should get a room! lol ....good debate but no need to get personal although i do enjoy that too! :)
personally i can't see autonomous driving being the norm for a very long time....i was in a new Volvo recently driving itself and it nearly ran into the car infront....i'm probably wrong, but most of us cavemen and women can't easily relinquish control and don't want to either especially when there are still cars being made that give us the fizz....which right now there seem to more of than any other time.
i think in major cities things will be different due to infrastructure not being able to cope....but every country has its own sometimes unique problems and solutions....but everywhere I go I see people love their cars or motorbikes and the freedom/lifestyle it provides....some of my friends don't have cars and just get Uber everywhere...I find them weird
back to OP question.....I'm in the same boat as you....waiting....like an RS3 but prefer TTRS....2020 is a long wait....no PCP or leasing here just good old fashioned loan....so the bigger the deposit I have the better....tempted to even try and pick up used one

Reactions: Tom.H and Jassyo06
Just to bring this back on track, I'll be opting out of the company car scheme next year (the BIK tax on the S3 is excessive, to say the least) I am going to get a PCP deal on an RS3 saloon, which means for the amount a get in wages for a car allowance plus a little extra I can get a car that I will enjoy the use of, for a couple of years before starting the whole process again. Each to their own, but i personally do not know anyone who even has 30k sitting around to spend on a car never mind 60-80K. Most people finance a car one way or the other, I don't mind not "owning" the car i drive, but I haven't owned a car myself for about 8 years, so i am used to it. Its the old capex vs opex business argument.

Finally, the RS3 saloon in ara blue, yes please, its a lot of car, for 47K ish, show me something else (brand new) that that has the same practicality and level of performance.
You'd get 18 plate M3 for £48k

Reactions: KenL
You'd get 18 plate M3 for £48k

Was sat behind one of these yesterday. God, they look vulgar. He gunned it when we went from single traffic to dual carriage way. Lot of noise, but didn't exactly scamper away like I thought it would. Think an RS3 would beat it.

Where Audi are a little too subtle, BMW are a little bit OTT.

Between the two, think I'd rather have the RS3 new, than a second hand M3.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and PanamaS3
Was sat behind one of these yesterday. God, they look vulgar. He gunned it when we went from single traffic to dual carriage way. Lot of noise, but didn't exactly scamper away like I thought it would. Think an RS3 would beat it.

Would be a nice decision to have. I think I would go M3, I really like the looks of the saloon over the M4. I think I could put up with an RS3 though

Reactions: Jassyo06 and PanamaS3

You'll get a pre registered M3 MANUAL GEARBOX Car for £48k

I was surrounded by 4 of them yesterday all very nice especially a white one and a individual Fire/solar orange

Yep, wet, greasy roads are pretty common, especially up here. Each to their own I suppose but I’ve noticed very few RWD cars want to play when it’s wet.
If I wanted to save the fun days to the dry days I’d buy another sports bike

To be fair, a confident, skilled driver would be perfectly fine with a RWD fast car in the wet but that’s definitely not all owners!

Reactions: KenL
To be fair, a confident, skilled driver would be perfectly fine with a RWD fast car in the wet but that’s definitely not all owners!

Very true, confidence, not a problem, actual skill, not so much so. I know my own limitations, used to have a 320d, and that was bad enough when it was wet / greasy, it's a shame but i have had to exclude powerful RWD cars from the list, i love them, but i just couldn't live with the paranoia every time i wanted to do some "spirited driving" and it wasn't 100% dry.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
I was out in a nice RWD car Sunday, went like stink and sounded awesome in the process - then again that was due to the 580bhp V10 in the back :hearteyes:

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, PanamaS3, Martinbanshee and 1 other person
You'll get a pre registered M3 MANUAL GEARBOX Car for £48k

I was surrounded by 4 of them yesterday all very nice especially a white one and a individual Fire/solar orange
Jassy ol boy....you're turning into a right old beemer lover these days since your boy went over to the dark side to work lol
unless they are making interiors to rival our beloved 4 rings then splash your face with cold water mate and stop oogling over all these flashy wide boy motors hehehe

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, NevMan and Jassyo06
I was out in a nice RWD car Sunday, went like stink and sounded awesome in the process - then again that was due to the 580bhp V10 in the back :hearteyes:
i'm struggling to think of a car with V10 thats not 4 wheel drive.....pray tell which car this was and put me out of my misery lol