Starting problems

martin1984

Reaction score
Just a quick one i havent used my car for almost 3weeks went to start as going to london tomorrow and car wouldnt start clocks had reset and got a m8 to jump start my car is it just the fact i havent used my car and its been cold as battery was replaced by the aa less than a year ago. Should i be looking for anything ?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

maybe just due to standing , do you have anything that is allways on etc that may be the cuase of it draining down , maybe it wasn't fully charged when you locked it up 3 weeks ago and the combination of cold damp weather and less than fully charged battery have combined to leave you with a flat battery.

I have a dash cam thats on a perm live would that drain it ?

may well do over a three week period, probably not all to blame but certainly wouldn't off helped, along with cold etc all things have probably helped leave you somewhat drained....

Well now ive started it ill turn it over each day for 10mins so i hopfully dont have this happen again

put some lights on etc and the fan on low when running it, that way the alternator will be sure to put enough current back into the battery, just idling wont really do much as there wont be very much draw so the battery may not get much juice put back into it, switch things on then the draw will be greater thus more current going back into the battery, I expect yo get my drift ...

Reactions: CHEZ and martin1984
put some lights on etc and the fan on low when running it, that way the alternator will be sure to put enough current back into the battery, just idling wont really do much as there wont be very much draw so the battery may not get much juice put back into it, switch things on then the draw will be greater thus more current going back into the battery, I expect yo get my drift ...
Cheers will do never really thought of it like that i would of just let it run not really doing any help.

It would get some charge but not as much as it will if you have things turned on , also better to go round the block a few times than just letting it idle for any period of time, keep things all moving etc, a stationary car in the winter is not ideal, if you cant go far , just go a small way , it will help a lot.

It would get some charge but not as much as it will if you have things turned on , also better to go round the block a few times than just letting it idle for any period of time, keep things all moving etc, a stationary car in the winter is not ideal, if you cant go far , just go a small way , it will help a lot.
I can go for a drive just havent need to as have 2 cars so the a4 not getting use at all.

just take it out one a week chap to keep the disks clean and calipers moving etc and give the engine a run, it may seem a pain but it is the best plan at this time of year.

At this time of year, cold temps and condensation are a car owners worse enemy , rain will run of the bodywork , but damp and condensation will sit all over a car in the engine bay, under the chassis on your brakes , inside the car, it gets everywhere and stays there unless the car heats up in sunlight (not much this time of year) or you take it for a run to dry things out....I have two garages with frost protection but they get really damp some days and I have to get the cars out and dry them off etc, outside will be just the same if not worse.

just take it out one a week chap to keep the disks clean and calipers moving etc and give the engine a run, it may seem a pain but it is the best plan at this time of year.
Yea i should do ive let it go leaving it in the corner unloved all december never seen my car so dirty but in the new year im moving so it will be getting a drive a day but only a short distance which prob wont be any good being a tdi

Being a diesel, ideally should be ran for at least 20mins or 20miles and as mentioned try to give the alternator a chance to do it's thing by having your headlights on in order to sap a bit power and fully charge your battery.
This once a week should be ok