Starting issues ...

enc

Reaction score
BKD 2 ltr TDI 140

Had some hot start issues in the summer. ONLY when trying to restart engine at full operating temp. this stopped happening as the weather cooled.

Had a couple of slow turnover cold weather starts after the car had been stood over 48 hours.

2 glow plugs errors have shown up but … to be fair these have shown fault for over 18 months with no cold start issues last winter … do they deteriorate further ?

They were showing faulty last winter but gave no starting issues ?

Wondering could this be battery or glow plugs or something else ?

Cheers

I had the hot start issue as well as a cold starting problem. The cold starting problem turned out to be my battery, got that changed and everything seems fine so far - thank God.

But I'll have to see if my hot start issue comes back in summer. A lot of people say the hot start issue is usually down to a faulty starter motor, but as I said I'll have to see if my battery has resolved that issue in 6 months time.

In regards to your glow plugs, I'm sure 3 of my glow plugs are out lol but after changing the battery my car fires up every time without a single blip. IIRC the glow plugs are needed when the temperatures are below freezing?

You should get the battery checked out by someone with a voltmeter to rule it out. But I would say it's probably your battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the hot start issue could be linked to the coolant temp sensor on these engines?
I have the hot start issue also.

I thought the hot start issue could be linked to the coolant temp sensor on these engines?
I have the hot start issue also.

I think there's loads of things that can cause the hot start issue from what I've read. I've got the 1.9tdi so not sure if it's any different between the two. But the majority of people come to the conclusion that a new starter motor usually fixes the problem indefinitely. Apparently it's something to do with the solenoid in the motor deteriorating so it doesn't spin as quick when the engine is hot.

I've had the hot start patch when I got my car remapped and that hasn't done anything. I also had a new coolant sensor put in a couple years ago and that didn't fix anything either. I recently put a new battery in and hoping that has fixed it but only time will tell. If not, I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase a starter motor and see if that resolves the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After being stood in the garage for for 2 days, she wouldn't fire this morning... engine was turning lazily but just wouldn't fire. connected jump leads from another car and she fired straight away... im pretty sure its the battery. taking advantage of GSF's 50 percent off sale, im going to pick one up tomorrow.
whats this about registering a new battery with the control unit ?

I had the hot start issue as well as a cold starting problem. The cold starting problem turned out to be my battery, got that changed and everything seems fine so far - thank God.

You should get the battery checked out by someone with a voltmeter to rule it out. But I would say it's probably your battery.
lk

was the battery a straight swap ? no re programming involved ?

just an update in case anyone does a search in the future.

put a new battery on today.. car fired first time with no issues. didn't even have to reprogram the radio stations :smile new:

Reactions: Mujnu and wxc
After being stood in the garage for for 2 days, she wouldn't fire this morning... engine was turning lazily but just wouldn't fire. connected jump leads from another car and she fired straight away... im pretty sure its the battery. taking advantage of GSF's 50 percent off sale, im going to pick one up tomorrow.
whats this about registering a new battery with the control unit ?

So you find the cause of problem.

was the battery a straight swap ? no re programming involved ?

Yes battery is never coded as you coding some module itself or adding another module (like radio, mfsw etc.), battery is not a module, is a power source, only thing when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery is that on dash you will got steering and esp light, they will disappear after driving for 40 yards.

low output from battery.
It wasn't a question xD Just confirmation of problem. Anyway battery should be checked/changed every 2 years so check when you get it.