1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Starter guide to getting set up for VCDS

y15usf Sep 2, 2019

1. y15usf

y15usf Registered User

Hi Guys,

Looking to get into VCDS coding but wanted to know any strater tips and what kit I should buy.

I want the tool that will allow me to modify code in the car to code in certain features or changes.

Not a diagnostic tool to tell me issue and faults.

What will I have to buy to get started?

Is the VCDS a software I need to buy and licence besides the ob2 to USB interface cable.

Are there big differences between these interface cables?

And is there a way to know the possible mods available and open to my car before buying vcds, I want stuff like needle sweep etc.

Tried tools like OBD11 and Carista but literally the only feature they had for my car with those tools was beep lock/unlock.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. y15usf

y15usf Registered User

4. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

That eBay item isn’t a real Ross-Tech VCDS cable, it’s a pirate, fake, whatever you want to call it, it’s not the real deal despite the description .
    I can only recommend that you buy the real thing , I bought my VCDS cable from Gendan in Swansea and they were great.
    It’s my understanding that you often won’t know what you can code to your car until you actually connect up the cable and interrogate the control modules fitted to your vehicle.
    I wish I’d bought my VCDS years ago, I had a copy cable when I had my A4 and only bought the real thing when I acquired my A3 , just wish that I hadn’t waited so long......

Sandra and abmat like this.
  5. y15usf

y15usf Registered User

Just to confirm so this one on eBay is like a pirated version of the real software ?

I do not condemn to pirated software but too late now, will it affect usage at all?

P.s I bought it before you posted a reply because there was only 1 left in stock and the price was a steal with the advertised unlimited vins.

I guess I can always get PayPal a heads-up on the seller for selling non-legitimate items.

6. abmat

abmat Active Member VCDS Map User

That is a fake.

If you have any issues or need help Ross-tech will not give you any.

Unlikely the seller will either.

7. y15usf

y15usf Registered User

I guess the moral of the story is if it sounds too good to be true, it is :(

8. J0N

J0N Registered User

It does state in the description that it is a clone and the software cannot be updated although it does claim to be the latest version. The counterfeiters have really stepped up their game, it seems??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. y15usf

y15usf Registered User

He states that it cannot be upgraded but don't say anything about it being a clone version.

He even goes on to say how the cable is legit and how not to go with cheap counterfeits.

The Irony xD

10. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

the fact that it cannot be updated means its a clone. Expect to pay £200 to £300 for a used genuine VCDS cable and £300+ for a new real one/ Anything costing less and anything with a version number printer on the cable = fake / cloned.

11. gary3306

gary3306 Registered User Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

I bought mine from Gendan. Superb service. No fear of getting a dodgy cable either

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. ch1z64

ch1z64 C'mon you's bhoy's in Green Silver Supporter VCDS Map User

Usual Vcd's hex V2 3 vin are around £225 and then you can buy upgrade vin's upto 10 vins then after that you can upgrade to unlimited . Always buy from the correct outlets , @NHN is a registered supplier

14. samisnake

samisnake Registered User

Can't do needle sweep with vcds or any of the other consumer tools anyway. It's quite a bit intensive to do.

Obd11 will do everything you need. It has ability to long code, so anything you can do with vcds youll be able to do.

15. Matt268uk

Matt268uk A3 Sportback VCDS Map User

If I were you I’d return the item and buy yourself a genuine one from a reputable supplier such as @NHN or gendan. A cloned cable will have no support from Ross-Tech and no updates. A genuine cable will not only benefit you but you can also use it on other people’s cars with confidence. Some cables have also been know to stop working suddenly. Also hacked software is not really something you want to be using on yours or other peoples pride and joy.

16. den911

den911 Registered User

Another vote here for the genuine cable,purchased my 3 vin from Gendan gave me confidence when coding and checking my injectors,plus excelent support on the ross-tech forum ..

17. J0N

J0N Registered User

Extract from the eBay description

[​IMG]

18. J0N

J0N Registered User

I wonder if it says ‘CLON3’ to bypass eBay’s bots or something?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Bryant1998 likes this.
  19. y15usf

y15usf Registered User

Omg, I thought clon3 was a phrase used in coding, I never realised at the time it was clone but with the E as a 3.

J0N likes this.
  20. ronniejack

ronniejack Registered User

CLON3 lmfao

21. Gaz78

Gaz78 Registered User

It does seem there's so many options out there that many of us who are new to any kind of coding, find it difficult knowing what to choose.

Over on the Ttforum many are using the totalcardiagnostics cable, and with good reports. However......IS THIS LEGAL OR A DODGY CLONE???

I'm all for saving money but realise there's a point it's worth just paying for the best.

Gaz

Ps - I'm not endorsing the above product by the way!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2019
  22. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Cloned

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2019