Starter / Alternator recall

MPTT

Reaction score
Anyone else had this letter through? I’m considering not booking it in and hoping the car goes up in flames (I have gap insurance) to ensure any future owners aren’t as disappointed as I am with the car.

Attachments

• BCA233D6-193D-4428-AE12-7B626924BFB3.jpeg
    BCA233D6-193D-4428-AE12-7B626924BFB3.jpeg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 511
I didn't get the letter but had this repair done automatically when my A6 (40 TDI Quattro) went in for its first 10k service in August. I only found out about it when I saw the invoice.

Anyone else had this letter through? I’m considering not booking it in and hoping the car goes up in flames (I have gap insurance) to ensure any future owners aren’t as disappointed as I am with the car.

I believe this is for some petrol engines only? Is your car petrol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines a diesel. It was in getting the AC fixed in August, you’d think they’d do it then.

begs the question though, if they’ve known about this for over 6 months why are they now saying don’t park the car in a multi storey car park!

Mines a diesel. It was in getting the AC fixed in August, you’d think they’d do it then.

begs the question though, if they’ve known about this for over 6 months why are they now saying don’t park the car in a multi storey car park!

I think this is what mine had done back in Dec. I think they call this campaign different names depending on the country which may actually cause confusion on international forums.
They mentioned safety thing and alternator but the name of the campaign recorded in my Audi was 97EP.
I was going to go for BMW 7 2017 series before I got A6 50tdi but they have serious faults too and repair costs and parts are astronomical. The one I had a deposit on had actually issues with loose wiring behind middle console and the air con display was fogged/melted from the inside. I think nowadays it is quick model release and profit over proper quality check. This applies to all brands unfortunately.
As long as some issues can be dealt by simple software update or safety check I don’t mind. Problems start when hardware and parts are causing issues.
Btw over a year ago there was a huge fire in the large shopping center car park in Cork in Ireland caused by one of the hybrid or electric cars which scarred all manufacturers so I guess this is just to protect them from the potential law suits rather than protecting users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not ha the letter but my car was booked in for a service yesterday and the service was cancelled by the dealer last week as they did not have the replacement starter/alternator, they are on back order. Apparently if they took the car in for the service they could not release it back to me until the recall had been done as it is a safety related item. Fine for me to drive it in the meantime apparently!

Got my recall letter today - 40 TDi, my service is over due now, glad I waited.

Got my recall letter today - 40 TDi, my service is over due now, glad I waited.
Got my letter yesterday and the dealer has rebooked my service for theweek after next. Let's hope they have kept a new starter aside for me this time!

Work was done yesterday so hopefully the car won’t now go up in flames. They said they’ve done a software update to rectify a few issues and the gearbox seems more responsive when setting off.

Reactions: DaveW
Had my car done yesterday along with a service and all of the issues addressed. Car definitely feels more responsive when driving, not sure if they just reset the gearbox computer or updated the software. Also CarPlay no longer has the dead zone on the left hand side of the screen

They also tried to sell me a ‘deal’, next 2 services for only £500, I laughed and told them hopefully I won’t be as unfortunate to own it when the next service is due in 10000 miles let alone 2!