Start/Stop Question (S-Tronic)

Pook

Reaction score
Just picked up my new A3 yesterday (as a replacement for a previous one after a successful car rejection), and I have noticed a difference in the start stop technology with my new one:

The engine is now cutting out at about 1-2mph as I am very slowly coming to a standstill as opposed to my previous car when I had to be fully stationary. Has anyone experienced this and is it normal?

Furthermore, in my old car I could always keep the engine running by very lightly holding the brake pedal, it wasn't until I fully depressed the brake the engine cut. Seems strange it is now cutting when still on the move, albeit very slowly.

I have noticed mine will stop whilst in the last few feet of movement forward when coming to a halt sometimes, rather than when fully stopped. The pressure on the brake pedal does effect it coming on, but I have to say you have to be fairly light to stop it activating.
Makes me smile every time it cuts in on the RS, think it's fitted to just enjoy hearing it startup rather than save fuel!

Reactions: Pook and pburv
My S3 doesn't. Only comes on (when I forget to disable it) when fully stopped with brake hard on.

Edit - no, it doesn't give me a hardon but you get what I meant.

Last edited:
Reactions: S32B, Pook, Nikon and 3 others
My S3 doesn't. Only comes on (when I forget to disable it) when fully stopped with brake hard on.

Edit - no, it doesn't give me a hardon but you get what I meant.
Cheeky...:haha:

Reactions: Pook and WarwickL
I have to be fully stationary on mine for it to cut out.

Reactions: Simon L, Pook, pburv and 1 other person
Mine cuts down at 1 - 2mph as well if i'm using medium to firm brake pressure

Reactions: Scottyg, pburv and Pook
Mine does the same, cuts out before the car stops moving.

It is one of the more aggressive start/stop systems I've encountered!

Reactions: pburv and Pook
Thanks everyone for the replies, nice to hear everyone's experiences. I'm expecting my 2 day courtesy call today so will ask about it. WarwickL, what makes you certain this is abnormal?

Thanks.

Reactions: pburv
Some interesting reading in my A3 owners manual - and very contradictory!

Page 91
"Brake the vehicle to a stop. The engine will be switched off SHORTLY BEFORE the vehicle comes to a standstill OR when the vehicle is stationary* "

* = may vary in different countries.

So I'm guessing the system is set up different depending on region which I find odd.

But then to continue the contradiction:

Page 92
"You can control whether or not the engine is switched off by varying the pressure on the brake pedal. For instance, if you brake gently in stop-and-go traffic or before turning off at a junction, the engine will remain on while the vehicle is at a standstill. As soon as you press the brake pedal harder, the engine will be switched off"

Why is nothing ever just black and white lol!

I don't see how you can use this varying pressure feature well if the engine cuts before it is stationary. I much preferred my previous when the engine behaved what I would deem as normal.

Page 91
"Brake the vehicle to a stop. The engine will be switched off SHORTLY BEFORE the vehicle comes to a standstill OR when the vehicle is stationary* "

So I'm guessing the system is set up different depending on region which I find odd.

Page 92
"You can control whether or not the engine is switched off by varying the pressure on the brake pedal. For instance, if you brake gently in stop-and-go traffic or before turning off at a junction, the engine will remain on while the vehicle is at a standstill. As soon as you press the brake pedal harder, the engine will be switched off"

I don't see how you can use this varying pressure feature well if the engine cuts before it is stationary. I much preferred my previous when the engine behaved what I would deem as normal.

Regress and buy your "previous" :)

In my s-tronic it's never cut out while still moving. On my previous car it did it but that was a manual. I can come to a stop and control the S/S with brake pressure. As our upside down buddy said (@WarwickL) mines works perfectly well.

Reactions: Pook, Simon L, pburv and 1 other person
I wouldn't mind being upside down across your way! Definitely better weather.

Reactions: WarwickL and Simon L
23be35f16d32ffe228f5e9b156a8bac8.jpg

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv, Terminator x and 2 others
I've never experienced it cutting out before you stop. And it is true that you can prevent it cutting out by braking carefully - but you need a real soft touch and concentrate hard!
I also have hold assist option. If that is active, then I find that braking to a halt activates the brakes as soon as you stop but you need to keep your foot on the brake for longer (maybe a second) for stop/start to kick in. In this mode it's much easier to control start/stop.

Page 91

Page 92

This is exactly as I experience it - so it might not be logical, but it's not a fault either then.

I have noticed a further trend - when I slow down and I am coming to a stop the gearbox/engine does one of two things with 50/50 frequency-

1. When the engine gets to idle and is slowing down at about 3-4mph, the gearbox stays in second gear even at this snails pace, and this is the scenario when the engine cuts at 1-2mph. (1st gear is never selected by the gearbox, it goes from 2nd to then cutting out)

2. When the engine gets to idle and I'm down at 3-4mph the gearbox then selects 1st gear, and it is from this scenario I can then become stationary before the engine cuts, and I can successfully use brake pressure to keep the engine running or not.

This seems very odd to me. Booked in with the technician on Friday for a road test. I'm praying it's not another major problem after already rejecting the same car type due to a gearbox and brake issue and have only just received this as replacement. It isn't getting a third chance if this is serious.

I very rarely see D1 on a normal days driving. Only once at start in the morning and same when driving home. Even at full stop it takes off in D2.

I very rarely see D1 on a normal days driving. Only once at start in the morning and same when driving home. Even at full stop it takes off in D2.
Ok thanks for that, that lowers my ****** pressure slightly then ha.

The S3 shifts up at 6mph from 1st to 2nd and holds 2nd till about 3mph and then always changes down to 1st. It does slip the clutch quite a bit if youre still in 2nd but never pulls off in 2nd.

I'm surprised the 7 speed is so different, unless it's because it's a dry clutch and not wet?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

H
The S3 shifts up at 6mph from 1st to 2nd and holds 2nd till about 3mph and then always changes down to 1st. It does slip the clutch quite a bit if youre still in 2nd but never pulls off in 2nd.

I'm surprised the 7 speed is so different, unless it's because it's a dry clutch and not wet?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
mm, blood pressure sl-ow-ly ri-si-ng.....

My 7 speed is up in 5th by 30mph and 7th by 45mph. Hence I average 47-50 around town and 65+ on a run. It'll hold on longer if I stick it in Sport/Dynamic but the difference is negligible unless you're booting it. Even when the SS kicks in and I set off it's straight into 2nd, not first. I'll try and get it on video the next time I'm out.

I think mine's like this as well. Pretty well always in D2 when coming to a stop. But I never see the engine stop before the car stops moving. I think it goes down to S1 when in sport, but not certain as I don't oftwn have it in sport when driving normally - only when I want to nip past something!

On the auto stop, my previous a3 diesel needed to come to a complete stop for a split second before the auto start kicked in, was reasonably easy to control with brake pressure. However my S3 auto stop kicks in just before stopping... I actually like it and find it far smoother taking off. Sometimes on the A3 it would be quite jerky when starting from auto stop unless I brought the brake up a touch to start the engine before pulling off.

Both s-tronic 6 speed

Reactions: pburv
On the auto stop, my previous a3 diesel needed to come to a complete stop for a split second before the auto start kicked in, was reasonably easy to control with brake pressure. However my S3 auto stop kicks in just before stopping... I actually like it and find it far smoother taking off. Sometimes on the A3 it would be quite jerky when starting from auto stop unless I brought the brake up a touch to start the engine before pulling off.

Both s-tronic 6 speed
Thanks for that. I'm not sure if it's just a lottery as to how it they work, or whether in fact they've been set up different, who knows!