Start/Stop/No Engine Restart - STronic

sukrw

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just picked up an S3 2013, yes loving the car, return to Audi after a 6 week departure to BMW - but I'm back!

Quick question - pulled up at the top of my drive yesterday, pulled to a stop to let the girlfriend out, the car went into stop mode engine cut out and green A symbol on the dash - all good, after about 30 seconds as the gf was unloading the shopping the dash changed from a green A to a grey A as if to say it was coming out of stop/start mode into engine running ... BUT ... the engine never started - it stayed OFF.

I took my foot off the foot brake to see if that would re-start the engine but the car just started to roll down the drive with no engine. The only way I could start the car was to stop using the foot brake, put it into P on the gear and turn off the key and then start by turning the key to on.

Is this "normal"? Never happened before.

I have 12 months Audi warranty but just wanted to ask or if I should take it back for them to look at it?

Only had the car 4 days and this is the first problem with the stop/start I have noticed so far. It has always come out of the stop mode by iteself as I pull off etc.

Thanks.

Normal. Open a door, and start/stop is disabled.

Reactions: pburv, Ignition1 and Scottyg
Ah ok, so if stop/start gets disabled due to a door being opened whilst it's in the "stop" mode, the engine stays stopped? Even if it's the passenger door not the drivers door?

Thanks

Last edited:
It does this for loads of different reasons not just opening a door, if you take your seat belt off it will do the same thing under that scenario.

Reactions: pburv
Thanks guys for your help and advice, I will investigate but it would seem that this was the case - door was opened and I may have also took my seat belt off - can't recall but probably.

Audi do love their safety - and rightly so

:)

Reactions: pburv
Should not the handbrake go on when the door is opened though, its a bit dangerous to have a car being able to roll down a slope.

Should not the handbrake go on when the door is opened though, its a bit dangerous to have a car being able to roll down a slope.

Two thoughts;

Why should electrically actuated handbrakes differ in that respect to cable operated handbrakes? The old fashioned ones don't go on when you open a door.

What happens when you're trying to park your car, and, as is common with these eye-wateringly expensive alloys, you're trying not to touch the kerb. I will often crack the door open a bit to get a better look. If the handbrake came on then it'd be infuriating!

Edit:

Scratch that, the manual says it does;

Last edited:
Mine goes on automatically when I release the seatbelt and open the door when the engine is in the same mode, which is what the op said he'd done, and that's why it differs from a mechanical one...