Start Stop Malfunction

Za1n97

Reaction score
Hi all,

Every time I start my Audi A3 2.0 diesel 8v it comes up with a Start Stop Malfunction.
It hasn't worked once for me since owning the car. I believe it is a common issue?
Does anyone know what this could be due to? Also, is it something that could cost a bit to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Zain

I believe from comments on here in the past that Start/Stop errors can be thrown up by all manner of actual problems (and maybe none).
You need to find out what actual error codes have been thrown up. If it’s done this since owning the car, take it back to the dealer would be my advice. Probably minor problem.

Mine does this on the odd occasion. I've taken it into Audi and never been able to find anything wrong with it.

Almost everything is connected to stop start.
Throttle, clutch, gearbox, air con, lights, abs etc.
Could be anything wrong somewhere and stop start will malfunction.
Had a problem with a mini before and it took ages to figure out as it was intermittent. In the end it was a sensor or something had an implausible signal but went away after a few restarts. Ecu didn’t flag anything up but stop start did.

Thanks for the Replies!

Took it to the garage today and a few fault codes came up. One was to do with a blocked DPF...
My Mechanic didn't know why the Stop Start Function doesn't work, when I drove after, the message stopped appearing but the stop start function still doesn't work!
Think I will just prevail.

Thanks for the Replies!

Took it to the garage today and a few fault codes came up. One was to do with a blocked DPF...
My Mechanic didn't know why the Stop Start Function doesn't work, when I drove after, the message stopped appearing but the stop start function still doesn't work!
Think I will just prevail.

A lot of parameters must be met for stop start to work in a healthy car. Engine temp, battery voltage, what’s on etc
Outside temp has an effect too.
If your dpf is in need of a regen then stop start won’t work till it’s done.
Go for a long drive with highish revs and it will help

Find it funny how start stop varies for people. My mums A1 even after driving around quite a bit won't kick in, my S3 will occasionally kick in after driving a few hundred metres.

My start/stop 'malfunctions' all the time. I've set a parameter using VCDS so that it will never cut in.