1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start Stop Malfunction

Za1n97 Sep 13, 2018

1. Za1n97

Za1n97 New Member

Hi all,

Every time I start my Audi A3 2.0 diesel 8v it comes up with a Start Stop Malfunction.
    It hasn't worked once for me since owning the car. I believe it is a common issue?
    Does anyone know what this could be due to? Also, is it something that could cost a bit to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Zain

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member Team Brill Red saloon Audi A3

I believe from comments on here in the past that Start/Stop errors can be thrown up by all manner of actual problems (and maybe none).
    You need to find out what actual error codes have been thrown up. If it’s done this since owning the car, take it back to the dealer would be my advice. Probably minor problem.

4. DonnyDriver

DonnyDriver Active Member

Mine does this on the odd occasion. I've taken it into Audi and never been able to find anything wrong with it.

5. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Active Member

Almost everything is connected to stop start.
    Throttle, clutch, gearbox, air con, lights, abs etc.
    Could be anything wrong somewhere and stop start will malfunction.
    Had a problem with a mini before and it took ages to figure out as it was intermittent. In the end it was a sensor or something had an implausible signal but went away after a few restarts. Ecu didn’t flag anything up but stop start did.

6. Za1n97

Za1n97 New Member

Thanks for the Replies!

Took it to the garage today and a few fault codes came up. One was to do with a blocked DPF...
    My Mechanic didn't know why the Stop Start Function doesn't work, when I drove after, the message stopped appearing but the stop start function still doesn't work!
    Think I will just prevail.

7. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Active Member

A lot of parameters must be met for stop start to work in a healthy car. Engine temp, battery voltage, what’s on etc
    Outside temp has an effect too.
    If your dpf is in need of a regen then stop start won’t work till it’s done.
    Go for a long drive with highish revs and it will help

8. oli356

oli356 Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi S3 S tronic

Find it funny how start stop varies for people. My mums A1 even after driving around quite a bit won't kick in, my S3 will occasionally kick in after driving a few hundred metres.

9. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi A3 quattro

My start/stop 'malfunctions' all the time. I've set a parameter using VCDS so that it will never cut in.