Start Stop - How do you code it like this !!!!

C2 DTN

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I want mine like this !!

Reactions: andywil13
Does that mean that it will not work at all in normal circumstances but operating the switch will put it back into normal mode. If so that could be useful for the times when you know you are going to be stopped for some time, such as a level crossing.

Oooooooo.....Start/Stop that remembers its last setting, now that is cool!!!

Yeah, it basically remembers the last setting so if you turn it off, it stays off till you turn it on rather than every time you re start the car

Sounds very good. All we need now is the VCDS code !

I think a bit of playing around will be required... Might get a chance to play tomorrow so if I do and if I remember I'll try and drag the laptop out to have a look.

I just had a look at the website for the company that produce the module. The unit adds a memory function to the switch so that it stays in the last position it was set. Great but I doubt if it is something that can be done just using VCDS It requires a memory module as well.. The only problem is that the module from KFZ-Modul.at cost €99.00. Rather expensive. I think I will just leave mine permanently off and switch the engine off myself if I know I'm going to be stopped for a while.

You'd think the Audi boffins would have implemented this, though it is now 2nd nature that sometimes I just forget I had turned it off.

Ahh... Makes sense being an extra module I guess.

Doesn't put me up nor down, I quite like stop/start lol

You'd think the Audi boffins would have implemented this, though it is now 2nd nature that sometimes I just forget I had turned it off.

I assume they're forced to have it default to 'On' each time you start in order to be able to use it for emission figures etc. If you could force it off permanently they'd probably have to up the book figures for CO2 and reduce the published MPG figures too.

I assume they're forced to have it default to 'On' each time you start in order to be able to use it for emission figures etc. If you could force it off permanently they'd probably have to up the book figures for CO2 and reduce the published MPG figures too.

Correct - it has to be enabled every time the car is started.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about tbh but then I have a manual so it's easy to control when it activates without having to faff about feathering the brake pedal.

I don't have any issues either. Just what is the problem?
Start/Stop works OK, particularly with a manual gearbox. But although I can hold my car on the brake with my s-tronic without the Start/Stop cutting the engine, I have found on several occasions in the split second it takes to move my foot off the brake and on to the throttle to pull out of a junction or on to a busy roundabout the engine cuts out and you miss the gap whilst the engine re-starts. So as I have the choice I have decided to switch it off permanently. If I'm going to be stopped for a while I will just turn the engine off myself.

It's a vcds code I think which can switch off the stop start. Think I've seen it somewhere here on the forum. However if it's permanent not sure.

There's no direct way of disabling it via VCDS but you can fiddle with the voltage limit setting which means, whilst technically still enabled, it'll never activate.

There's no direct way of disabling it via VCDS but you can fiddle with the voltage limit setting which means, whilst technically still enabled, it'll never activate.

That's exactly what I've done. Change the voltage parameter from 7.6v to 12.1v and the Start/Stop never cuts in. Very simple change.

This is right, and also the reason RossTech won't support people trying to turn it off. It's very dodgy legal ground, because you are taxed for the car based on the assumption that the system is in place. I wouldn't be advertising the fact that I had done it if I had... I'm sure your insurance company might have something to say about it too!

This is right, and also the reason RossTech won't support people trying to turn it off. It's very dodgy legal ground, because you are taxed for the car based on the assumption that the system is in place. I wouldn't be advertising the fact that I had done it if I had... I'm sure your insurance company might have something to say about it too!

Since when have insurance companies been interested in fuel consumption or C02. On that basis any change using VCDS is a 'modification' which should be notified to the insurance company as it will make the car different from it's original EU type approval. I assume the German company Kufatec have TuV approval for their module, which does exactly the same, if it is required as TuV approval is required for ANY modification in Germany.

In the case of the Start/Stop this is used by the manufacturers to be able to claim lower fuel consumption figures in the laboratory type tests they have to do, but cannot be that important to the EU type approval otherwise the driver would not be able to switch it off every time they got into the car. Not all cars are required to have Start/Stop. But DRLs are another requirement of EU type approval and these must be fitted to ALL cars and these are regarded as important enough to not allow the driver to turn them off.

Last edited:
Reactions: a3_phil
Insurance companies are interested in any reason they can find to not pay out!

Insurance companies are interested in any reason they can find to not pay out!

When my insurance companies have paid out anything on any of my cars, including a total write-off when I was in Germany, they have never asked any silly little details. What difference would it make to them if the Start/Stop is switched off automatically or by me every time I get in the car.

If I was involved in a high speed accident, when the car was being driven by a driver who was not listed as the main driver and the performance of the car had been upgraded by being chipped or similar and they had not been told then perhaps they might start asking questions, but not for something as silly as was the Start/Stop on or off when there is a switch only the dashboard that allows the driver to switch it off anyway.

Last edited:
I'm just saying - there are legal implications with that value, so be careful spreading around knowledge about it or the fact that you've done it. I'm not going to stop you, it's just a warning. Rosstech consider it dodgy enough that they won't support it themselves.

Ross-tech don't support a lot of things done using VCDS mainly because they don't know how to do some things or that they are not relevant in the US. You only have to look at VCDS Wiki to see loads of things they do not mention because they have not investigated them. A lot more information about what can be done with it on Audi models comes from German forums rather than Ross-Tech themselves and the Germans are subject to much stricter rules on what they can and cannot do to their cars. For any modification to be legal it must have TuV approval. German companies offer the same solution in the form of a module that plugs in to the OBD port and I've just noticed that an Austrian company now offers a mod that includes a memory function to retain the position of the Start/Stop switch so that it is not reset by turning off the ignition. Just selling these in Germany is illegal unless they have a TuV approval.

I think you own mod of fitting a Dash Camera and adding the wiring yourself might be of more interest to an insurance company because the extra wiring has not been carried out by a qualified workshop and could possibly, in their opinion, result in a electrical fire.

In my case all I am doing is getting a dash board switch to switch off every time I turn on the ignition. As I've said before Start/Stop is not a legal requirement but just a way of the manufacturers being able to claim a lower fuel consumption in their laboratory tests and look good in the eyes of the public. In my personal experience it can be dangerous on a car with an s-tronic with the engine cutting out just as I'm pulling out of a junction or pulling on to a busy roundabout. All I am doing is following the information given on this forum by another member.

I don't think the Police are going to be driving around with copies of VCDS to check that all A3s have their Start/Stop enabled and the function is not included in the current MOT test and what's more my particular car will not be subject to am MOT test whilst in my ownership because I will sell it before it requires one. Before I trade-in the car I promise I will change the voltage setting back to it's factory setting

I accept your 'warning' about legal implications but I choose to ignore it on the grounds of personal safety. Let's just leave it at that shall we.

Reactions: Tom_L
Was following this thread and thinking about getting the feature disabled when my car arrived because I only encounter a light amount of traffic to and from work. Car arrived yesterday and when I asked the dealer he stated that the car didn't even have the feature as they don't put it on cars for this region/market (Cayman Islands).