Start/Stop Electrical Whine?

Ludus

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed an electrical whine noise coming from the vehicle when the engine starts? Sounds similar to a squeaky brake pad.
I think it's coming from under the drivers seat in the MHEV system so I assume it's normal, although I don't remember hearing it in any of the test drives I did.

It's quite loud though and now that I've noticed it, I hear it ever time the start/stop system works and it's starting to drive me a little bit crazy!

Has anybody noticed an electrical whine noise coming from the vehicle when the engine starts? Sounds similar to a squeaky brake pad.
I think it's coming from under the drivers seat in the MHEV system so I assume it's normal, although I don't remember hearing it in any of the test drives I did.

It's quite loud though and now that I've noticed it, I hear it ever time the start/stop system works and it's starting to drive me a little bit crazy!
I’ve heard relatively faint (to my middle aged ears) electrical whining on acceleration and braking. And occasionally the engine stops with a bit of a squeak (which I assume to be the motor-generator braking the engine).

I have exactly the same electronic noise. It is very very annoying. The production date is October 2020. What is the production date of your car? I saw on a forum that golf 8 with the same engine have the same noise too. what's weird is that some car don't have it

I'm not sure I heard any thing like that (although I haven't been listening out for it). Will listen closely today. Maybe I would also need to turn my music off to hear it, or the rest of you can still hear it with music on?

I’ve heard relatively faint (to my middle aged ears) electrical whining on acceleration and braking. And occasionally the engine stops with a bit of a squeak (which I assume to be the motor-generator braking the engine).
I'm in my early 20's, maybe that's why I can hear it so clearly :tearsofjoy:

I have exactly the same electronic noise. It is very very annoying. The production date is October 2020. What is the production date of your car? I saw on a forum that golf 8 with the same engine have the same noise too. what's weird is that some car don't have it
My production was September 2021. It's a very annoying sound it's starting to drive me round the bend!

I'm not sure I heard any thing like that (although I haven't been listening out for it). Will listen closely today. Maybe I would also need to turn my music off to hear it, or the rest of you can still hear it with music on?
No I can't hear it with music on, problem is sometimes I like to just drive in silence and enjoy the car. Try driving at night and turn music and climate control off, listen for an electrical whine under the seat area as the engine starts.

I have the same engine as you, but mine does not have the phone box, or electirc lumbar support (is this even an option in UK?). I do have the C&S pack though, anyway, I will have a listen esp when the car is started. My car is RHD though.

I have the same engine as you, but mine does not have the phone box, or electirc lumbar support (is this even an option in UK?). I do have the C&S pack though, anyway, I will have a listen esp when the car is started. My car is RHD though.
Yes mine is RHD too, it is a UK option as I have it ;)

Had a proper listen, and no whine. Maybe something to look forward to

Hello , have you found a solution to the problem?
it is a very annoying noise. It would be necessary to know if all the models are concerned and what are the production dates of the vehicles concerned.
mine was produced in October 2020

Hello , have you found a solution to the problem?
it is a very annoying noise. It would be necessary to know if all the models are concerned and what are the production dates of the vehicles concerned.
mine was produced in October 2020
Mine is built in October 2020 too (1 USB c + 1 regular USB). I don't think I ever heard any electrical noise from the start/stop.

May be you should get it checked by Audi?

Mine is built in October 2020 too (1 USB c + 1 regular USB). I don't think I ever heard any electrical noise from the start/stop.

May be you should get it checked by Audi?
Thank you for your answer. The noise can be heard without the radio, it's very fast, it's an electronic noise like an ultra sound

I've taken mine to Audi today and they said it's normal as that's where the MHEV system and internal relays are. I'm not sure though, as some don't appear to hear it...

Reactions: DreamInCode
I've taken mine to Audi today and they said it's normal as that's where the MHEV system and internal relays are. I'm not sure though, as some don't appear to hear it...
Well the older we get the less high pitchy frequencies we can hear. I remember back in the day with CRT based TVs (with that you can guess my approx age) I could hear this faint high pitched whining if and when the TV was left on with no picture (eg...sattelite box off, but we didn't turn the TV off). My parents would also said they heard nothing. Likewise with those ultrasonic insect repellent, I could hear back then this annoying high pitched sound, which again, my parents couldn't! Was the Audi technicial around your age or much older? if the latter, then I guess yours has this noise which the rest hasn't noticed / can't hear.

Reactions: DreamInCode
audi told me the exact same thing, but i doubt.
my car was produced in October 2020 and yours in September 2021 so there is a problem that still has not been resolved