Start button question

hellodave

Reaction score
My old car (C7 A6) had a start/stop button very similar to my S4, i.e. press to switch on ignition/engine, press again to switch off engine/ignition. But in the A6 if you pressed the button again after switching off the ignition it had the same effect as opening the door - it locked the steering, turned off the MMI and turned on the courtesy lights. This was useful at night, e.g. where you want the lights to find your keys but didn't want to open the door if it's cold and wet. It's the same on a (non keyless) 8V A3 - when you pull the ignition key out the MMI goes off and the lights come on.

As far as I can tell the start button in the S4 either switches the ignition on or off, there's no "key out" setting. If you stop the car and press the button again it just switches the ignition back on. I can't find any way to turn on the interior lights and shut off the MMI without opening the door, which is rather annoying. I feel I'm missing something obvious - am I?!

I had a look around in the mmi settings when I first got the car as this wasn't something I was used to either coming from BMW's but didn't find anything. The only way around it that I've found so far is to pull the door handle but dont actually open the door. Be interested to know if there is a proper solution. I'm used to it now though, its good for when I'm listening to a song I like but I've reached my destination I can cut the engine off enjoy the rest of the song then pull on the door handle when I'm ready for the courtesy lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hellodave
Why is there any need to turn off the MMI? When you open the door, with the ignition off, it turns off by itself..

Reactions: RaZ A4
Why is there any need to turn off the MMI? When you open the door, with the ignition off, it turns off by itself..
I know, but that's not the point.
The point is I don't want to have to open and close the door just to switch the MMI off and lights on. A button would be more sensible for when you park and need to wait in the car for a few minutes.

It's a minor issue, just annoying after being used to the A6.

Reactions: blackb9er
I agree that the courtesy lights should come on once the ignition is switched off and not have to open the door or press the lights manually...was hoping you could set this somehow in the MMI but haven’t found it yet!

I much prefer the S4, the A6 used to annoy me, and i was frequently leaving the ignition on after leaving.

I much prefer the S4, the A6 used to annoy me, and i was frequently leaving the ignition on after leaving.
How? Just curious - the A6 always powered everything off when I opened the driver's door, same as the S4.

My mk3 focus used to leave the radio on until I opened the drivers door as well, I thought this was good feature. Can't please them all I guess...

My mk3 focus used to leave the radio on until I opened the drivers door as well, I thought this was good feature. Can't please them all I guess...
True
Thing was the A6 gave you a choice - you could switch everything off by opening the door OR by pressing the start button a second time, which should please everyone. The S4 takes this choice away, and that's irritating!

I haven't tried but if all you're wanting is the interior lights on to find your keys, can't you just press the light switch above your head if the start/stop button doesn't do it?

My radio stays on in my S5 after pressing the on/off button until I open the driver door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't tried but if all you're wanting is the interior lights on to find your keys, can't you just press the light switch above your head if the start/stop button doesn't do it?
Yes, but then I have to remember to turn the light off again. Not a major hardship but inconvenient compared to the A6.

I realise there are plenty of ways to turn the light on, mute the MMI etc, I just find it annoying Audi have taken a backward step and removed the option to press the start/stop button a second time. I can't see any problem with leaving it as it it was in older models.

I can't say I've actually noticed the problem (not sure if that means my interior lights come on using the start button to stop, or not), but did have an issue with the interior lights/puddle lights not coming on and discovered it was related to the light switch being set to auto.....or not.

Somebody soon I guess will say there Hyundai does this ;-)

Reactions: Rocksteve69
Yes, but then I have to remember to turn the light off again. Not a major hardship but inconvenient compared to the A6.

I realise there are plenty of ways to turn the light on, mute the MMI etc, I just find it annoying Audi have taken a backward step and removed the option to press the start/stop button a second time. I can't see any problem with leaving it as it it was in older models.

You don't actually have to remember to turn off the lights as once you shut the door and lock the car the lights turn off just as they normally would. :)

in my A4 sline 16plate I have to just run my finger/hand over the light in the roof pod and the courtesy lights turn on/off regardless of engine running or not.

if this helps

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Good points re the lightswitch - that works well. Thanks!

The A6 had a switch that physically toggled on or off, so I didn't realise the S4's would be different.