Star/Asterisk on steering wheel loses function intermittently.

Speedychuck

Reaction score
My programmable Star/asterisk button on steering wheel loses its function intermittently- I have it set to switch drive select modes because I think the drive select button on the dash is in a daft position.

Sometimes it works fine, and then other times, it doesn’t do anything and I have to go to car settings in the mmi and set it again. In there it looks like it’s already selected, but as soon as you select it again, it’s fine.

Anybody else have this problem?

cheers.

Mine only doesn't work for drive select when the car has just been turned on, as the drive select button won't work then either

Never had an issue outside of this (as the above isn't even an issue)

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Mine only doesn't work for drive select when the car has just been turned on, as the drive select button won't work then either

Never had an issue outside of this (as the above isn't even an issue)

oh ok. Interesting to hear. There’s a few times I’ve pressed the button to change the mode when the parking sensors are on, and it seems this might be one of the things that locks it up. Afterwards it doesn’t work at all until re selecting it. The drive select button on the dash still works fine during the problem.

oh ok. Interesting to hear. There’s a few times I’ve pressed the button to change the mode when the parking sensors are on, and it seems this might be one of the things that locks it up. Afterwards it doesn’t work at all until re selecting it. The drive select button on the dash still works fine during the problem.
You can't press drive select when the parking sensors are up even if you use the normal button. After the sensor display disappears then the drive select screen would show up

Drive select is a mystery to me. When driving locally I usually have it set in the economy mode, but this does not register next to the selected gear display on the dash next time I get into the car. When I go into drive select I find I am in economy mode and then it registers again on the dash as an E next to the gear display.
This would lead me to think the problem is not the programmable Star/asterisk button on steering wheel, but the drive select function/set-up.

Colin

OP, I’ve noticed the same when setting off. Sometimes it is changing it as on the VC it shows you going through them but doesn’t come up on the MMI. Sometimes doesn’t do it at all.

Using the proper button does work still.

Last edited:
Drive select has to be "reset" every ignition cycle, it won't stay in the previous drive select after turning off the engine, if this was economy, on restart it won't still be in economy it'll be back to "normal".
This has been talked about plenty on the forum.

Yes. seems to have got worse since software update to fix B&O sub issue.

mill also have B&O so perhaps this is related

OP, I’ve noticed the same when setting off. Sometimes it is changing it as on the VC it shows you going through them but doesn’t come up on the MMI. Sometimes doesn’t do it at all.

Using the proper button does work still.

this sounds exactly my problem. I also have vc. Do you have b and o as well?

Drive select has to be "reset" every ignition cycle, it won't stay in the previous drive select after turning off the engine, if this was economy, on restart it won't still be in economy it'll be back to "normal".
This has been talked about plenty on the forum.

my car always starts up in the mode I switched it off in. Without fail. Every time. My a4 never did. I just thought they’d changed things in the s3

mill also have B&O so perhaps this is related

this sounds exactly my problem. I also have vc. Do you have b and o as well?

my car always starts up in the mode I switched it off in. Without fail. Every time. My a4 never did. I just thought they’d changed things in the s3

Yes I have B&O but not had anything updated recently.

My programmable Star/asterisk button on steering wheel loses its function intermittently- I have it set to switch drive select modes because I think the drive select button on the dash is in a daft position.

Sometimes it works fine, and then other times, it doesn’t do anything and I have to go to car settings in the mmi and set it again. In there it looks like it’s already selected, but as soon as you select it again, it’s fine.

cheers.

My S3 was one of the early FL ones and this has been a common known issue since then, over 3 years ago.I also use it for drive select and the only way around it to re-program it each time it “fails”
Very poor when you’ve paid this amount of money for a car.

My S3 was one of the early FL ones and this has been a common known issue since then, over 3 years ago.I also use it for drive select and the only way around it to re-program it each time it “fails”
Very poor when you’ve paid this amount of money for a car.

that’s really disappointing to hear. Mine is an April 2017 car, so I guess that still makes it an early facelift.

have you taken it up with Audi? As I’ve only just purchased the car, it’s still covered by their so called offer that In the first 30 days of ownership if I find a fault that they can’t fix then they will allow me to return the car, so it may give me some leverage.

that’s really disappointing to hear. Mine is an April 2017 car, so I guess that still makes it an early facelift.

have you taken it up with Audi? As I’ve only just purchased the car, it’s still covered by their so called offer that In the first 30 days of ownership if I find a fault that they can’t fix then they will allow me to return the car, so it may give me some leverage.
Think you'll find the fault has to be more Significant than something trivial such as the button forgetting it's function

Also as stated, if you search the forum the drive select will not be in the same mode. If you turn it off in dynamic (as such exhaust open) it won't start in such so you'd have to recycle to dynamic again. Its an eco thing or something.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Think you'll find the fault has to be more Significant than something trivial such as the button forgetting it's function

Also as stated, if you search the forum the drive select will not be in the same mode. If you turn it off in dynamic (as such exhaust open) it won't start in such so you'd have to recycle to dynamic again. Its an eco thing or something.

Ok fine. I wasn’t planning on handing the car back anyway, more just putting some pressure on them. If something doesn’t work as designed, it doesn’t work. Not really sure how one thing is more trivial than another in that situation.

as for the drive select, if I turn my car off and it’s in dynamic, then go back to it two days later and start it up, it will still be in dynamic. If I put it in economy, the same happens. 100%

Here’s a link to the thread I started back then. My car is Nov 2016, ordered Sept 2016 pretty much the month the FL was released.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/steering-wheel-shortcut-button.315763/

Ok fine. I wasn’t planning on handing the car back anyway, more just putting some pressure on them. If something doesn’t work as designed, it doesn’t work. Not really sure how one thing is more trivial than another in that situation.

as for the drive select, if I turn my car off and it’s in dynamic, then go back to it two days later and start it up, it will still be in dynamic. If I put it in economy, the same happens. 100%

It’s not as straight forward as that. This has been discussed endlessly as @Adam14 alludes to. It might say Dynamic on next start up but it’s not.

Reactions: Adam14
With the latest mmi software updates the asterisk problem is solved. For mmi plus the latest version is 1326.
Partnumber: 4M0906961BQ
SVM MHI2ER5089
TPI 2049923/4

For the mmi basic (sd card based satnav) its version 235,
4M0906961CC
SVM MHS2ER2035
TPI 2042635

Both only for facelift models! Also, B&O users get subwoofer control with these software updates:)

Ask your dealership about the TPI codes. They could lookup the software updates with these codes.

Last edited:
Here’s a link to the thread I started back then. My car is Nov 2016, ordered Sept 2016 pretty much the month the FL was released.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/steering-wheel-shortcut-button.315763/

It’s not as straight forward as that. This has been discussed endlessly as @Adam14 alludes to. It might say Dynamic on next start up but it’s not.

oh wow, thank you. So I guess mine isn’t as early as yours, but still suffering the same problem. I see what you mean about the modes there on startup. So the car looks as if it’s in dynamic, it says dynamic on the screen, but it isn’t dynamic? I knew I had to knock the car into S but thought that was it.

I usually park the car in efficiency because the mrs uses it. When it restarts, it still behaves as if it’s in efficiency- drops the clutch and coasts when you throttle off etc. So it must still remember something.

With the latest mmi software updates the asterisk problem is solved. For mmi plus the latest version is 1326.
Partnumber: 4M0906961BQ
SVM MHI2ER5089
TPI 2049923/4

For the mmi basic (sd card based satnav) its version 235,
4M0906961CC
SVM MHS2ER2035
TPI 2042635

Both only for facelift models! Also, B&O users get subwoofer control with these software updates:)

Ask your dealership about the TPI codes. They could lookup the software updates with these codes.

mine definitely has subwoofer control, so I guess it’s already been done. It’s still a far cry from the Harmon kardon system in my 135i which had an 8 or maybe 10 band graphic eq. But it sounds good!

I will still ask the dealer To check software versions as it’s going in on Friday for the wireless charger. Thanks for the info.

oh wow, thank you. So I guess mine isn’t as early as yours, but still suffering the same problem. I see what you mean about the modes there on startup. So the car looks as if it’s in dynamic, it says dynamic on the screen, but it isn’t dynamic? I knew I had to knock the car into S but thought that was it.

I usually park the car in efficiency because the mrs uses it. When it restarts, it still behaves as if it’s in efficiency- drops the clutch and coasts when you throttle off etc. So it must still remember something.

mine definitely has subwoofer control, so I guess it’s already been done. It’s still a far cry from the Harmon kardon system in my 135i which had an 8 or maybe 10 band graphic eq. But it sounds good!

I will still ask the dealer To check software versions as it’s going in on Friday for the wireless charger. Thanks for the info.
Subwoofer control is since two software versions earlier. Check your mmi system to check which version you have or give them the TPI numbers.

Subwoofer control is since two software versions earlier. Check your mmi system to check which version you have or give them the TPI numbers.

ok will take a look. Can I see it with vcds? I have the full version.

Why in this day and age are we not able to update this ourselves?
Probably because people will download a dodgy copy and end up bricking their entertainment system or damage to that effect I'd guess.

Probably because people will download a dodgy copy and end up bricking their entertainment system or damage to that effect I'd guess.

That applies to almost everything thats software based......even with normal map update you can brick your system :)

Reactions: Adam14
That applies to almost everything thats software based......even with normal map update you can brick your system :)
True, but I suppose a software update is more fundamental on the underlying system itself, so much easier. Just an assumption, but I get your point, wouldn't be difficult to implement a system for the car to verify the update and allow it to be done.

im sure the OTA system was what caused the delay in the latest Golf. With all the driver assists and automations on cars the system needs to be secure from hacking etc.

cheers.
I've had this exact thing happen on my 2017 S3 a couple of times now. The actual drive select button works just fine when the asterisk doesn't, so it hasn't been too much of a burden.

Good to see from the replies in this thread that a SW fix rectifies it.

so the car is in at the dealers now. I told the guy that was dealing with me that I wanted my mmi software upgraded to the latest version because of the problem, which typically I couldn’t demonstrate at the time. He said the software would already be up to date otherwise the car would have had a recall. Wasn’t interested in updating the software.

couldn’t help thinking the guy was a bit of an arrogant ****.

they called just now and said the star button works fine so there aren’t any problems. They haven’t changed any software. Now I need to film the problem happening or as far as they’re concerned, it doesn’t exist. On the plus side, they are replacing the wireless charger which is what it went in for.

typical crap I would expect from a main dealer.

so the car is in at the dealers now. I told the guy that was dealing with me that I wanted my mmi software upgraded to the latest version because of the problem, which typically I couldn’t demonstrate at the time. He said the software would already be up to date otherwise the car would have had a recall. Wasn’t interested in updating the software.

couldn’t help thinking the guy was a bit of an arrogant ****.

they called just now and said the star button works fine so there aren’t any problems. They haven’t changed any software. Now I need to film the problem happening or as far as they’re concerned, it doesn’t exist. On the plus side, they are replacing the wireless charger which is what it went in for.

typical **** I would expect from a main dealer.
Another case of owners knowing more than the dealerships. They are ignorant, this is a known issue and has been since the FL came out. As many have said on here, recent updates may solve the issue, but dealers are blissfully unaware!

Another case of owners knowing more than the dealerships. They are ignorant, this is a known issue and has been since the FL came out. As many have said on here, recent updates may solve the issue, but dealers are blissfully unaware!

it really is terrible customer service.

My steering wheel doesn’t sit central either. I bought the car 3 weeks ago from an Audi main dealer, albeit not the one I had gone to.

Asked if they could check the tracking. Figured they must be able to if they replace suspension components.

Again, not interested. Told me to go to a tyre and exhaust place.

I asked how that worked with recalibrating the steering angle sensor. Again not interested.

I can calibrate it myself, but it’s not really the point. Very poor service.

it really is terrible customer service.

My steering wheel doesn’t sit central either. I bought the car 3 weeks ago from an Audi main dealer, albeit not the one I had gone to.

Asked if they could check the tracking. Figured they must be able to if they replace suspension components.

Again, not interested. Told me to go to a tyre and exhaust place.

But this isn't warranty work. A bit cheeky expecting this dealer you didn't buy the car from to fix minor niggles FOC. It's up to whoever sold the car to sort this.

Reactions: Phutters
But this isn't warranty work. A bit cheeky expecting this dealer you didn't buy the car from to fix minor niggles FOC. It's up to whoever sold the car to sort this.

I wasn’t expecting that FOC. Just more surprised that it’s not something they can do.

Reactions: Phutters and Matt Titanium
About four years ago my tyres had worn slightly unevenly the dealer recommended via Audicam - tracking (£120 + vat) and two tyres (£270 + vat).
I declined.
You may get a few thing done on good will if you have history with a dealership but generally they are only interested in warranty work that they can back charge to Audi.
I can see minor annoyances like the star button not working properly because of software design glitches being more of a problem with manufacturers adding ever increasing numbers of unnecessary toys and peoples expectations of these systems.