Stange noises.. CV Joint?

RyanS3TT

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a strange whining noise (when turning cold) and it then goes into a knocking noise once the car has warmed up.

Around my local motorway roundabout its a constant little thud.

Local garage said CV boot is split and I do travel around 400 Miles a week.

Does this sound like the Joint(s)? and does anyone know how much work it is to replace both?

Also The car seems to pull both elft and right on the motorway randomly. Anyone had this before?

Thanks Ryan

If the CV boot has split and you are driving like that or have been driving like that for a while then its possible the CV joint will have suffered considering the weather and your mileage...

As to if its your problem its difficult to say... normal signs of CV wear are a kinda clunking noise on full lock... they don't tend to make a noise when travelling straight (unless completely ******** I guess)... never had one that bad to comment...

This guide I wrote should give you an idea of whats involved in changing CV's etc..
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...7-driveshaft-gaiter-replacement-tutorial.html

Granted its the inner but the outer CV is not any different practically...

If you don't fancy doing this yourself, Badger5 is just up the road from you off J13 M5 ;P

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty,

It doesnt seem to do it straight line, Its mostly roundabouts. but I rarely go full lock.. And it doesn do it Slow Speed (Car Park Speed).

I Think I will tackle this one with my brother. - We tend to work on these things togeter, we Did Turbo Uprgade on old golf, Cambelt and engine mounts, upgraded Brakes and fitting a decat. - This shouldnt be too much.. I Hope.

Arent you in gloucester too Tuffty?

Im down in Clevedon (Junc 20)

Yes I am mate... can be found assisting Bill most weekends off J13 :D

Regardless of the noise the CV will need to be looked at if you have a split boot... prob worth while replacing the joint as a kit... GSF do GKN ones at a good price and have used them myself...

<tuffty/>

Bit of a hi-jack here.

When I got my car, it made a rumbly/rattly noise when I pulled away on some right steering lock. I looked, the gaitor was loose, but no split too bad, and luckily I have a spare. On sat, i got my 16's off the car, and put my 17's on, and within 5 miles, it knocks/rattles in a straight line, and even worse on right steering lock. A completely ruined CV gaitor the likely cause, due to the extra weight and force needed to get the bigger wheels going? I am getting no rumbling through the steering wheel, so I assume it's not a buckled wheel, bulge in tyre etc..

Thanks to Tuffty, My 1.8t is booked in with Bill @Badger 5 Tommorrow YAY :yahoo:

Ive ordered both CV joints and boots.

However sods law.. Driving today the knocking felt like it was coming from the rear...

Im still giong to replace the CVS but i am now confused as to if it is the rear what it could be..

Ive ordered both CV joints and boots.

However sods law.. Driving today the knocking felt like it was coming from the rear...

Im still giong to replace the CVS but i am now confused as to if it is the rear what it could be..

Knocking at the rear is typically an ARB drop link... had this myself...

Should be able to slide under the rear and give them a tug (fnarr!) to see if its the case...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the quick reply Tuffty will check this tommorow/saturday..

Theyre not too much are they ££?

Thanks for the quick reply Tuffty will check this tommorow/saturday..

Theyre not too much are they ££?

I got mine from GSF but can't remember the price tbh as it was in with a bunch of other stuff I bought... don't believe they were more than a tenner each though

<tuffty/>

The noise got one hell of a lot worse today, from no where it is now a rumble that increasing with speed.

Luckily I have 2 wheel bearings and 2 cv joints and boots.

Does anyone know if the car is safe to drive until I can get it done?

Its a rumble in a straight line and loud as i turn right.

Also how much extra work is there to do Bearings as well as Joints? As I was quoted £80 Cash for Joints and may ask them to do Bearings aswell..

Unless I can do it from my drive?

Also Tuffty, you said something about Badger5..
Would he be able to Help or Do the job?

The noise got one hell of a lot worse today, from no where it is now a rumble that increasing with speed.

Luckily I have 2 wheel bearings and 2 cv joints and boots.

Does anyone know if the car is safe to drive until I can get it done?

Its a rumble in a straight line and loud as i turn right.

Also how much extra work is there to do Bearings as well as Joints? As I was quoted £80 Cash for Joints and may ask them to do Bearings aswell..

Unless I can do it from my drive?

If you have to ask the question about if your car is safe to drive I would imagine the answer to be not really... I would be tempted to keep the driving to a minimum until you get it looked at...

Bearings require a press to fit... you have to press the flange out then press the bearing out... there is also a particular way that the flange is pressed back into the bearing else you will destroy the bearing...

Also Tuffty, you said something about Badger5..
Would he be able to Help or Do the job?

Yes, Bill at Badger 5 can do this work... his contact details are in his forum on ASN...

<tuffty/>

Took it to the garage with the Cv Joints and Bearings and the garage said they think my Driveshafts are nackered. (Both?)

And to get my gearbox looked at by Gloucester Road Gearboxs?..

The noise starts at around 5mph. continues to get louder and faster with speed until it dies out at 50ish..

It is more noticable when turning.. Slightly louder when going right and more so when turning left.

This has really baffled me, the guy at Tyres Direct said fitting the Cv Joitns and Bearings would be a waste of time as he doesnt think it is them?

Anyone know these symptoms? Drive shafts dont seem to be cheap :/

Took it to the garage with the Cv Joints and Bearings and the garage said they think my Driveshafts are nackered. (Both?)

And to get my gearbox looked at by Gloucester Road Gearboxs?..

The noise starts at around 5mph. continues to get louder and faster with speed until it dies out at 50ish..

It is more noticable when turning.. Slightly louder when going right and more so when turning left.

This has really baffled me, the guy at Tyres Direct said fitting the Cv Joitns and Bearings would be a waste of time as he doesnt think it is them?

Anyone know these symptoms? Drive shafts dont seem to be cheap :/

if both inboard and outboard joints are gone it maybe that its cheaper to replace the whole shaft as a unit than buy individual joints but not seen a 'shaft' get damaged before so not sure what they mean... could be just a generalisation to circumvent typical customer ignorance to mechanical terminology and what they actually mean is that both joints have gone on both shafts...

inboard joints are typically unaffected by turning as such as they are designed to take up the shafts plunge as shafts will move in and out a bit as you turn... its the outer CV's that take the punishment and are potentially the source of your issues..

Without seeing/hearing your car I can't comment fully on your particular problem but if you are not happy and need a second opinion then I am sure Bill would oblige..

<tuffty/>

I think ill take that offer up Tuffty,

However I have got £70 for both driveshafts (Breaking car) - Unsure as to weather I shuold get them just incase.

If you get them then at least you can sell them on if you don't need them... better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them...

<tuffty/>

Good point..

Also Does Bill ahve a workshop @ Junc 13? - How would I arrange him to give my car the once over?

After all of the panic and buying new parts, I think it was all down to a warped disc and wheel bearing.

Yesterday when driving home the noise was constantly there, had to accelerate to get infront of a lorry then brake harder than normal and the noise got a lot louder.. (This is how the noise first started (Braking hard) )

I stayed at low speeds on motorway, on the down hill I sped up, knocked the car into neautral to see if there was any difference in noise tone, when I put the car back in gear the noise had gone, and now all i have is a faint wine from the wheel bearing, its constantly there but not a worry..

Very confusing though....