Standard vs Supersport Seats

BMC

Reaction score
Well three months into owenership and apart from the car being with Audi for 2 weeks (and getting a brand new RS4 as my courtesy car!!) for an engine issue everything is going well.

My previous cars include a Fiesta ST, Golf R and M140i..all very capable cars.

In terms of performance the RS3 leaves them for dead. However there is one small issue which is a real pain- the seats.

Now (perhaps stupidly) I decided to go against the added expense of the super sports seat in favour of the standards which are still nice. However I’ve noticed these seats are perhaps the worst I’ve experienced at holding you in place whilst cornering. To the point where I feel more planted cornering a 2.0 TDI Scirocco than the RS3.

The RS4 courtesy car I had had perhaps the best seats I’ve experienced in a car- they held me in place and tightened the faster I went. The best way to describe it as as if the car was pivoting around me.

So for any of you who have invested in the Supersport seats; are they worth it? Are they more well bolstered than the standards? Thoughts and opinions please.

Also take any questions on the RS4 experience!

Reactions: NevMan
I believe the side bolstering on the supersport seats are slightly larger compared to the standard seats (correct me if I'm wrong someone) but not to the point that they hold you in very well. I still get a decent amount of movement in my seat going around bends and it's not as though I'm stick thin or anything.

What did you think 3 vs 4?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

There is not much in it between the standard sport vs super sport seats. The SSS do look nicer and appear to offer a little more side supportt but you would be hard pushed to really notice the difference.

The main observations I have between the seats is that the Super Sports seats leather / faux feels a lot softer to the touch which might aid in keeping your bum from sliding and hugging you.

The second observation is that if you tilt the front of the seat up so your knees are above your bum and angle the seat slightly back the seats appear to offer much better support that if you simply have them flat ( if that makes sense when reading ).

From the pic, you can just make out top of the seat into headrest and headrest are marginally different between Sport and Super Sports seats.

5BD6D992 72D4 4171 A503 8AC259DDE0AD

Regds
Jungle

Last edited:
The SS seats are not exactly figure hugging seats, but they are better than the standard seats (hence the premium).

But on a car like the RS3, they should have been standard anyway. Not only do they lift the overall look of the S3 / RS3 cabin, but they must surely be an item most second hand buyers will be keen to see fitted.

Reactions: sve170
What did you think 3 vs 4?

TX.

To be honest I can see why people are raving about the RS4, by god is it fast. I know there isn’t much in it vs the FL RS3 however with the low torque and much more noise in the cabin, it feels considerably quicker.

Again as I alluded to I threw it into corners and it felt tight and well balanced, the steering in dynamic was heavier than in the RS3 (which I feel is a bit too light in dynamic) and you could get a feel for the bends a lot more, which is odd in a huge estate car.

The interior is a step above the RS3, my loaner had the Carbon interior, and ambient lighting and it looked stunning especially at night time.

However, I have never been more disappointed with the noise and fakery involved in what should be the pinnacle of the A4 range. The one I had didn’t have the sports exhaust and I have heard Dyson’s that sound more mean. I know wirh new regulations etc but I actually believe the s4 sounds better than the RS4, strange as that may sound.

Also the fake noise pumped into the cabin although it does add more drama to the non petrol head- anyone who has even the slightest notion about cars will pick up on it immediately. Although it did leave me wishing that more (real) noise was emitted into the Cabin of the RS3.

Immediately when I got the RS3 back I realised just how much better it does sound, we all take it for granted because of the insanity of the PFL but it still is arguably one of the best and most distinctive sounding cars for under £100k.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Callump01, AB RS3 and 3 others
^^ I'll be at GTi International this weekend with the 4 and was there last year with the 3 so can tell for sure which one is quickest off the line at least ;)

TX.

Might try to pop along on the Sunday. It's only an hour down the road for me. If I do, I'll have the dirtiest TT-RS at the show!

Reactions: Terminator x
SS seats were a must have when I was looking for my RS3. But as above they should be standard just for the looks alone!!!.

Well, I think I am well placed to comment on this based on real experience!
2014 S3 Standard SS
2016 RS3 Standard SS
*2018 RS4 Standard RS4 SSS and
*2018 S3 with SSS
* current

In my opinion the SSS in the S/RS3 are a complete waste of money. The base is the same and with the exception of integrated headrests and 'Bentley' style stitching feel no difference at all. They look nice but not worth the money IMHO. The only reason I have them in my S3 (Daily driver) is that it was a dealer spec'd car and the deal was superb.

In my B9 RS4 the standard SSS are a completely different product than in the 8V S3/RS3 and are very comfortable, love the massage function etc.

As for the RS4 sound.. Both sport and non sport exhaust are quiet as they are in the FL RS3.. It's the way things are going.. Spending £1200 on a sport exhaust is just bonkers. I have heard both B9 side to side. TBH I am probably getting a bit old to drive a noisy hooligans car anyway!

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and jimojameso
I agree - the SS seats look good but they are not any more comfortable than the standard seats and they do not support you in the slightest; really they should just be called premium seats because that’s really all they are.

I do find it a shame that the S/RS 4/5 Seats aren’t in the RS3 - I can’t see any reason why not and they are more comfy and have massage functions as well. No doubt the seats will be one of the biggest changes in the next version of the A3.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
At least with standard seats, electric adjustment is available - how a 60K car does not have electric adjustment is a peetake by Audi.

Reactions: sve170 and RS3 S.
At least with standard seats, electric adjustment is available - how a 60K car does not have electric adjustment is a peetake by Audi.

It's to make sure you tick that option box, and they get a little extra money out of you.

Id love to put a set of the 4 or 5 seats in the rs3 wonder how much of a nightmare it would be

Reactions: RGBARGEE
.............have to go along with you on that. Same as the folding mirrors!!!!. F#$king rip off as an option!!!.

Reactions: Behind The Bins
In the 4 you have setting 1 and 2 and can run two settings with just a button press.

TX.

I realise that but totally pointless faff IMHO. I am the main (only so far) driver, the seat is set up perfectly, it's easy to get in and out so no point. Maybe if a regular couple of drivers were using the car but even then it's hardly a chore to adjust manually. As for options, I am pretty convinced that you can get bigger discounts with more option boxes ticked so let's say 1% = £600 squeezing another 2% = a free sunroof! I got 10% on RS4 and nearly 17% on S3 .

I got 10% on RS4 and nearly 17% on S3 .
Wow, that is impressive discount on both models. I’d be surprised if anyone else has got this level of discount....pity that 10% wasn’t available on an RS3, or I’d have one snapped up.

Had electric sports seats on my 2015 RS3, liked them a lot although the faff or sending them back/forwards each time upon exit/entry gets on yer nerves.

Super sports on the new RS3 and I like them a lot to be honest, great to sit in, make the cabin area a nicer place, manual adjustment for speed

Reactions: Rob2k68
Had electric sports seats on my 2015 RS3, liked them a lot although the faff or sending them back/forwards each time upon exit/entry gets on yer nerves.

Super sports on the new RS3 and I like them a lot to be honest, great to sit in, make the cabin area a nicer place, manual adjustment for speed
Not sure the SSS make the cabin a nicer place when you are driving.. quilting looks OK. SS and SSS seat base is identical. Never move seats at allon entry and exit, why would you unless you are very short?

Wow, that is impressive discount on both models. I’d be surprised if anyone else has got this level of discount....pity that 10% wasn’t available on an RS3, or I’d have one snapped up.
Only got 6% on 16 RS3 and a couple of services and free Lifeshine. The discount on the S3 was an end of April dealer deal on a showroom car 'let's get the numbers for our bonus discount'.

Not sure the SSS make the cabin a nicer place when you are driving.. quilting looks OK. SS and SSS seat base is identical. Never move seats at allon entry and exit, why would you unless you are very short?

Just my opinion

Pretty much like I prefer the sports exhaust and you don’t.

But then no doubt you’ll reply to this saying I’m wrong on that too.

Reactions: Marshy
Just my opinion

Pretty much like I prefer the sports exhaust and you don’t.

But then no doubt you’ll reply to this saying I’m wrong on that too.
You are not wrong. £1200 for a p poor sport exhaust on an RS4 B9 is bonkers in my opinion, there is minimal difference but if you like it fair enough.

I wouldn't mind electric seats as an option on the SSS. I do actually move the seat about depending on the weather and what I am wearing, a large warm coat in winter for example tends to push you a bit more forward in the seat so a quick tweak on the electric seat button would be a nice easy adjustment.

Also the SSS seats are generally more desirable to potential buyers when you come to sell up, traders/dealers that made offers on my PFL car that I recently sold, stipulated that it had to have the SSS option for them to be interested in buying it off me.

I wouldn't mind electric seats as an option on the SSS. I do actually move the seat about depending on the weather and what I am wearing, a large warm coat in winter for example tends to push you a bit more forward in the seat so a quick tweak on the electric seat button would be a nice easy adjustment.

Also the SSS seats are generally more desirable to potential buyers when you come to sell up, traders/dealers that made offers on my PFL car that I recently sold, stipulated that it had to have the SSS option for them to be interested in buying it off me.
People will always have different views. SSS look nicer but feel the same in an 8V RS3. Dealers will also say must have Tech pack, SSS, Rear camera Pan Roof etc etc to make you think yours isn't worth what you think it is. You could tick all the option boxes and then be told 'nobody wants a Christmas tree'.. FL exhausts are a lot quieter than PFL. Someone did a Db test and a PFL standard exhaust was noisier than a FL sportier exhaust.
My seat is always right back so no need to adjust.

Super sports seats all the way. Doing around 800/900 miles a week and I fell fresh and fit as a fiddle when I get out of the car. Plus they look so damn good too.

Reactions: RS3 S.