Standard Vs Bose sound system, help needed

rammy.1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm currently looking for an Audi A3 2.0 TDI sport on a 2004 plate.

I could do with a bit of advice, my original plan was to get one that has a bose sound system. Although I've seen a car that I really like, nice colour, low miles, nice wheels, excellent condition, but it doesn't have the bose sound system.

Should this put me off buying the car, is there a huge difference in sound quality?

Thanks in advance

having not heard a bose system i cant comment on it, but i think the standard system is pretty good, sounds nice and you can crank it up quite a way without it distorting, if i were you id test drive the one youve seen and take some of your own cd`s with so you can see what its like with your music

i've owned two cars with BOSE and it's a good system, but nothing to get all hot and bothered about. if you were interested in modifying an aftermarket sound system would definitely sound better than the BOSE one, but the BOSE one is pretty good for OEM and for the relatively small amount it costs new from the factory.

the bose is the speakers and amps but the head unit there is no much difference with bose you would hear alot of base and better quality in sound. in standard youll find your self putting the base up . Bose is worth having

i have the bose and my brother does not ..... massive difference in sound quality and punch from the sub woofer ! i wouldnt choose a car on it though mate

Thanks for the advice.

It will be a step up in quality from my 2 three way speakers in my micra.

ive just got a 2004 2.0tdi sport the other week mate lol

its got cruise, heated leather, bose, sat nav etc kitted out quite well...i must admit the speaker system is top of the range and really good sounding with a good bass behind it!
although my mate has an a3 without and that sounds just as good...there is clearly a slight difference else they wouldnt put it as an extra but if its the right car but hasnt got bose then still get it, its not a huge difference

ive just got a 2004 2.0tdi sport the other week mate lol

its got cruise, heated leather, bose, sat nav etc kitted out quite well...i must admit the speaker system is top of the range and really good sounding with a good bass behind it!
although my mate has an a3 without and that sounds just as good...there is clearly a slight difference else they wouldnt put it as an extra but if its the right car but hasnt got bose then still get it, its not a huge difference

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the car

Thanks for the advice.

It will be a step up in quality from my 2 three way speakers in my micra.

haha i liked that.

I test drove one with and one without and bought the one without because of the better mileage and condition.

Bear in mind you can replace oem speakers but you can't wind the clock back ;)

having heard both systems i would say the bose wins it but there's not alot of difference in them as the standard system is perfectly able , its better to have bose but not essential in my opinion

haha i liked that.

I test drove one with and one without and bought the one without because of the better mileage and condition.

Bear in mind you can replace oem speakers but you can't wind the clock back ;)

haha cheers

That seems the sensible option.

I think I will struggle to get a high spec one with bose etc and low miles, I'm only 19 and working as a trainee draughtsman, my budget is about £5500, from what I've seen over the last month the higher spec cars with low mileage sell for 6k plus and are snapped up quickly.

6300 mate

with 65k on the clock...and everything absolutely spotless except i payed 300quid for some new tyres as soon as i got it...hence how i knocked 400 off the 6700 he wanted :D

6300 mate

with 65k on the clock...and everything absolutely spotless except i payed 300quid for some new tyres as soon as i got it...hence how i knocked 400 off the 6700 he wanted :D

Seems like you've got a good deal there, it's kitted out well for the money plus the low miles.

dont be put off with std one, u can always updragde the speakers more specs more money you know that

Seems like you've got a good deal there, it's kitted out well for the money plus the low miles.

yer mate well chuffed with it

thing is i wanted face lift one badly but saw this and was more than happy with it rather than paying 7k + for one, as i can always upgrade the front end in the future

I found Bose better, when I test drove an S3 without Bose I could tell the difference. I found it to be a far more clearer and richer sound and for that reason I had to get it

Thanks for the advice everyone. The best thing I can do is go and test drive it and decide from there.

I have a NON bose system in my car, but i have amped my rear speakers with a kicker amp, and it sounds amazing! Its so clear.

For bass, a bose system won't do anything. Get yourself a REAL sub and amp. Kicker or Orion HCCA 1,000 watt ;-)

I have a NON bose system in my car, but i have amped my rear speakers with a kicker amp, and it sounds amazing! Its so clear.

For bass, a bose system won't do anything. Get yourself a REAL sub and amp. Kicker or Orion HCCA 1,000 watt ;-)

Fahim, i have over 6k in audiophile/spl gear in me cupboard(3x AWT12X 2Kw RMS each, Directed 2400d RMS monoblock applifier 2 ohm stable, Alumapro50 Farads power cap, Focal poliglass/MB Quart components,0 gauge wiring kits) wich i keep as i wanna fit-it in me next car, soo far nearly all had Bose and they sound amasing. Had a Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.5 amplifier wich i sold a few years ago (propper old skool gear) and some alpine digital processors... The allroad i have now with Symphony and Bose is the best system i heard in a 10k car soo far...With a decent head-unit they get even better. You right, you can get better sound system but will require lot of work, if you plunge for the Bose, you might be allright for a while...

Just to add my 2p worth, I have the Bose and it is a good system, but really it depends on what type of music you listen to and from what source.

I listen to the radio a lot and for me the Bose does little to improve the sound, but stick in a CD and the difference is clear. Bear in mind I like real music, not the dance/rap/drum and bass you get from Kiss or Radio 1, so I need a system that produces clear bass and mid range.

I would say the Bose is worth it if you want to use digital media sources and the type of music you like requires deep bass and mid range. If you like listening to classical or 'pop' music on the radio then don't bother.

Reactions: Samy boi
The Blowse is like going from a table radio to a boombox. There is an improvement but nothing to tell your nana about.

JNP;1164098 Bear in mind you can replace oem speakers but you can't wind the clock back ;)[/QUOTE said:
Dont worry about it mate, dealer does it for you !!!!

My car has Bose and my parents doesn't and for me I wouldn't have an Audi without it be it Bose or B&O.... As said though it depends what you listen too. My Dad listens to Classic Gold 1260AM so Bose does nothing for that!!! :laugh:

Really depends on your preference of music too. I have Bose in my S3 and find that the bass is more apparent when played at lower volumes as opposed to playing music at louder volumes. Also depends on the source material and the quality. I have found however from friends that system upgrades in both Merc and BMW are much better then the Audi in my personal opinion. On another note i heard the Bose system in the TTRS and this sounded awesome! Granted the space is much smaller in a TT but the TT also comes with more speakers then the S3. I think Audi should have put more speakers into the A3/S3 when you select Bose as an option!

If you want more bass then my advice would be to look elsewhere as Bose wont really deliver on this front!

having heard both systems i would say the bose wins it but there's not alot of difference in them as the standard system is perfectly able , its better to have bose but not essential in my opinion

Said it for me ^ :)