Standard spring differences (rears)

mattyboy199

Reaction score
I recently replaced my rear springs & after digging around on the net i learnt that 3 silver dot springs should allow my car to sit lower in place of my 5 pink dot rears although they had cracked it was unlikely anything standard would sit lower than them.

Anyway i purchased some 3 silver dot springs 1J0511115DE unfortunatley once fitted the car looks hideous (to high). I have since been digging around requesting dimensions top to bottom of new & used springs mainly on ebay & anywhere that gives dimensions of VM springs.

I've copied this from another post it lists springs availible, some of you might be able to help if you have springs laying about. What i have learnt is that any springs designed to fit a veichle after 2003 will be 20mm longer than any manufactured before (regardless of paint markings)

A quick look on vag cat shows the TT and S3 share the following rear springs:

Part No.s and paint marks -
1J0511115CR 5 marks violet
1J0511115DD 2 marks silver
1J0511115DE 3 marks silver
8N0511115E 1 mark red - this is also noted as for sports type running gear under the TT which might be the sline or quattro suspension
The following was also listed for the S3:
1J0511115BM 5 marks blue
The following was also listed for the TT:
8N0511115F 2 marks red for sports type running gear
8N0511115G 3 marks red for sports type running gear
1J0511115DF 4 marks silver

So theres quite a few springs about, dimensions i have so far are listed below (violet is assumed to be pink):

1J0511115CR 5 marks violet - 190mm
1J0511115DD 2 marks silver
1J0511115DE 3 marks silver - 204mm
8N0511115E 1 mark red - 173mm
1J0511115BM 5 marks blue
8N0511115F 2 marks red
8N0511115G 3 marks red - 173mm
1J0511115DF 4 marks silver

Unless people dont really care i'm hoping we can work out & list the differences, of course some people will use lowering springs which is fine however i really dont want the hassle of camber issues, snapped rear tie bars & the need for re-alignment nor do i want to purchase another set of springs that make my car look like a real 4x4.

Regards,

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Westy
I'm thinking about getting a pair of rear springs from ECP. The only issue is that theirs have 2 silver dots, whereas the ones on my s3 have 3 silver dots...does anyone know the difference?

I have two OEM used sport springs available if any one wants a pair..

I'm thinking about getting a pair of rear springs from ECP. The only issue is that theirs have 2 silver dots, whereas the ones on my s3 have 3 silver dots...does anyone know the difference?

i think the 3 dot springs just replace the previous 2 or 1 dot springs however you may find your car sits quite high

Erf i also have a 2002 S3 the original springs were 5 dot pinks & I replaced with 3 dot silver & since learnt that they are 14mm longer. I'm not 100% but i assume all silver dot springs are 204mm.

Try either of these:

VM Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer (this is an oem part)

or if you want it to sit a little lower

VM Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

or

TRW Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

The sachs springs dont give you a length dimension so who knows what you will be getting

Just received the Sachs springs - they measure 187mm by my reckoning! That's a 17mm drop on the standard 3 silver dot springs I had on the car. Will dramatically affect the suspension geometry? Still got standard tie bars...

Also just noted that the link to the Sachs spring in ECP states 'For vehicles without sports suspension', but it says it's fine for the S3...:uhm:

My opinion is that the a 190mm spring or there abouts is correct for the S3 however it seems some cars with RSTT rims had a lowering spring factory fitted, i suspect this is the red dot springs used on the Sline TT. I m Interested to see how it sits once their fitted....so pics please

Also just noted that the link to the Sachs spring in ECP states 'For vehicles without sports suspension', but it says it's fine for the S3...:uhm:

How did you get on with the springs in the end ?

I just fitted some 2 red dot TT springs to the S3 the gap has reduced from 4 fingers to 2 fingers, it looks good

How did you get on with the springs in the end ?

I just fitted some 2 red dot TT springs to the S3 the gap has reduced from 4 fingers to 2 fingers, it looks good

could you please advise where you got your 2red dot tt springs from?
How much where they, if you don't mind?
and how does the car drive?
are there front springs to match the red dot rears, if so what are they?

sorry for all the questions, but your thread is very useful

kind regards
Andy

sorry another question what was the length of the 2red dot springs?

ap I managed to find a decent set of red dots on ebay. They measured just over 180mm which I assume is due them expanding slightly where they are not under compression. The car drives fine and sits a little lower than the pink dot springs (centre of centre cap to arch 35.5cm). I haven't looked at front springs as my original rears had snapped.

Buy these you wont have any problems TRW Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Last edited:
Replaced my rear springs for Mot with kyb ones from Ecp they were not the 2 silver dot replacement but the ones for sport suspension they are about 20mm lower but looks good. Replaced shocks also but went for the kyb replacements on Ecp. Feels ok need to get front done now.