Standard Speaker to Replace Bose Speaker?

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I've got factory BOSE in my TQS and both front speakers are crackling. From what I've seen it's a bit of a pain to install aftermarket speakers. I don't mind sourcing a set of BOSE Speakers but I was just wondering if the standard speakers would fit/work with the BOSE setup?

Anyone? I did a bit more digging and discovered that it's only the driver's side that's crackling. I also found that using aftermarket speakers isn't as much of a pain as I thought (I think), will some sets wire straight up to the BOSE system? Are there any adapters that are plug and play? I've seen a few options on eBay and don't really want to have to hack up and file the original plastic mount or any new adapters.

So I did even more digging and I'm confident I've got my answer... I'll share what I've found in the hopes it helps someone else... I'm gonna be using images from the following threads:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/88590-Pics-of-front-door-speakers-inside-(non-bose)
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/532910-Want-to-replace-door-speaker

So as far as I can tell, this adapter is the one that other people have used successfully to mount 130mm/5.25" speakers to their door card:

Pic 3

I found one video where someone had to modify there adapters but I think this depends on the speaker. You can buy the adapter separately or you can buy speakers that have them included, I decided to purchase a set of Pioneer's that had them included. Both can be found on eBay.

There are plenty of guides on removing the door card so I'm not going to cover this. Once the door card is removed and you've peeled back the layer of foam to reveal the speaker, this is what you should see:

Pic 1

You should see three screws, remove them and then remove the speaker, you should be left with this:

Pic 2

Now you'll want to fit your adapters. Initially, I wasn't sure how they connected but after seeing images from the guides above, I think I've got it. I believe the bottom two screws go in first followed by the third when the actual speaker goes in:

Pic 4

With the adapter now fitted, you now fit whichever speaker you've purchased along with the final screw for the adapter too:

Pic 5

Hopefully this is relatively clear. If I've made any mistakes, please let me know and I'll correct them. I'll update this thread once I've received the kit I've purchased and list any issues I had.

Reactions: B5NUT
So the parts arrived yesterday...

IMG 20200928 230114

Took the door cards out no problem and then removed the original speakers and fitted my adapters:

IMG 20200928 225951

The only issue I encountered was that the original screws were too short so I just used two 4.0 x 30mm screws for the bottom and one 4.0 x 20mm screw for the top. I now have crackle free speakers!

Hi and thanks very much for the notes on this thread. I have a similar problem and am more than curious if you think it could be similar or ‘there could be more to it’ for me? I have the Bose system and since I bought the car only rear and sub in the boot have worked. The tweeters are silent and the fronts crackle terribly. I was thinking replace fronts with after market similar spec (replacement Bose are a bit pricey and second hand only so could just end up with the same problem again?) and then check if this fixes tweeter issue and if not replace.

It sounds like you’ve successfully replaced fronts with similar after market and they can be plugged up to the original amp without needing a rewire...am I reading that correctly??

Anyway, very much appreciate your view and advice from your experience.

thanks

Sorry - should have said ... I already plugged in a replacement amp in case it was the channel issue and still have same issue (so am reselling the amp)...so am keen to learn a bit without too much trial and error on the procurement front!

Hi and thanks very much for the notes on this thread. I have a similar problem and am more than curious if you think it could be similar or ‘there could be more to it’ for me? I have the Bose system and since I bought the car only rear and sub in the boot have worked. The tweeters are silent and the fronts crackle terribly. I was thinking replace fronts with after market similar spec (replacement Bose are a bit pricey and second hand only so could just end up with the same problem again?) and then check if this fixes tweeter issue and if not replace.

It sounds like you’ve successfully replaced fronts with similar after market and they can be plugged up to the original amp without needing a rewire...am I reading that correctly??

Anyway, very much appreciate your view and advice from your experience.

thanks

Not a problem. Sorry to hear you're having issues. I did successfully replace the front speakers but I didn't pick anything fancy, these are what I chose:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Those speakers just plugged straight into what was originally on the door card. This may vary depending on the speakers you buy.

Hope this helps :icon thumright:

Thanks muchly. I found similar but more expensive so you’ve very much helped and appreciate your note back. Why these didn’t come up in ( what I thought was ) an exhaustive search is perhaps the kool ebay algorithm promoting all the more pricey versions(!).
I’ll let you know how I get on - hoping to plug play and enjoy.
Best Regards