Standard seats vs sports seats...

Paul 1979

Reaction score
Been keeping an eye on the market for rs3’s (I’m looking at purchasing one early next year) and just wondered are the sports seats actually any comfier than the standard seats?
I know they don’t look as good and resale wise more people would prefer the ss but with all the different specs and options out there finding one with the spec I’m after could be tricky. Seen a few lovely spec ones but with standard seats in.
Shame none are electric in the RS model which makes me think even more if it matters that much.
comfort is the main aim for me

Cheers Paul

I dont have ss seats in my car but the car I use at work does. Dont notice much difference to be honest. If anything I find the ss seats pinch a bit across my shouders.

If you find a car you like I wouldnt let the lack of ss seats be a deal breaker.

Reactions: Paul 1979
Ive had both seats and I found the standard seat more comfortable . The SS seat are fine for me but i'am only 5,7 I could imagine them getting uncomfortable if your of a bigger frame but on the other hand they look great .

Reactions: sve170 and Paul 1979
SS seats make the interior for me, had them in my S3 so definitely wanted them in the RS!

Very comfortable for me 5.11” medium build, long trip to Scotland recently and no back ache.

Standard seats still look ok but for me they’re a must in an RS.

Reactions: Luiggi, sve170, FBF01 and 1 other person
I dont have ss seats in my car but the car I use at work does. Dont notice much difference to be honest. If anything I find the ss seats pinch a bit across my shouders.

If you find a car you like I wouldnt let the lack of ss seats be a deal breaker.

That’s kinda what I was hoping to hear tbh, thanks

Cheers Paul

Reactions: FBF01
Ss seats look great and make up the majority of the interior looks along with the coloured trim on the dash and door cards. But aside from the that it doesn't have electrical adjustment and adjustable head rest that standards have.

My car came with ss seats anyway so electrical adjustment didn't really bother me. From what I have experienced and what others with standards have told/shown me their comfort levels are similar. I still felt like they were too slidy particularly if you were wearing joggers and taking a bend quite quickly.

Looks wise and if electrical adjustment doesn't bother you SS seats all the way.

If you are not bothered about looks take the standard seats.

If you want something that will keep you in place during spirited driving yet useable for daily driving, I'd recommend the b7 rs4 wingback bucket seats

If you are making your rs3 a track toy or if you have a second car try the 2019 sparco grid q fiberglass bucket seats. These are the best to keep you in place amazing ride position but quite harsh to be using for daily driving ideal for track use with its 6 kg weight

Reactions: jimojameso and Paul 1979
Ive had both seats and I found the standard seat more comfortable . The SS seat are fine for me but i'am only 5,7 I could imagine them getting uncomfortable if your of a bigger frame but on the other hand they look great .

Wow even more comfortable!
Also thinking about it apart from looking inside the car from outside and seeing the seats when sitting you don’t even see them, that’s why I was wondering about the comfort difference, thanks

Cheers Paul

SS seats make the interior for me, had them in my S3 so definitely wanted them in the RS!

Very comfortable for me 5.11” medium build, long trip to Scotland recently and no back ache.

Standard seats still look ok but for me they’re a must in an RS.

Im the same height and build as you buddy.
Don’t get me wrong ideally I’d like them I’m just thinking if push comes to shove.
I know what you mean about them completing an interior and ideally I would prefer the rs design pack, interior lighting, advanced key, etc to make the inside as plush as possible. shame you don’t see the seats when sitting in the car lol

Cheers Paul

Ss seats look great and make up the majority of the interior looks along with the coloured trim on the dash and door cards. But aside from the that it doesn't have electrical adjustment and adjustable head rest that standards have.

My car came with ss seats anyway so electrical adjustment didn't really bother me. From what I have experienced and what others with standards have told/shown me their comfort levels are similar. I still felt like they were too slidy particularly if you were wearing joggers and taking a bend quite quickly.

Looks wise and if electrical adjustment doesn't bother you SS seats all the way.

If you are not bothered about looks take the standard seats.

If you want something that will keep you in place during spirited driving yet useable for daily driving, I'd recommend the b7 rs4 wingback bucket seats

If you are making your rs3 a track toy or if you have a second car try the 2019 sparco grid q fiberglass bucket seats. These are the best to keep you in place amazing ride position but quite harsh to be using for daily driving ideal for track use with its 6 kg weight

Thanks for the info mate,
So the standard seats come with electric base and back adjustment??
I never knew that, I didn’t think any version of seat was electrically adjustable,
I know the lumbar is electrically adj.
Now I’m kinda swaying to standard seats...

It’ll be my daily driver so ideally I’d like it as luxurious on the inside as possible.
I have another car for weekend/drag/fun use.

Do you know if the b7 rs4 seats are a direct fit into the 8v rs3?
I love the look of those

Cheers Paul

As far as I know the standards are electric based. One of my mates, not too sure if he is on the forum, told me that when he specified his car from new he went all out aside from the seats only for the electrical functionality with the base and back adjustments.

As for the b7 wingback, I have heard of a guy who put them in an 8v s3 plug and play and I had ordered sparco seat parts for an 8v s3 to go in my rs3 so it should be plug and play all round. I presume they use the same torque screw because I use the same torque screw set for seats in my b5 s4 as I do with rs3

SS seats all the way!

Reactions: hawesy25 and FBF01
I’ve had both apart from the look , In real world use makes no difference, I didn’t spec them this time round and unless they become more aggressive looking on new models I won’t in the future. I wouldn’t let it break the deal personally. Good luck ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't have the car without them, absolute must have for me. 2nd option ticked after the sports exhaust!
Yep...it’s an RS so needs those SS seats!

Reactions: Luiggi, sve170 and FBF01
As far as I know the standards are electric based. One of my mates, not too sure if he is on the forum, told me that when he specified his car from new he went all out aside from the seats only for the electrical functionality with the base and back adjustments.

As for the b7 wingback, I have heard of a guy who put them in an 8v s3 plug and play and I had ordered sparco seat parts for an 8v s3 to go in my rs3 so it should be plug and play all round. I presume they use the same torque screw because I use the same torque screw set for seats in my b5 s4 as I do with rs3

Ahh ok, I’ll have a look online at a few cars with standard seats and see if they are all electric.
I was a bit gutted when I realised the ss seats were not even electric, bit naughty for a car of this calibre I thought.

I would like the wingbacks, it’s just be forking out 2-3k for a nice set that I wouldn’t be too enthusiastic about lol

Cheers Paul

I’ve had both apart from the look , In real world use makes no difference, I didn’t spec them this time round and unless they become more aggressive looking on new models I won’t in the future. I wouldn’t let it break the deal personally. Good luck ..

That’s what I’m thinking, they are a bit half hearted as far as sports seats go eh,
And especially if they are no comfier.
They do look better agreed but if the right spec came up without them I def won’t think it’ll matter to me especially as I’ve just found out they are electric too!
Thanks!

Cheers Paul

Wouldn't have the car without them, absolute must have for me. 2nd option ticked after the sports exhaust!

Sports exhaust would def be a must, I also want the inside to be as nice as possible, advanced key, lighting pack, tech pack, rs design pack if possible, etc

Cheers Paul

Sports exhaust would def be a must, I also want the inside to be as nice as possible, advanced key, lighting pack, tech pack, rs design pack if possible, etc

Cheers Paul
If you want the interior to be as nice as possible then surely you must have the SS seats. Car will also sell better in future.

Reactions: Riko0073, sve170 and Tristan
If you want the interior to be as nice as possible then surely you must have the SS seats. Car will also sell better in future.

Yes, totally agree the SS seats are a must have option.

Reactions: Riko0073
Don’t get me wrong ideally I would like
The ss but seeing as they apparently ain’t any less comfy and if I see the correct spec car I like and it doesn’t have them then I’m not gonna worry too much about them tbh.
especially if I can get electric standard seats too.
From sitting in the car I’m never gonna be looking at the seats or know what version they are....
And as another member mentioned wingbacks are always an option.
I’m not too worried about resell value, I wanna enjoy the car for what it is and I’ll probably have it a long time.
I’ll just have to see what’s about to buy come early next year

Cheers Paul

Reactions: Riko0073
SS purely for the looks if nothing else, should've been standard as a minimum on the RS (with the wingback Recaros as an option).

Lack of electric adjustment doesn't bother me, don't think the standard seats with electric have memory presets do they which seems pretty naff.

Whole point for me would be to easily adjust between how I have the seat and how my wife does. Memory would make this easy, no memory electric makes it harder than manual really as can't count the number of pumps/turns needed to move the seat to the desired spot :) (it's just the seat hight that changes between us).

The regular seats are NOT electric as standard - that is an extra @ around £600
I personally find the super sport seats to be more comfortasble and more supportive due to the extra wings around the shoulders.
I did not feel as secure in the standard seats with there being less bolstering - especially in corners.
The regular seats are in the Sport and S Line so the super sport seats do give a more RS like appearance and IMO do offer better comfort and support.
I had them in my last car (an S5) so I quickly ticked them for the RS3.
The diamonds are also perforated in the RS which is a nice touch.

Reactions: Paul 1979, sve170 and hawesy25
The regular seats are NOT electric as standard - that is an extra @ around £600
I personally find the super sport seats to be more comfortasble and more supportive due to the extra wings around the shoulders.
I did not feel as secure in the standard seats with there being less bolstering - especially in corners.
The regular seats are in the Sport and S Line so the super sport seats do give a more RS like appearance and IMO do offer better comfort and support.
I had them in my last car (an S5) so I quickly ticked them for the RS3.
The diamonds are also perforated in the RS which is a nice touch.

Agree, SS seats are a must have in the RS and with the stitching and perforations it gives the car that special look on the inside.

Reactions: Paul 1979 and Snake Pliskin

Cheers Paul

Why I went for the advanced leather also, so arms rests on the door are leather than that hard nasty plastic.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Why I went for the advanced leather also, so arms rests on the door are leather than that hard nasty plastic.

The extended leather-ette :)

yeah I had to get that too & think that was around £300 but it does look good & lifts the overall cabin presence as you say ... even if it should have been standard - but you could say that about a lot of kit, especially an RS.

Reactions: sve170 and FBF01
This thread is hilarious.. OP just wants to hear answers that say SS aren't essential.... haha. Sounds like you've already made your mind up!

For me. They're the most important option along with sports exhaust. Anyone that says otherwise doesn't have them in their car and is understandably trying to convince themselves they aren't necessary. We all do it with options we don;t have :)

Reactions: Bells, Riko0073, Drewsus and 3 others
This thread is hilarious.. OP just wants to hear answers that say SS aren't essential.... haha. Sounds like you've already made your mind up!

For me. They're the most important option along with sports exhaust. Anyone that says otherwise doesn't have them in their car and is understandably trying to convince themselves they aren't necessary. We all do it with options we don;t have :)

Well said

I had the ss seats in my S3, i loved the look of them, that stiching is sooooo classy, however i have the standard seats in my RS3 & although they dont look as good i feel more comfortable in these, that said, if i could change them for the ss seats i would.

Reactions: Paul 1979, Dan_DJT and sve170

Totally disagree, I choose not to have the sports seats. Could I have put them in my car? Of course I could, just like I could have ordered the AMG performance seats in my C63.. I didn’t get them as I wanted comfort seats simply because I find sports seat in general uncomfortable on long journeys. Just because a few people think their essential doesn’t mean people try and convince themselves they aren’t necessary.. some people just don’t want them..

Reactions: Paul 1979, Dan_DJT and Jonny B

Sorry I am one that has chosen to not have several options . Not cost related just don’t prefer the alternates . So I’m not trying to convince myself of anything I can assure you .

Reactions: Paul 1979 and Dan_DJT
I don't have them, doesn't bother me at all - you can't see them when you're sitting in them.

They look nicer visually but both the standard and SS seats are pretty crap if you want to do track days or are looking for mid corner support.

I'd have had alcantara seats if I was given the choice :D

Reactions: Paul 1979 and Jonny B
I don't have them, doesn't bother me at all - you can't see them when you're sitting in them.

They look nicer visually but both the standard and SS seats are pretty **** if you want to do track days or are looking for mid corner support.

I'd have had alcantara seats if I was given the choice :D

Agree, they really shouldn’t call them sport seats as they offer ****** all support. They’re one of the worst performance car seats I’ve come across when is comes to holding you in place mid corner.

Are you for real??
I only wanted to know if they are any more or less comfortable than the standard seats, that’s all.
If you’d actually ready my post correctly my question was if I found a car with every option I really want and the the car only had standard seats are they any less comfortable than the ss.
Yes I would like them but if there is no comfort advantage then no I’m not bothered if the car actually doesn’t have them. why is that an issue?
Surely if I’m buying a car to my spec and I’m happy that’s what it’s about isn’t it?
Just because you have an opinion that they are a must have doesn’t mean everyone else has to abide by that....

Cheers Paul

Reactions: Jonny B and Dan_DJT