standard S3 vs S2000

thanks for that....ive just had a look on the other parts of the forum.....didnt realise im 2 miles from custom code.......... gonna have another read through the other posts...... helpful to make a quick decision i think as the janusary sale is on :eek:)

Tim

I test drove 2 S2000's before buying S3's in both cases

Main reason was the Honda rep was a **** - strange how little things affect big purchasing decisions

spiker said:
I test drove 2 S2000's before buying S3's in both cases

Main reason was the Honda rep was a **** - strange how little things affect big purchasing decisions

Funny that isn't it?

I'd probably have bought an S3 last year if the sales guy at Glasgow Audi wasn't such a **** too!!!

moving away from the topic - funny thing at BMW 2 years ago

took missus to pick up new 1 series in my s3 and when the dealer saw what I was driving he actually asked me when i was going to trade in ' that load of rubbish' for a proper car

Now I can be cheeky and take a joke like everyone but he actaully MEANT it - no smile no nothing he was such an idiot and both my missus and I will never again deal with them

That said I am pretty biased against bmw's anyway - cant say I would boycott Audi for the sake of one Audi sales **** though

I also test drove the S2000 before the S3 and it just wasn`t as quick as I expected it to be. Nice but not what I was expecting and I was jap mad at the time.

Same time a seat dealer tried to sell a mate a crossfire stating it had the same chassis as the old SLK to which we answered ah so it will hadle shi*& as well as look shi%% ,..............

was really inderwhelmed with the S2000

looked great - didnt like the way it drove - maybe it was a bad one - I really had to rev it to get it going ( yes I know you are supposed to) but it just didnt put the smile on my face that the S3 did

Would a Civic Type R be faster than an A3? (Not the NEW Type-R's but the facelifted model before that which I think kicked in @ 2003)

Surprised to hear that since:
a) Civic is only 200bhp vs 225bhp of the S3
b) S3 has a Turbo vs N/A Type R
c) I read that the Honda VTEC engines have to be revved high to really push em' vs earlier kick of the S3 Turbo...

My car is bog standard and I couldn't keep up with a CTR a few months ago. We both nailed it off a roundabout and neither was pulling ahead but as soon as it came to the twisty stuff I had no choice but to let him go. It was definitely lowered and the missus wasn't best pleased so that didn't help...excuses, excuses!

I've also had a drag race with an S2000 and was very suprised, I expected to get my @rse whipped but it wasn't the case...don't think I'd do too well where it matters though!

C_Audiboy said:
Funny that isn't it?

I'd probably have bought an S3 last year if the sales guy at Glasgow Audi wasn't such a **** too!!!

I'd probably have dumped my S3 for an M3 after a year or so...if the guy at BMW hadn't been a ****.
He was...I didn't...and then I tuned it to what it ended up as...

When I was looking for my ITR back in 1998/9, I found the Honda guys in Aberdeen complete ***** too...

emzino said:
c) I read that the Honda VTEC engines have to be revved high to really push em' vs earlier kick of the S3 Turbo...

It's simply not possible to make assumptions like that though...

200BHP vs 225 BHP is easily leveled out by either weight, or gearing, or both.

S3's turbo has lots of low down torque...but is flat as a fart by 6000 RPM...S2000 is only waking up then and keeps going to 9000 RPM.
The car with the largest area under the power graph will prove to be the 'quicker'...the graphs are completely different shapes with these two, but with the right gearing it's easy to see how an S2000 may be quicker.

The turbo on the S3 gets more air in = more power.
The huge duration, very high lift cams when on VTEC do the same job - lots of air in = lots of power out.

They drive just as you say...
S3 is all bottom end and fading fast by 6000.
S2000 is linear until 5500ish then more frantic after that...with lots of top end.

emzino said:

I love sweeping generalisations like this, very amusing

I know.
I have 200bhp and 4wd in my jeep,should be able to keep up with them type R's.

emzino

I am referring to a 1.8 T non s3 vs a civic which is what I thought you were asking to compare not an s3

But you cannot make these generalisations without considering so many other factors as the other guys have said

basically i thought you had a 1.8t sport and was being kind in comparison to a civic type r

is this thread still going....blimey lol.........

In hand chaps......remap is imminent so hopefully i wont lose as bad next time haha

I was giving the S3 some beans at the weekend (the wife drives it now) and had forgotten how slow it was to rev the closer you got to the redline :(

thats what screwqed me when up against this S2000 lol....well...made it look worse than it was