Standard Matrix lights vs HD Matrix lights

georgehada

Reaction score
Hello,
I want to buy a C8 and i can't seem to find the difference between Standard Matrix lights and HD Matrix lights.
Does anyone know?
Thank you

Thank you. But is there any difference besides HD Matrix lights having the animated rear lights on locking or unlocking the car?

There are more individual LED's within each cluster, hence the "HD" - not sure how much difference this makes in real life driving.
Also you get dynamic front indicators as well.

Reactions: georgehada
I hope the HD is better than the standard matrix. I’ve got the standard and the lights are nowhere near as good as the adaptive lights in a friends Velar.

I'm answering this a bit late, but thought since I've just gone from an RS7 with HD Matrix, to an e-tron with Matrix I'd say - the HD are way way better.
There's a load more LEDs in the HD one which give better dimming zones. I'm really not impressed with the regular matrix now I've lost the HD version but still, they're better than just LED headlights. The HD ones were smoother and more accurate in how they worked.

Hi. I do apologize for digging up an old thread but there was so much wrong information here posted and potentialy new owners - users - can get confused.

Audi headlights and rear lights:

1) full LED
2) Matrix LED
3) HD Matrix LED
4) Matrix Laser or whatever they will call them.

Now also available with digital Matrix with option to project things…

As a refernece car I’ll take my shape car - A6 C8 and UK market. Same as all EU market realy with the difference of where and if you can get this or that……

Every Audi A6 C8 came out on LED’s as standard (also they did in C7 facelift ‘15).

Every S line c8 came out as standard with Matrix

Every Vorsprung A6 C8 come out with HD Matrix - unless owner have decided either way and trust me they do sometimes.

No A6 C8 got lasers - they been only ever available in RS6.

With S6 as mine you could have spec the HD Matrix over the standard in this case Matrix but it is all depend when you spec you car. From some reasons, UK market have dropped the HD Matrix completely, not sure why…

Even Vorsprung Edition A6 now will not get them.

Now dynamic indicators are always with s line package on the rear, on the front to have them you need HD Matrix or Lasers. That’s not the only difference, HD matrix will give you litlle dance with front and rear lights and lasers lights make me erect !!!

There is also difference between matrix and hd matrix with day to day look and performance with hd matrix have several extra led’s build in the light. To be fair Matrix lights from 2015-2018 have performed and looked better in acfion then c8 standard s line Matrix…

In my opinion is due to lack of parts and less LED inside them and bad design aswell.

HD Matrix at front are completely fifferent then normal S line matrix but on the rear the same except the rear use OLED tech to make that litlle dance for you.

Lasers - the dance is bigger, lights is better and there is more LED’s build
In !

I hope this help

I'm answering this a bit late, but thought since I've just gone from an RS7 with HD Matrix, to an e-tron with Matrix I'd say - the HD are way way better.
There's a load more LEDs in the HD one which give better dimming zones. I'm really not impressed with the regular matrix now I've lost the HD version but still, they're better than just LED headlights. The HD ones were smoother and more accurate in how they worked.
In RS7 you had lasers Matrix hence the reason you noticed difference in performance now

There are also plenty of 2023 (and possibly 2022?) C8 S-lines/Black Editions/S6s with standard LEDs not matrix because Audi quietly dropped the standard matrix lights. Probably due to parts supply I’d guess.

Im not aware of this. What is for sure that they completely change the desing of DRL and now they look very odd and very cheap with only short lane of LED in the corner about 4 inch long

I’ve attached photo of HD Matrix from mine S6 for refference:

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 140
Hi. I do apologize for digging up an old thread but there was so much wrong information here posted and potentialy new owners - users - can get confused.

Audi headlights and rear lights:

1) full LED
2) Matrix LED
3) HD Matrix LED
4) Matrix Laser or whatever they will call them.

Now also available with digital Matrix with option to project things…

As a refernece car I’ll take my shape car - A6 C8 and UK market. Same as all EU market realy with the difference of where and if you can get this or that……

Every Audi A6 C8 came out on LED’s as standard (also they did in C7 facelift ‘15).

Every S line c8 came out as standard with Matrix

Every Vorsprung A6 C8 come out with HD Matrix - unless owner have decided either way and trust me they do sometimes.

No A6 C8 got lasers - they been only ever available in RS6.

With S6 as mine you could have spec the HD Matrix over the standard in this case Matrix but it is all depend when you spec you car. From some reasons, UK market have dropped the HD Matrix completely, not sure why…

Even Vorsprung Edition A6 now will not get them.

Now dynamic indicators are always with s line package on the rear, on the front to have them you need HD Matrix or Lasers. That’s not the only difference, HD matrix will give you litlle dance with front and rear lights and lasers lights make me erect !!!

There is also difference between matrix and hd matrix with day to day look and performance with hd matrix have several extra led’s build in the light. To be fair Matrix lights from 2015-2018 have performed and looked better in acfion then c8 standard s line Matrix…

In my opinion is due to lack of parts and less LED inside them and bad design aswell.

HD Matrix at front are completely fifferent then normal S line matrix but on the rear the same except the rear use OLED tech to make that litlle dance for you.

Lasers - the dance is bigger, lights is better and there is more LED’s build
In !

I hope this help
View attachment 272452
Couple of points. I would question in your post.

For the UK Facelift C7 only the S-lInes got LED, SE and SE Executive models went from halogen (pre-facelift) to Bi-Xenon (facelift). Front fog lights were dropped as part of the facelift.

On the C8, since earlier this year when Audi announced a spec update, all UK C8s get Matrix LED as standard, as per the spec information on the Audi uk configurator. The Vorsprung model is no longer offered on the standard A6, but is still offered on the S6 and the S6 Vorsprung gets HD matrix. None of the A6 or S6 models now allow you to upgrade the exterior lighting. RS6 models get HD Matrix with Laser Light

For the UK Facelift C7 only the S-lInes got LED, SE and SE Executive models went from halogen (pre-facelift) to Bi-Xenon (facelift). Front fog lights were dropped as part of the facelift.

On the C8, since earlier this year when Audi announced a spec update, all UK C8s get Matrix LED as standard, as per the spec information on the Audi uk configurator. The Vorsprung model is no longer offered on the standard A6, but is still offered on the S6 and the S6 Vorsprung gets HD matrix. None of the A6 or S6 models now allow you to upgrade the exterior lighting. RS6 models get HD Matrix with Laser Light

I've managed to get some pictures maybe helpful for someone. I've also the opportunity to own A6 C7 with LED's and Matrix LED's, A6 C8 with Matrix LED's and HD Matrix LED's and can say for 1000 % HD Matrix are not just better looking, they also doing better job in the night driving. I my opinion the C7 Matrix LED's were better then C8 Matrix from mine S Line. I did not have the chance test C8 with the cheap looking lights they using now 2022 and 2023 before the spec update that elan2s mention above.

Attachments

• IMG_2727.jpeg
    IMG_2727.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2725.jpeg
    IMG_2725.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2723.jpeg
    IMG_2723.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110

Hi. Just noticed on AutoTrader the new facelift A6 C8 is offered back in Vorsprung Edition also have the HD Matrix headlights back again :)

Im not aware of this. What is for sure that they completely change the desing of DRL and now they look very odd and very cheap with only short lane of LED in the corner about 4 inch long

I’ve attached photo of HD Matrix from mine S6 for refference:
Apologies for the very slow reply. You can see quite a few 2022/23 A6 S-line/Black Editions for sale which clearly have the basic LEDs like my 2023 S6. The DRL is ugly, you are correct; what offends me more is the awful looking indicator.
The light they emit is OK - it's better if you turn on the front all-weather (fog) lights which don't seem to dazzle people and illuminate verges and corners on unlit country lanes far better.
The one thing which makes me happy about them is that my car looks more like an unmarked police spec at a glance because it doesn't have the flashier lights. The radar things in the grille which came with the Tour Pack look a bit like they could be hidden blue lights but I think they're a bit too subtle for that to work on the move.

Having previously had two post-facelift C7 Allroads, one a standard 272 with xenons and one a Sport with LEDs (non-matrix), I would actively seek out the Xenons in preference on the C7. I've not tried the matrixes on the C7.

Apologies for the very slow reply. You can see quite a few 2022/23 A6 S-line/Black Editions for sale which clearly have the basic LEDs like my 2023 S6. The DRL is ugly, you are correct; what offends me more is the awful looking indicator.
The light they emit is OK - it's better if you turn on the front all-weather (fog) lights which don't seem to dazzle people and illuminate verges and corners on unlit country lanes far better.
The one thing which makes me happy about them is that my car looks more like an unmarked police spec at a glance because it doesn't have the flashier lights. The radar things in the grille which came with the Tour Pack look a bit like they could be hidden blue lights but I think they're a bit too subtle for that to work on the move.

Having previously had two post-facelift C7 Allroads, one a standard 272 with xenons and one a Sport with LEDs (non-matrix), I would actively seek out the Xenons in preference on the C7. I've not tried the matrixes on the C7.
On the C7, Xenons were standard on the pre-facelift S-Line/Black Edition and optional on the SE, post face-lift the S-Line/Black Edition got LED non-matrix, with matrix an option and the SE/SE Executive got Xenon with LED as an option.

In the 2022/23 period there were all sorts of issues with semiconductor supplies, hence not all cars were built with matrix LED, even though they were specced to have them. The original buyer of a car with missing components to the published spec would probably have got a price reduction to reflect that change.