Standard clutch on stage 2+

Hookmonster

Reaction score
Im on my way to Stage 2+ . Probably going with the Rtech Custom map..

Ive got Revo intake fitted and Loba HPFP.. ill be going to Bcs to get a powervalve full system fitted soon and Wagner intercooler at a similar time ( and rs4 valve )

Now should i get the clutch changed from standard to luk flywheel and Sachs organic before i do the exhaust or as im quite a consevative driver keep my fingers crossed for a few monrhs of use ???

The manual can't take that much abuse where is DSG can, I mean you could be lucky and get away with it but I expect you'll start slipping soon after the map.

Am guessing it's a S3 as well :p

Yeh sorry.. s3 2010 sportback.. might just bite the bullet and do the clutch too then.... :)

I'd love to go past stage 1 myself on my A3 but my clutch wouldn't take it and I can't be fluffed :p

But I hear stage 2+ is the sweet spot for the S3, But who knows. Maybe the clutch can handle it, All I know is the manuals don't take as much abuse!

Ive heard ofca few guys on here who have ran a standard clutchvfor s goodcwhile on stage 1 but i doubt like you say that it will last for too long at stage 2+ ..especially from R tech...

Anybody else had standard clutch on 2+ ???

Reactions: Ben2487
If it lasts for 8 weeks itd help !! Lol.. expensive game this ;)

R tech did my 2+ and still on standard clutch! I have done 6k since the map over a year ago and still holding up strong. Although niki at r tech did make the map a smoother one and less aggressive to prolong the life of the clutch.

Reactions: Hookmonster
R tech did my 2+ and still on standard clutch! I have done 6k since the map over a year ago and still holding up strong. Although niki at r tech did make the map a smoother one and less aggressive to prolong the life of the clutch.
Thats my kinda reply... fingers crossed

Wish my clutch could do the same ;-;

id run it as it is, if it starts to slip look at replacing it.. as said it could last 1 week or it could last a year... I'm running 2+ but the clutch feels like it may have been upgraded prior to me owning the car.

I think the simplest way of looking at it is that it may or may not slip,but is most likely to slip.

I'd always budget on upgrading the clutch at Stg2 or 2+....I changed to a Sachs organic plus DMF,which lasted until 440lbs.
The only thing I'd say is the Sachs won't take a lot of abuse,and if you're into drag starts etc,the Spec Stg3+ that's I've run for a few yrs now will take just about anything,but it is a SMF setup and will be noisier at idle.

Other than that,it will cope with 570lbs happily.

I did check out the spec 3 alex but like you said, in not a launch kinda guy.. i might put my foot down in 3rd to 6th... but otherwise im quite gentle.. (ask the wife ;) )

R tech quote 370 bhp and 380 torque maybe a fraction more with the powervalve full system the sachs organic with dmf should suffice.. thanks for the advive guys..

I did check out the spec 3 alex but like you said, in not a launch kinda guy.. i might put my foot down in 3rd to 6th... but otherwise im quite gentle.. (ask the wife ;) )

R tech quote 370 bhp and 380 torque maybe a fraction more with the powervalve full system the sachs organic with dmf should suffice.. thanks for the advive guys..

No worries....I don't think there's much to choose other than the Sachs for those who don't get into big turbo or launch mode,and the Spec Stg3+ for those who do.

I wouldn't bother with the paddle type clutches that come in between,as they are pigs to use around town,and offer no real benefit,or the Loba-Sachs SMF clutch either.
There have been occasional failures on the Sachs organic,but fairly few in real terms.....mine lasted as I said until 440lbs on a GT3071 turbo,which is pretty good for a clutch rated to 400lbs.

You only have a few options really you can:

Fit all your stage 2+ parts uprate the clutch and get it mapped knowing that everything's now done

Fit all your stage 2+ parts and drive it until the clutch give's up and replace it then

Or fit all your stage 2+ parts and get a less aggressive map for the time being.

Persoanlly when the time is ready for me I'll be fitting all my stage 2+ parts etc and then when I can afford it uprate the clutch and then get it mapped to it's full potential, This to me seem's the most logical way and save's messing around and then you can just enjoy it :)

My Sachs organic failed and I don't launch or abuse the car (running R tech 2+ putting out 360/385ft lbs) still trying to work things out with Sachs but its been a very expensive exercise so far.....

My Sachs organic failed and I don't launch or abuse the car (running R tech 2+ putting out 360/385ft lbs) still trying to work things out with Sachs but its been a very expensive exercise so far.....
Thats worrying.. does it just slip ? With a luk dmf ?