Standard audio vs Audi sound system

I've found the standard system OK as well. Not great, but OK. It struggles with deeper bass levels (i.e. rumbling bass) and will probably distort if you turn it up too loud. But apart from that it does the job. I ALWAYS listen to music when I drive and the standard system is one of the better standard car audio systems out there...especially in the A3 class range.

In hindsight I would've gone for at least ***.

Yeah i completely agree. For the average user listening to generic music and normal levels the standard system is perfectly adequate.
If your into more bass heavy music or like it very loud, the upgrades may be the better choice.

I would have gone b&o but I knew I'd be going custom at some point so didn't see the point

Reactions: Ignition1
The clarity of the standard system is great in my eyes, pretty impressive for being fairly simple.

"Sounds great in my eyes" ......LMAO

Seriousnes now....

Had the standard system in my 8P A3 and it was pants, have the *** in my 2.0 TDI and have specced it in my S3 SB .

I like my music and the *** system is great (not earth shattering though), B&O obviously better but £500 better was an option to far for me.

everyone's ears (and eyes) are different, you just have to test for yourself

If you like music and can afford it then go for the B&O, I think it is amazing (I have the *** on my Q5).

Ive got *** and am very very happy with it. Sounds just as good as the 600w 12 speaker Meridian system that was in my Evoque.

You don't like your S3 Mark, we get it we really do. We heard you loud and clear on other threads running down various aspects of the car you don't like which is fine, it's only your opinion after all :)

.....but I have to say suggesting the audio sound system is utterly awful is just plain rediculous and misleading for others who are considering speccing it.

I'm reasonably fussy about audio and to me it sounds great for the price. But don't take my word for it, try it out ;)

(and Mark, *** just get that bleedin RS3 and stop trying to make everyone else feel like they've made all the silly mistakes you have!!)

My opinion, *** is awful. Actually, it's worst than awful. You been in my car? Thought not.

Everyone will have their own opinion and just because it doesn't agree with yours doesn't make it any less valid. People should make their own minds up.

Simon, if that's your actual name, why not PM me if you have something you want to say to me, instead of being unnecessarily abusive towards me on a public Forum. Perhaps then I can tell you where to go in a language people like you only seem to understand. Got that? Clear enough for you? Good. Thank you.

Last edited:
My opinion, *** is awful. Actually, it's worst than awful. You been in my car? Thought not.

Everyone will have their own opinion and just because it doesn't agree with yours doesn't make it any less valid. People should make their own minds up.

Simon, if that's your actual name, why not PM me if you have something you want to say to me, instead of being unnecessarily abusive towards me on a public Forum. Perhaps then I can tell you where to go in a language people like you only seem to understand. Got that? Clear enough for you? Good. Thank you.

Come on guys sort this out offline and away from public gaze, neither of you are doing each other any favours

where is a moderator when you need one !!!!!

Reactions: Simon L
Come on guys sort this out offline and away from public gaze, neither of you are doing each other any favours

where is a moderator when you need one !!!!!

It's done as far I'm concerned, will not be making any further comment on his posts and definitely won't be accepting the kind invitation of a PM either :)

Carry on folks..........nothing to see here ;)

I bought my year old s3 a week ago and coming from my s3 8p with Bose I'm not to impressed with my standard set up but as I didn't buy the car new my only option would be to go aftermarket has anyone had an aftermarket system fitted yet?

I bought my year old s3 a week ago and coming from my s3 8p with Bose I'm not to impressed with my standard set up but as I didn't buy the car new my only option would be to go aftermarket has anyone had an aftermarket system fitted yet?

My friend bought a 2 year old BMW 5-Series (for an absolute steal - seller was moving abroad in a week's time and needed to off-load it quickly). Last month he took it to a place that installs "official" BMW kit. So effectively it has BMWs B&O sound system but it's aftermarket...the main reason for doing it that way is that all the speakers, parts etc. - they're all designed to fit, rather than after market stuff which doesn't look as subtle.

Worth checking out some Audi re-fitters - definitely seen a few out there.

My friend bought a 2 year old BMW 5-Series (for an absolute steal - seller was moving abroad in a week's time and needed to off-load it quickly). Last month he took it to a place that installs "official" BMW kit. So effectively it has BMWs B&O sound system but it's aftermarket...the main reason for doing it that way is that all the speakers, parts etc. - they're all designed to fit, rather than after market stuff which doesn't look as subtle.

Worth checking out some Audi re-fitters - definitely seen a few out there.
That's the kind of think I'm after I want to keep it as oem as possible the last thing I want sitting in my boot is a subwoofer box I think I'm past that stage..haha even if it is just uprating the speakers that are there to make it sound abit better than it is.

Not as far as I know. My Saloon has the sub in the rear parcel shelf and I'm pretty sure the Hatch/Sportback has the sub in the spare wheel. They're not that big so no space lost.

Not as far as I know. My Saloon has the sub in the rear parcel shelf and I'm pretty sure the Hatch/Sportback has the sub in the spare wheel. They're not that big so no space lost.

I read/heard somewhere that Audi Sound System or B&O removes the "variable boot floor".

I have the standard sound system and I can drop the boot floor by about 10cm if I want to. But I heard with the upgraded systems you can't do that.

Helps a bit when you're transporting lots of things but not a deal breaker. Off-topic but recently I managed to fit in 5 big suitcases, 3 bits of hand luggage and seat 2 other people with me as the driver. Amazing how much you can fit into these cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ignition1

Oh dear, that's poor quality control - and quite a glaring mistake as well. Then again they're human and mistakes happen.

Choosing between a variable boot floor or better sound might not be a concern for some, but for others it could have put them off upgrading.

Just to throw my ten pence worth in, I have the Audi Sound and its bob on, had an A3 s-line saloon for a couple of days while mine was in for warranty and it had the standard system in it. There is a significant difference in the sound quality (in favour of the upgrade obviously) and in my opinion easier to set up.
In a nut shell they both have a simple bass/treble but the upgrade with the additional speakers and sub is easier to set up, has better sound quality and a better range. :blink:

l was in a new A4 for about an hour overall,it had the Audi Sound System...it sounded good,my only criticism overall was it was very one dimesional...solid 6/10

I spent a long time trying to find the optimal settings (for my ears) with the *** and it sounds very good now. I needed different settings for the radio & iPhone for the best sound with the different sources, I also discovered how bad it can sound when you take a rough stab at the audio settings.

Can someone know which size is spare wheel when you have *** & b&o system?

I picked up a well specked S3 from dealer stock yesterday. Clearly still sussing the car out coming from a S line 150 diesel but love it.
I had standard audio in my 150 and never complained about it. Did the job fine, however this B&O has me totally blown away. I'm struggling between turning it down so I can enjoy the exhaust tone, or turning it up and loving the tunes. When I probably replace it in a few years, the audio will be right at the top of the spec list. It's epic, and I didn't even know I cared about it