Stalls when dropping from 2000+ rpm

JaS3

Reaction score
Hello

I´m the lucky owner of a Audi S3 8l from 2000 APY
But i have a little problem.

When i drive along at 2000+ RPM and press the clutch and keep it pressed (coasting) the engine stalls and dies.
The same happens if i put it in neutral.

The car idles fine, But the Turbo does use a bit of oil.
i replaced the MAF but the problem remains.

Any help to shed some light on this problem will be appreciated
biggrin.gif

Fault codes?

Most likely cause is an air leak

<tuffty/>

I have no fault codes, haven´t had it hooked up.
Thought it might be an air leak some where as well, but i have had all the intercooler piping of cleaned and checked, found some very small holes as in needle small.
I covered them with insulating tape, same problem.
is there any other place the air leak could be? all vacuum lines seems fine.
Could it be in one of the intercoolers?

Mine is also APY and I've been hunting the cause of this for the last two months, unfortunately without success.
Mine does not only stall, it has huge misfires, which basically make it undriveable.

Things I've done
- check fault codes -> MAF and cam shaft sensor faulty
- replaced MAF
- replaced cam shaft sensor
- replace hockey puck
- replace pcv
- replace DV
- ended up buying a vacuum meter and hooked it up. All is well
- replaced fuel filter
- replaced fuel pump
- hooked up fuel pressure meter --> all is well now
- cleaned the oil out of the intercooler & piping
- cleaned the throttle body

Next up for me is cleaning the injectors and new spark plugs.
If you ever find the reason for this, please do post here. From my side I'll post it in my thread (Belgian S3) once I've found it.

Mine is also APY and I've been hunting the cause of this for the last two months, unfortunately without success.
Mine does not only stall, it has huge misfires, which basically make it undriveable.

Things I've done
- replaced MAF
- replace hockey puck
- replace pcv
- replace DV
- replaced fuel filter
- replaced fuel pump

If you ever find the reason for this, please do post here. From my side I'll post it in my thread (Belgian S3) once I've found it.

Well that sucks.
I will be sure to let you know if i find the solution.

Things I've done
- replaced MAF
- replace hockey puck
- replace pcv
- replace DV
- replaced fuel filter
- replaced fuel pump

Why didn't you start with spark plugs and then coils?

Reactions: SamHendry
Why didn't you start with spark plugs and then coils?
Because I don't think hunting for idle is related to spark, I'm more inclined to think it's fuelling

Sent from a green cloud on planet Procrastination

Id work through this (been here before)
Pcv pipework all out, all of it, check it all thoroughly and replace anything looking tatty
Check pcv valves, hockey puck, non return valve and diverter.
Not fixed?
Spark plugs
Coil pack
Throttle body.

Surely its fixed now? :)

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Id work through this (been here before)
Pcv pipework all out, all of it, check it all thoroughly and replace anything looking tatty
Check pcv valves, hockey puck, non return valve and diverter.
Not fixed?
Spark plugs
Coil pack
Throttle body.

Surely its fixed now? :)

Nope, you can add new sparks and cleaned injectors to my list. Still not fixed.
I'm really running out of ideas here.

I'm guessing here but an old bm I had did this and there was a Bosch air flow meter in line with sir intake . The internal flap used to warp. So quick fix was to get some energy cloth under it and file it down . Worth a look .I'm not familiar with you're engine soz

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I expect its something you've already dismissed. Which hurts badly when you do find it.

While you´r all here, does any one know if there is difference in the way the intercooler piping is run on a 225hp model vs. 210hp model?

thinking of buying a aftermarked FMIC kit to get rid of all the old piping and intercoolers.

While you´r all here, does any one know if there is difference in the way the intercooler piping is run on a 225hp model vs. 210hp model?

thinking of buying a aftermarked FMIC kit to get rid of all the old piping and intercoolers.
No different on S3's... A3 is different is all

<tuffty/>

No different on S3's... A3 is different is all

<tuffty/>
thought so, just confusing when some are listed as only fitting 225hp models.
They do look awfully similar :D

Previous to owning this car i have only owned Hondas VTI/Type R model, so it is a bit of a challenge :D

Big FMIC thread in the FAQs to give you an idea of whats going on :)

<tuffty/>

in fairness mine has been doing this for a while gradually getting worse. had a split in the turbo to charge pipe hose. replaced this and a few days later started doing the same.

turns out it needed a new TB as it wasn't fully closing. Got a second hand one for £25 and boom back to life no revs dropping and back on full boost. may be worth a look :)

in fairness mine has been doing this for a while gradually getting worse. had a split in the turbo to charge pipe hose. replaced this and a few days later started doing the same.

turns out it needed a new TB as it wasn't fully closing. Got a second hand one for £25 and boom back to life no revs dropping and back on full boost. may be worth a look :)
I've been thinking that as well. Don't know how to test it though.

vag com is the easiest way to test it, if you know somebody who has this local to you, will tell you the readings and measurements. i tried realigning, cleaning etc but nothing worked. Finally new tb on and it came to life. Fingers crossed its an easy fix for you, i know how frustrating these things get lol

i also had a misfire just seen your original comment, mine was undriveable but got to the state where it was in constant limp mode and wouldn't rev past 2k (no throttle response)

does anybody know if the throttle body of a 150hp TT will work on the S3 ?
My GF has the TT, so I could steal that one for a quick test.

measure the size of the throttle body in comparison and see if the connector is the same... i would hazard a guess that they are the same (unless one is BDW and other is cable throttle), but best to be sure

My throttle body was super gunged up as well, i have cleaned it, but no difference maybe a new one is the only way.
I will try that next.

We need to find the solution to this :D

I assume you have re-calibrated the throttle body after disturbing it using VCDS

I assume you have re-calibrated the throttle body after disturbing it using VCDS

Not yet. I know I should, but I'm now struggling with my pc to get it to talk to the car.

I've been away for a week, any other updates ?

I did recalibrate the throttle body, and it threw an error code.
P1565 - So I guess I'll have to replace that one.

Fingers crossed the TB fixes this problem for you John....

OK, new TB is on it's way.
I also found a huge rip in the TIP, so I ordered a new one of those as well. Both should arrive Friday, so I might even get around to installing them this weekend.