Stalling A3

a3daveo

Reaction score
Hi, got my A3 1.6 (R reg) about a month ago, couldn't be more happy with it- until now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't know a great deal about engines but would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

The engine seems to stall and it only seems to happen when it is or has been raining and its been running for a while! Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

you will have to provide some more info:

Does it stall when the engine is hot or cold or both?
How old is the car and milleage?
Are there any other symptoms like rough running, missing, noises, any warning lights?

It only stalls when the engine is hot. As I said previously it only seems to happen when the car is wet and it doesn't always happen. The car is 8 years old and its done 51000 miles.

There is no problem with the engine apart from this, its sounds great and has been regularly serviced. Its due a big service in January so hopefully I will be alright till then.
Cheers

Could be the water pump starting to seize (hopefully not), but I had this on my A4 and when cold the extra revs were enough to keep it going, but as it warmed up the extra load on the flywheel would cause it to stall everytime I pulled up at traffic lights etc.
If it's only done 51k then it won't have been changed (i.e. with the cambelt etc). If it seizes then it'll strip the cambelt and most of your valves, but it could be one of a whole host of other problems so it's not a definate.
Does it idle OK or is it lumpy?

It idles ok, the engine runs well so its all a bit of a mystery. I think for the sake of a little bit of money, that I'll get it checked out-it could save me loads in the long run!

Thanks for the suggestions