Staining from trouser belt on seat leather

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I’ve just finished cleaning and conditioning my S4’s seats with Gliptone Liquid Leather, and there’s some discolouration on the driver’s backrest where my brown leather belt comes into contact with it. This is the first time I’ve not been able to remove a mark using Liquid Leather but it just won’t budge. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

95DD69A6 1EFF 49DB B223 5AC1F537A885

89622C48 47B9 4F47 9698 9838DDCE6AC9

@jdp1962 Jeff, have you tried flash eraser ? It cost around £2 from local supermarkets. I find it removes most stubborn stains. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and jdp1962
That could be worth a punt.
Be careful with these they are abrasive and you can risk going through the coating. I would try another leather cleaner before going down that route. I use Dr Leather, this is not to say it will take it out but might be worth a shot. I have also found their customer service to be good so you might want to contact them first

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jdp1962
Be careful with these they are abrasive and you can risk going through the coating. I would try another leather cleaner before going down that route. I use Dr Leather, this is not to say it will take it out but might be worth a shot. I have also found their customer service to be good so you might want to contact them first

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
@Taxboy , thanks for that; I'll make some enquiries.

I’ve just finished cleaning and conditioning my S4’s seats with Gliptone Liquid Leather, and there’s some discolouration on the driver’s backrest where my brown leather belt comes into contact with it. This is the first time I’ve not been able to remove a mark using Liquid Leather but it just won’t budge. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

View attachment 150757

View attachment 150758
You did try to clean the stain using a leather brush?
Try a bit of alchemy, by mixing some bicarbonate soda and leather cleaner together, clean using the brush

You did try to clean the stain using a leather brush?
Try a bit of alchemy, by mixing some bicarbonate soda and leather cleaner together, clean using the brush
I did try with a brush, albeit not with the bicarb soda combo. Have spoken to Dr Leather; they say it's the "dreaded dye migration", so I really need to do some more research to see if I can undo that. If I can, at least I know I can block it for the future, but first I need to undo it.

I did try with a brush, albeit not with the bicarb soda combo. Have spoken to Dr Leather; they say it's the "dreaded dye migration", so I really need to do some more research to see if I can undo that. If I can, at least I know I can block it for the future, but first I need to undo it.
Use a tiny bit of bicarb then seal the seats with Swissvax leather glaze it was going cheap on amazon

Reactions: jdp1962
So, I've treated it with LTT Leathercare's two-stage dye transfer removal process, and then applied two coats of Leatherguard Protector.

It's improved it, but some staining is still there. I suspect I left it untreated too long.

Last edited:
I had something similar and the ONLY thing that shifted it was diluted bleach , just don't get it too strong .