Stage1 S3- Sooty tips/rich smell

PaulAr

S3 (8P)
Reaction score
Any one else get this?

The car smells `rich`on start up in the morning.
Tips are very sooty.
When you push it hard once its warmed up you get a puff of crap out of the exhaust.

The car has SHARK Stage 1 with the DSG patch and a Milltek resonated TBE and sports cat.

Are there any SHARK agents in the North East that could give it a quick check and scan?
Tempted to flash to stock and see how it goes.:uhm:

Cheers
Paul

afaik it pretty normal for the 2.0 tfsi to be a bit sooty when tuned, mines revo stg2 + and people have mentioned to me that there's a bit of black smoke when I give it the beans and my exhaust tips are always sooty, I've just done 500 miles of gentle driving without boosting whatsoever while I bedded in a new clutch and over the course of a week my tips were still black and this was running stock settings

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulAr
Mines rich on start up as choke is on, smells lush!

I get sooty deposits but class this as normal.

I wouldnt worry all sounds normal.

PS Mine does have a hard life..... and I'm on 20k now!

Nope.

The car is MY12 with 12K miles. Could it be a problem so few miles?
It doesn't really have a hard life neither.

Hope I don't have to go back to stock:ninja:

appologies, shouldn't a issue then yet!
Did you get a print out or have a means of measuring your AFR to see if it is a rich spot or just the nature of the car?

Is this only noticeable recently, so wasn't present before?

I'd imagine its because the OPs car is stage1 tbh, I noticed it after my car first had stage 1 put on, obviously it takes more fuel to make more power and the soot is a byproduct of the burnt fuel

Is this only noticeable recently, so wasn't present before?

Its always been a bit sooty around the tips TBH but seemed better after the `DSG patched map` went on.

Maybe its been a bit more obvious since the Milltek.

I`m not 100% sure mate.

I'd imagine its because the OPs car is stage1 tbh, I noticed it after my car first had stage 1 put on, obviously it takes more fuel to make more power and the soot is a byproduct of the burnt fuel

:o.k:

Most mapped engines do run a bit rich.

This reduces the chance of preignition at high boost levels,and reduces cylinder temps and EGTs....it's far safer to run a bit rich,than lean.

You should see what mine does at full boost.

Does it kick out some soot Alex?

It runs it's own little vapour trail at full load!

It can look a bit alarming but it doesn't burn oil,and even at Stg2+ they can look a bit smoky.
Mine does run a bit rich,but as I've said,it's safer running the engine that way,than running lean,and even more so if there's any advance on timing.

Some people do fiddle with the settings on their cars,and rely on the ECU to save things,but I leave the setup on mine alone,and always have to be honest.

Reactions: Rob W8