Stage 2, worth it?

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
I’m stage 1 atm with turbo intake, elbow and r600 induction and a res delete. I’ve upgraded the clutch to a Sachs Organic. Currently I’m at 360bhp and 365ft-lbs of torque. My question is with the cost of sports cat, intercooler and mapping is it a worth while job? How much faster is it?

At Stage 1 I felt like the car had excellent acceleration but ran out of steam at the top end in gears....Stage 2 fixes that.
However its a value based decision and depends on how long you plan to keep the car.
Personally I think Stage 2 is amazing and makes it hard to want to change the car.....it just goes and goes...anything faster and it would be dangerous. You don't need BBK, but its worth upgrading pads and rotors and also TCU software is a must plus plugs. Bottom line it costs a lot to go Stage 2 properly but if you value that extra torque it makes a hell of a daily driver.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and MikeParkin
I’m looking to keep it for a while, can’t see anything that will Perform like this with the economy and feel of it. If I go stage 2 then I may consider stage 3 in the future...

yes, once you've spent the money to do Stage 2 properly you are almost there

Reactions: Rob2k68
yes, once you've spent the money to do Stage 2 properly you are almost there
Is it just the turbo and map to go from stage 2 to 3? do you need hpfp or plugs etc?

Reactions: MikeParkin
Stage 2 is awesome, I absolutely love my car and how it performs and it's quick!

Stage 3 all depends on what you have done on stage 2. It also goes into the £1000's well as does stage 2 to be honest. HPFP will help at stage 3 depending on who you get it done with.

I'm looking at putting HPFP on now at stage 2 just so it's done.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and PanamaS3
Is it just the turbo and map to go from stage 2 to 3? do you need hpfp or plugs etc?
its better to do plugs one step colder as soon as its tuned, at least Stage 2 onwards.
hpfp may or may not be needed, but I'd guess it is needed on anything but the latest model year...tuner will tell you.

Stage 2 is awesome, I absolutely love my car and how it performs and it's quick!

Stage 3 all depends on what you have done on stage 2. It also goes into the £1000's well as does stage 2 to be honest. HPFP will help at stage 3 depending on who you get it done with.

I'm looking at putting HPFP on now at stage 2 just so it's done.
Who did yours? what engine mods and power do you have? cheers.

Who did yours? what engine mods and power do you have? cheers.

I'm Revo pal, mods are I think.
Forge carbon intake
Forge quick shifter
Forge turbo delete
034 Dogbone mount
Scorpion de-cat down pipe
Wagner intercooler
CTS Turbo outlet pipe
APR out let pipe
CTS Throttle pipe
Turbo Technics intake pipe
Milltek Cat Back
Sachs 4 paddle clutch kit
Revo stage 2 software

I'm just over 400bhp and just over 500nm

I'm Revo pal, mods are I think.
Forge carbon intake
Forge quick shifter
Forge turbo delete
034 Dogbone mount
Scorpion de-cat down pipe
Wagner intercooler
CTS Turbo outlet pipe
APR out let pipe
CTS Throttle pipe
Turbo Technics intake pipe
Milltek Cat Back
Sachs 4 paddle clutch kit
Revo stage 2 software

I'm just over 400bhp and just over 500nm

Nice power/torque figures, i think i need to go this way...

Haha, I personally think it's been well worth it. I'm now looking at stage 3 but just taking it nice and steady.

I honestly think you would be impressed as the car just keeps wanting to go.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Starry
Depending on who your tuner is and their cost profile for going up the stages you're looking at £2.5-3k for stage 2 using decent branded components Milltek/Scorpion/Wagner/Revo/APR. That includes £500 installation too though so if you're handy with the spanners that's a cost save opportunity. TCU tune included as you really need this to increase DSG clutch clamping pressures and to move the shift points to make the most of the new ECU map (handy if done by the same people for this reason). Swap TCU tune for clutch upgrade if manual.

As above, torque is mental LoL it properly pulls you back in the seat and you can't but help grinning from ear to ear.

Stage 3 can vary a lot, some take your old turbo in exchange, some require a HPFP and turbo back exhaust and some don't .

Reactions: Starry and MikeParkin
One thing to consider as it happened to me on my Golf R not to say it would to you

Sachs organic started to slip on APR HO stage 2 so had to take mine out and drop a Sachs sintered in problem solved

One thing to consider as it happened to me on my Golf R not to say it would to you

Sachs organic started to slip on APR HO stage 2 so had to take mine out and drop a Sachs sintered in problem solved
Yeah , i think the organic are rated to 410ft-lbs so thats something to think about. What torque were you running?

The APR stage 2 HO tunes putting out around 420-430 lbs of torque.

I think only MRC doing similar do your clutch would handle basically every other stage 2 tune.

I 100% agree with others in saying stage 2 power/torque and throttle response is amazing. I'm DSG with that tuned and pedal box and I couldn't imagine a better performing car unless true Supercars.

Many go stage 2 on way to stage 3 Also but you'd need to upgrade clutch again.

I plan on keeping my car long term so the investment worth it.

I put the paddle clutch in so don't need to change it later on.

Reactions: Forbzeeee
I love Stage 2 and would recommend it if you plan to keep the car for at least 12 months.

I was Stage 1 Revo for about a year and loved the acceleration and performance but it lacked a bit a top end. I went to Revo stage 2 and was getting 380 bhp and 522nm torque on the rollers. I decided to take it to MRC and they managed 414bhp and 577nm torque. I'm now very happy with my car and will stick a Stage 2. I considered stage 3 many times but I am happy with what I have. Mind you, I did say i'd stay at Stage 1 and look what happened!

Current Mods (I wanted to go a different route to others)

Full Revo Carbon Intake
Revo Intercooler
Revo/Scorpion Downpipe w/Sports cat
MRC Stage 2 remap and TCU
Eibach Sportline Springs
Clubsport Discs
414BHP and 577Nm Torque

My car is my daily which I use for work customer meetings so quite often have 400 mile round trips in a day.

I am thinking about a rear ARB next and possibly a dogbone mount but do not want to screw up the refinement.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and MikeParkin
I love Stage 2 and would recommend it if you plan to keep the car for at least 12 months.

I was Stage 1 Revo for about a year and loved the acceleration and performance but it lacked a bit a top end. I went to Revo stage 2 and was getting 380 bhp and 522nm torque on the rollers. I decided to take it to MRC and they managed 414bhp and 577nm torque. I'm now very happy with my car and will stick a Stage 2. I considered stage 3 many times but I am happy with what I have. Mind you, I did say i'd stay at Stage 1 and look what happened!

Current Mods (I wanted to go a different route to others)

Full Revo Carbon Intake
Revo Intercooler
Revo/Scorpion Downpipe w/Sports cat
MRC Stage 2 remap and TCU
Eibach Sportline Springs
Clubsport Discs
414BHP and 577Nm Torque

My car is my daily which I use for work customer meetings so quite often have 400 mile round trips in a day.

I am thinking about a rear ARB next and possibly a dogbone mount but do not want to screw up the refinement.

Bit of an aside but recommend the Revo torque arm bushing (dog bone mount) or similar solution that replaces the complete insert rather than a metal insert that just reduces movement.

Bit of an aside but recommend the Revo torque arm bushing (dog bone mount) or similar solution that replaces the complete insert rather than a metal insert that just reduces movement.
Thanks for the recommendation... What is the NVH like with it? I've read mixed reviews on the metal inserts (some buckling, others adding vibration etc)

Thanks for the recommendation... What is the NVH like with it? I've read mixed reviews on the metal inserts (some buckling, others adding vibration etc)

Very close to OEM. I swapped the 034 out for it so had them both. With the 034 one there was too much booming/resonance with the valves coded open but was fine with the Revo one. Plenty available to choose from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro