Stage 2 rattle

Ben_w93

Reaction score
From reading a few things on here is seems there’s a waste gate rattle constantly on those cars that have been decat? The same as the cold start one I’m presuming, I’m strongly considering going straight to stage 2 MRC but obviously this includes a decat (which I’m all for sound wise and would want to do it regardless) but if this is going to bring that annoying rattle constantly then it’s a no go for me and I’ll have to settle for stage 1. It’s a daily driver and I can’t be putting up with that rattle constantly, every single person I’ve shown the car to has mentioned the cold start rattle in a concerned way until I’ve explained what it is, it’s incredibly noticeable and not something I’m willing to put up with for any longer than it’s already there for.

Is there any way around it? Can MRC stop it? Would this be detrimental to the car in any way? Looking to get it detailed then straight down to MRC really want the stage 2 performance (and decat sound) but really can’t have that rattle..

All major tuners have a water gate rattle fix now I’m pretty sure. You are best to discuss this with mrc and let them know your expectations and see what they can offer you.

an update to my initial tune totally removed the rattle on my decatted car.

I’m on Dyno spectrum DS1 stage 2.

What I liked about it over Unitronic was the fact it’s customisable, so things like wastegate rattle / cold start warm up rattle etc can be removed easily on any of their OTS maps.
Below is a shot of the tables that are changed to keep the wastegate clamped shut at the Rev range that causes annoyance.
a9a5ab41ba697911feef039fbbe3b249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ArrEssDrei
All major tuners have a water gate rattle fix now I’m pretty sure. You are best to discuss this with mrc and let them know your expectations and see what they can offer you.

an update to my initial tune totally removed the rattle on my decatted car.
Didn’t know this, guess that’s my decision made nice and easy then haha

What I liked about it over Unitronic was the fact it’s customisable, so things like wastegate rattle / cold start warm up rattle etc can be removed easily on any of their OTS maps.
Below is a shot of the tables that are changed to keep the wastegate clamped shut at the Rev range that causes annoyance.

Looks great if you know what you’re doing, but that could be anything to me mate looks incredibly confusing :tearsofjoy:

I've an APR Stg2 RS3 2017 and that suffers from the same rattle. When in Dynamic mode and in Sport, I can hardly hear it. Take Sport off and I can hear it a little occasionally, but not enough that its an annoyance. However, if in Comfort and Drive, it is quite obvious.
Fix: Keep it in Dynamic and fluctuate between D and S.

I've an APR Stg2 RS3 2017 and that suffers from the same rattle. When in Dynamic mode and in Sport, I can hardly hear it. Take Sport off and I can hear it a little occasionally, but not enough that its an annoyance. However, if in Comfort and Drive, it is quite obvious.
Fix: Keep it in Dynamic and fluctuate between D and S.
Did APR not have a solution for it or an option for it to be mapped out? I’m waiting on a reply from MRC to see if they have as mentioned above but the rattle really isn’t something I can put up with. It spends a fair amount of time in comfort too when I’m doing the school runs or work related appointments/meetings, wouldn’t kill me to have it in dynamic I just think the extra noise and pops (whilst I love both) can seem a little OTT pulling up on the school run or outside an appointment/meeting :tearsofjoy:

Didn’t know this, guess that’s my decision made nice and easy then haha

Looks great if you know what you’re doing, but that could be anything to me mate looks incredibly confusing :tearsofjoy:

It’s why I decided on DS1....... no long trips to a tuner if ever anything needed tweaking.
Now I can do it myself.

It’s why I decided on DS1....... no long trips to a tuner if ever anything needed tweaking.
Now I can do it myself.

Wish I had this level of knowledge to do it mate, especially with MRC being so far away from myself, the things we do for a bit entertainment eh

Did APR not have a solution for it or an option for it to be mapped out? I’m waiting on a reply from MRC to see if they have as mentioned above but the rattle really isn’t something I can put up with. It spends a fair amount of time in comfort too when I’m doing the school runs or work related appointments/meetings, wouldn’t kill me to have it in dynamic I just think the extra noise and pops (whilst I love both) can seem a little OTT pulling up on the school run or outside an appointment/meeting :tearsofjoy:
Unfortunately, APR operate through dealers and my dealer wasn't that knowledgeable tbh. If it helps, I typically use Comfort in motorway driving and I dont hear the rattle at those speeds either. I use Dynamic without sport mode to avoid the pops and bangs.

Now I can do it myself.

Love this idea for tuning drivability, but not sure how you tune for optimal peak power and safe torque without a dyno? Also, wow that is seriously confusing to look at and there doesn't seem to be any resources for learning how it all works?

Unfortunately, APR operate through dealers and my dealer wasn't that knowledgeable tbh. If it helps, I typically use Comfort in motorway driving and I dont hear the rattle at those speeds either. I use Dynamic without sport mode to avoid the pops and bangs.

I had this same issue here, I didn't learn till it was too late that a lot of tuners just buy their tunes or do their tuning remotely with someone else. My tuner told me several things I wanted including the WG rattle fix 'were not possible' until he eventually spoke to the provider of the tunes who then provided an update to eliminate it. I really can't understand why it wouldn't be included with every tune though. Surely no one wants to live with that noise?

Maybe chase APR and see if you can get an update somewhere else? It's well worth it and make the car sounds way better.

Love this idea for tuning drivability, but not sure how you tune for optimal peak power and safe torque without a dyno? Also, wow that is seriously confusing to look at and there doesn't seem to be any resources for learning how it all works?

You are missing the point, the DS1 comes with proven OTS maps for stages 1-4.
There are also options for tuners to supply you with files which you can flash too.

You are missing the point, the DS1 comes with proven OTS maps for stages 1-4.
There are also options for tuners to supply you with files which you can flash too.

I don't think I missed the point mate. If the OTS tunes performance is everything you are looking for then that's great, but surely the benefit to being able to tune everything yourself is about optimising the performance further (as well as the drivability, which is very nice indeed), and a dyno would still be needed to do that safely I assume. Looking at their advertised results on the website there does seem to be the potential to tune for more power than their OTS tune offers. So I assume this is a good safe starting tune to build on. This device is a game changer for sure, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if there are ever the resources to learn to use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8YARWY
I don't think I missed the point mate. If the OTS tunes performance is everything you are looking for then that's great, but surely the benefit to being able to tune everything yourself is about optimising the performance further (as well as the drivability, which is very nice indeed), and a dyno would still be needed to do that safely I assume. Looking at their advertised results on the website there does seem to be the potential to tune for more power than their OTS tune offers. So I assume this is a good safe starting tune to build on. This device is a game changer for sure, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if there are ever the resources to learn to use it.

A Dyno isn’t everything though is it ?
Yes it’s useful no doubt as an indicator of where you are at, but with the DS1 comes a very powerful logging software tool so you can see exactly what is happening on WOT runs.

I’m currently on a custom Stage 2 file from a tuner who’s heavily invested in Dyno Spectrum and who’s very open and helpful.

A Dyno isn’t everything though is it ?
Yes it’s useful no doubt as an indicator of where you are at, but with the DS1 comes a very powerful logging software tool so you can see exactly what is happening on WOT runs.

I’m currently on a custom Stage 2 file from a tuner who’s heavily invested in Dyno Spectrum and who’s very open and helpful.

Guessing you have a lot of long straight dead quiet roads near you? ;)

Reactions: D0C and 8YARWY

Hi...Im on a DS1 in my RSQ3 and cant seem to find a tuner to custom the wastegate rattle out. Is there some guidance you could step us through?