Stage 2+ Questions

Sam Axon

Reaction score
Hoping to head to stage 2+ after Christmas as I managed to get a HPFP cheap over Black Friday.
Car is currently running the following;
- RamAir Oversized Intake
- Scorpion Sports Cat @ Cat Back Exhaust
- GFB DV+
- Autotech HPFP (to be fitted)
- RS4 Fuel Valve (to be fitted)
- Runner Flap Delete (to be fitted)

So basically couple of questions -
Do I need to replace my clutch or will I be able to run it and swap it out once it starts playing up?
Do I need to fit an intercooler?

Tuning wise I'm thinking of getting R-Tech to map it, They are halfway up the country from me but is it worth the journey ? I've heard of them from a couple of people on here but never had first hand experience.

Any help/advice appreciated! Always looking for positive criticism. Cheers :)

I'm running 372bhp and 398lbft stage 2+ APR, my clutch lasted a week of not much abuse and no launches, and the car had only done about 42k miles. I'm also on the standard intercooler and don't really feel like it's much of a restriction, might be more noticeable on track though. I would also consider swapping out the RamAir intake for the Revo or Evoms as they are much better.

Do I need to replace my clutch or will I be able to run it and swap it out once it starts playing up?
Do I need to fit an intercooler?

Tuning wise I'm thinking of getting R-Tech to map it, They are halfway up the country from me but is it worth the journey ? I've heard of them from a couple of people on here but never had first hand experience.

Like @KieranS3 said - Stock clutch is not likely to last long at this torque level and stock IC is fine for Stage 2+ although uprated ones will typically reduce intake air temps and be less restrictive, so should give you better flow and lower temps, which can't hurt the headline numbers.

R-Tech is one of the best tuners in the country for TFSI tuning. I had my doubts before, but Niki knows what he's doing. Plus any minor issues can normally be resolved on site as they do have the manpower and facilities to do most of the related mechanical work if required. Most other tuners have a dyno and a computer only, so can't even replace a failed DV. They also have one of the most in-depth pre-tuning check regimens I've seen before. If there is a vac leak or a timing issue, they will find it and in most cases can resolve it there and then.

One big item I see missing from your list is an upgraded down pipe - stock DP is very restrictive and will not flow enough for a proper Stg2+ tune.

@leshkin I have a scorpion 3" DP & Sports CAT :)
Right I'm sold on R-Tech! Sounds good to me.

Recommendations on clutches to handle 2+ & daily driven? @KieranS3

There would be nothing worse than building car capable of making possibly 380bhp and 400lbft and coming away with 350bhp and 360lbft because the clutch was slipping, then having to do the clutch, then having to take it back for a map tweak.

I have a clutchmasters 6 paddle clutch and solid flywheel.. a lot of people use the spec clutch also. Either way you're looking at around a grand for a decent set up.

Ideally I'd like to stick with a DMF - are organic clutches worth the money?
I'm never going to go for a hybrid turbo, 2+ will be enough for me.

The favorite on the TFSI Facebook page for Stage 2+ power seems to be the Helix Organic with DMF, they also recommend a braided clutch line. The peddle feels a little heavier apparently but not overly bad.

The SPEC clutches seem to get a good review here but on the Facebook page there seems to be reports of them having problems changing gear at high RPM. I have driven a S3 with a SPEC Stage 3+ clutch and it was a dream to drive, near on OEM pedal feel.

I have been looking at clutch options for a while now and I've still not decided...

Have a chat with Alex at AKS tuning for clutch info. Fantastic customer service if there is a problem but I would have the job done by them if you want a Helix.

Reactions: Gregsy16
Ideally I'd like to stick with a DMF - are organic clutches worth the money?
I'm never going to go for a hybrid turbo, 2+ will be enough for me.

A Sachs organic will cope easily enough with Stg2+,and some will last up to around 440lbs,as mine did,but thats a bit variable and they don’t like drag starts etc.

I ran a Spec Stg3+ clutch all the way to 550lbs,and had absolutely no issues with it,and it is as light as the OEM clutch to use,but with a fair amount of chatter at idle.

The favorite on the TFSI Facebook page for Stage 2+ power seems to be the Helix Organic with DMF, they also recommend a braided clutch line. The peddle feels a little heavier apparently but not overly bad.

The SPEC clutches seem to get a good review here but on the Facebook page there seems to be reports of them having problems changing gear at high RPM. I have driven a S3 with a SPEC Stage 3+ clutch and it was a dream to drive, near on OEM pedal feel.

I have been looking at clutch options for a while now and I've still not decided...
That is gearbox and worn engine mounts issue. Gearbox has a design flaw. Input shaft wears its housing and you develop input shaft play making it impossible to shift above 6k.

I would like to see a thread for mileage Vs power. I'm interested to know what milage people are getting with these tuned engines.
I put a revo stg 1 on my S3 at 800 miles its now done 64k but i am worried now about taking it to stg 2+ as i think i might be pushing my luck.

I would like to see a thread for mileage Vs power. I'm interested to know what milage people are getting with these tuned engines.
I put a revo stg 1 on my S3 at 800 miles its now done 64k but i am worried now about taking it to stg 2+ as i think i might be pushing my luck.

Mine got the following:

Stg1 at 10k miles

Stg2+ at around 20k

Stg3 and forged internals at 40k....crank etc were all within OEM tolerances then.

Head replaced at 80k due to failed cam journal found during engine inspection for 550bhp/550lb uprate....rest of engine within tolerances at that time,inc crank.

So basically,running 440bhp+ for 40k miles on the original crank,and still in tolerances at 80k.

Reactions: paddy
Thanks alex, that pretty good, looks like the bottom end is well up to the job, i think the weak point on mine will be bores. It didn't use any oil for the first 45k miles, dip stick stayed at top level all year but now at 65k it uses a ltr every 3k miles, I think i will buy the down pipe and cat and fit that then i am only short of the fuel pump but i can continue to run it as it is with the down pipe where as the pump will need the 2+ software. then see how ity is.

Reactions: S. and S3Alex
That is gearbox and worn engine mounts issue. Gearbox has a design flaw. Input shaft wears its housing and you develop input shaft play making it impossible to shift above 6k.

Is there a fix if the input shaft housing is warn and causing play?

Have you considered unicorn in Manchester ?
Bite it and buy the clutch your only holding your self back and waiting for the enevatble to happen.

If it’s a face lift then I would say yes to intercooler as the stock one isn’t as good as the pre facelifts.

I made 370bhp and 420ftlbs at stage2+
3” turbo back decat
Revo intake
Airtec stage 2 cooler
Fuel pump
Was well worth it

So for availability and cost it's between either the Sachs Organic or Helix Organic Clutch.
Seems the helix maybe the better option? With the uprated braided clutch line should be good.

Is there a fix if the input shaft housing is warn and causing play?
Yes there is but it's not off the shelf part.
I wrote what i have found and what work i did in my build thread. It might end costly.
I would also say check the engine mounts first (i did it last as i didn't expect them to be worn at 50k miles).

I cant wait to map also. I have all the hardware now. One thing also worth noting is Rtech do injector and inlet clean offer with a remap

I cant wait to map also. I have all the hardware now. One thing also worth noting is Rtech do injector and inlet clean offer with a remap
Depending on engine mileage, it's definitely worth doing.

Should imagine most have decent mileage now. Unless stored/weekend car etc. But for the price, worth just getting it done isnt it