Stage 1 Tuning - Which to pick?

Oliver Fish

Reaction score
Comerades,

After covering a few thousand miles now I am thinking of treating myself to a Stage 1 upgrade and I am looking for some opinions on what peoples preferences are after they've all been around for a while now.

I think I've come to the conclusion that DTUK is my best option (As ideally I would like to keep my warranty and this seems to be the best option for doing that).

What are peoples thoughts on the plug in boxes? Do they run lean? Am I going to have problems with the car running hot?

Thanks in advanced for replies,

Olly

*Obligatory Rivera Picture Attached
Screen Shot 2015 08 26 at 164153

Reactions: pez81, Ben Daniel Grant, terapati and 1 other person
That looks stunning !!

I'm looking at a Revo map. Had a box on my FR and whilst it did what it said on the tin but was conscious of engine sensors that were not coming into play - that was a diesel so may not be so much of an issue on petrol. The remap seems a more complete integrated solution.

Revo or GIAC for me, although the performance ain't too shabby straight from the box, not as quick as my previous car but still pretty good. I'm talking to Statllers in Sheffield about the newly released GIAC option.

The difference in 20BHP doesn't really swing anything for me, more the ease of removal for servicing/work on the car. I'm based in East Yorkshire so I know of a few places nearby that offer Revo and APR. It's a little further a field for DTUK and other tuners.

I've not heard of GIAC? They're not too far from me.

I am considering DTUK as well simply for the warranty not being voided.

The difference in 20BHP doesn't really swing anything for me, more the ease of removal for servicing/work on the car. I'm based in East Yorkshire so I know of a few places nearby that offer Revo and APR. It's a little further a field for DTUK and other tuners.

I've not heard of GIAC? They're not too far from me.
GIAC are direct competition for Revo in the states and were/are very popular with the previous 2.0T. I think Regal used to be the main UK distributor but not sure as I've been out of the VAG loop for a while driving BMW's.

GIAC will have been tested on US cars with a lower grade fuel so on our motors the gains and safety limits should be well within tolerance. My past experience with them was always very good but overall producing a bit less power than Revo. This was not felt on the road where my cars always felt very quick but verified on various dynos. My personal opinion was that GIAC chose to remain well within the low risk category, not a bad thing by any measure. I had excellent experiences with both Revo and GIAC so I have a tough decision.

I'm not so power hungry these days but suspect I'll go with which ever one reputedly drives the best, my aim is oem+ power delivery that's kind to the drive train.

I have a lot of reading and discussing to do but that's all part of the fun of ownership.

Going to try APR stage 1 sat so will report back.

Comerades,

After covering a few thousand miles now I am thinking of treating myself to a Stage 1 upgrade and I am looking for some opinions on what peoples preferences are after they've all been around for a while now.

I think I've come to the conclusion that DTUK is my best option (As ideally I would like to keep my warranty and this seems to be the best option for doing that).

What are peoples thoughts on the plug in boxes? Do they run lean? Am I going to have problems with the car running hot?

Thanks in advanced for replies,

Olly

*Obligatory Rivera Picture AttachedView attachment 67127 *
That colour!!!

If considering a tuning box what about TMC ? I know the guys on Baby BMW forum m135i rave about the quality, service and gains ?

Dtuk all the way guys - take a look at my insta for vids of what it's like (fast_teacher)