Stage 1 S3 vs 350Z

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Highly recommended!! Especially if you can find one with a Nismo kit and big bore.... Oh and and three nice strips of road, pref one flat and another uphill :) double points if you get a sulking chav at the end of it... No wavey, no likey :)

Reactions: pinterovski, lil_coz and Sheikh
Highly recommended!! Especially if you can find one with a Nismo kit and big bore.... Oh and and three nice strips of road, pref one flat and another uphill :) double points if you get a sulking chav at the end of it... No wavey, no likey :)

So you sayin you eat that sucker for dinner:racer::icon_thumright:

Westy, come across, the waters lovely :) n yip he was owned ;) , tried setting me up then booted it in the top end of third... I don't know how much was left, just that everytime I dropped back on the accelerator I was able to pull the distance back without that much effort... it was proper loud n proud and ere.... bronze? Slap that man for buying such a nice car in bronze!

Tim you're still alive mate. Where have you been. Last I thought you were going to buy an a6 or something?? Haven't seen you're vs threads for a long time. Nice to know you still having a play. Good scalp though bud!!

Tim you're still alive mate. Where have you been. Last I thought you were going to buy an a6 or something?? Haven't seen you're vs threads for a long time. Nice to know you still having a play. Good scalp though bud!!

Alright dude!! Still looking to sell this to get that A6 Avant :D just not very enthusiastic about selling thats all, therefore turning down all the daft offers from the clowns in the market.... makes the we buyanycar offer of £17600 sound reasonable when you look at what some idiots have offered :)

Tell you what, when it does go i'm sooo gonna miss it - hope the 8L's alive and well fella

just out of interest what sort of power is a stage 1 S3?

About 300bhp, 310 ft lb torque.

so a modified to 300bhp car beats a car that is heavier, less power (probably nigh on standard)..hmmm not really a fair match is it lol

the Z has a pretty impressive turn of pace from standard but obviously real world is where it matters... it wasn't a slay, just a scalp :)

the Z has a pretty impressive turn of pace from standard but obviously real world is where it matters... it wasn't a slay, just a scalp :)

while i see where you are coming from it still makes the "scalping" largely irrelevant, in much the same way in handing a saxo VTS yo its ****, both cars are slower than what you currently have..

now had you have said you gave an M3 or similar a pasting that would be a whole different ball game

while i see where you are coming from it still makes the "scalping" largely irrelevant, in much the same way in handing a saxo VTS yo its ****, both cars are slower than what you currently have..

now had you have said you gave an M3 or similar a pasting that would be a whole different ball game

When my car was stage 1 + intake I had a run out woth a friends E46 M3. I won't go into detail but it was extremely close. A little quicker at lower speeds and a bit slower at higher speeds.

Reactions: pinterovski and Datsun

Well lets put it this way,a car with an engine size of a 350 and the quoted times wouldn't ordinarily mean it's a dead cert, I don't know the effects of mods on a 350 either so I disagree.... It was in no way like taking a Saxo 'scalp', no way comparable in any way shape or form....

Well lets put it this way,a car with an engine size of a 350 and the quoted times wouldn't ordinarily mean it's a dead cert, I don't know the effects of mods on a 350 either so I disagree.... It was in no way like taking a Saxo 'scalp', no way comparable in any way shape or form....

any sort of breathing mods on a 350 will amount to pretty much the square root of nothing, simply it's an N/A actually easier to get blood out of a stone...

a proper modified 350Z as in forced inducted, would absolutely wipe the floor with you.

maybe we'll have to agree to disagree that beating a car with less power and heavier is something to shout about :D

When my car was stage 1 + intake I had a run out woth a friends E46 M3. I won't go into detail but it was extremely close. A little quicker at lower speeds and a bit slower at higher speeds.

Spot on.
Had the same experience with 2 different E46s, one belonging to a friend.
The E46 is a formidable bit of kit, so it says a lot for a lowly tweaked posh golf that it can be close on outright pace. The E46 is at the end of the day, quicker in a straight line, but by a smaller margin than you might think.

(The E46 M3is a fantastic drive and a proper bargain ATM. If you are brave enough.....)

Paul

any sort of breathing mods on a 350 will amount to pretty much the square root of nothing, simply it's an N/A actually easier to get blood out of a stone...

a proper modified 350Z as in forced inducted, would absolutely wipe the floor with you.

maybe we'll have to agree to disagree that beating a car with less power and heavier is something to shout about :D

Despite the title, I think the point of the thread was to share some tongue in cheek lad-ish high jinks (we all do it) where the chips of a chav were ****** on for a bit of a laugh.

Not some statement of superiority or a meaningful evaluatuion on whether a Stage 1 S3 is better than a 350Z.
Thats how I read it anyway.

I would be happy with either car TBH (without the bean tin tail pipes etc...)

Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: OVRA3
ny_07_nismo350z.jpg

Nice enough motor, and a very competent car.

Test drove an early one and the interior was gopping. Not my cup of tea, but can't knock it!

That is the stereo type of a naturally aspriated car, map or mods don't do anything without bolting on some heavy gear - There are plenty of naturally aspirated cars out there that are mapped well below their potential obviously giving a bigger difference when mapped!! naturally..

Going back to your original 'gripe'... it is not unreasonable to assume that a Nissan that is quicker to 60 than a standard S3 wouldn't actually do better in the higher figures due to engine volume (like the M3 example above).... therefore the comparison is completely valid.

Westy, cheers bud, make me sound like a numpty racer :)

Paul, I have to agree, I'd have either car, the Nissan is a lovely looking motor, just a shame the japs cant design an interior!.... I just love the fact that my hot hatch can have the effect I had last night :)

You don't need my help ;)

I wish I was able to "compare" my car with others but not many people want to play :(

dude, you get even less people trying with an 8P.... hence why you dont see as many of these threads, although i think the 8L was more defined looks wise as a faster car? bizarre.... suppose I've only had this a year, time yet between now and sale time :)

That is the stereo type of a naturally aspriated car, map or mods don't do anything without bolting on some heavy gear - There are plenty of naturally aspirated cars out there that are mapped well below their potential obviously giving a bigger difference when mapped!! naturally..
you cannot compare N/A to forced induction when it comes to bang for buck, granted there are lots of high power N/A cars out there but to get anywhere the increase you have got from their motors you won't come across "driving down the road"

but the point you are making is invalid, simply you are shouting about beating a lesser powered and heavier car, and more than likely on standard power, as pointed out before wether thats a 350Z or a Saxo VTS it's still slower

if anyone wants to get big power forced induction is the only way forwards I'm afraid which i would guarantee the particular car you came across was nigh on standard

edit: point is if you had said you beat an M6, M3 M5 GTR so on and so on (see a pattern?)..would this discussion even be taking place? it would have been left with a "like" underneath your post

Last edited:
edit: point is if you had said you beat an M6, M3 M5 GTR so on and so on (see a pattern?)..would this discussion even be taking place? it would have been left with a "like" underneath your post

If that would have happened I'd have said the other driver wasn't trying!

On the road 20-30bhp in a 300'ish bhp car makes feck all difference. The biggest difference here as you've intimated is the NA vs turbo delivery, but the S3 has greater drivetrain losses than the 350Z, so you could say BHP is irrelevant when you consider that and power to weight.

I think it's just someone enjoying their car, so as long as it was within legal limits then it's just a bit of fun????

The point of Tim's threads are to let others know that the S3 can beat this and that. Just by looking at the bhp/torque/0-60 figures wont tell you what the cars can do on the road. It's nice to know what you can and cant beat.

Obviously Tim's not going to post up "S3 vs Corsa"!

ok i'll explain this in simple terms just for you, on paper (however representative that is) the S3 has a 0-60 of 5.7 ish, the 350Z has 0-60 of 5.5..... it isn't far off the pace..... yes im modded but the effect of a high volume engine in the top end versus a turbo'd car running boost from low in the rev range has consistantly been proven to be more in favour of the high capacity car... does this make sense to you or are you going to continue to be obnoxious and draw comparison to the Citreon C5 next?

Using your method, the above comparison with the M3 is also pointless? you make no sense fella...its nothing like comparing to a Saxo 1.6 VT'what ever'

I see the pattern, but we would never beat an M6.... the 350Z was a scalp that wasn't a foregone conclusion which is why i posted, simples!

Reactions: RedDejavu
ok i'll explain this in simple terms just for you, on paper (however representative that is) the S3 has a 0-60 of 5.7 ish, the 350Z has 0-60 of 5.5..... it isn't far off the pace..... yes im modded but the effect of a high volume engine in the top end versus a turbo'd car running boost from low in the rev range has consistantly been proven to be more in favour of the high capacity car... does this make sense to you or are you going to continue to be obnoxious and draw comparison to the Citreon C5 next?

Using your method, the above comparison with the M3 is also pointless? you make no sense fella...its nothing like comparing to a Saxo 1.6 VT'what ever'

I see the pattern, but we would never beat an M6.... the 350Z was a scalp that wasn't a foregone conclusion which is why i posted, simples!

Oops I appear to have hit a nerve! we getting all condescending and patronising all of a sudden...from this I get the impression you dont take criticism particularly well, so on that note I shall withdraw from this thread, I don't think there is any need for us to get all " keyboard warriors" on each other.

You cant post anything in this forum without someone having a dig!

There's always someone waiting to **** on your bonfire, the bigger the badge, the greater the stakes, the more they want to put you down.

What ever happened to just having a craic!

Oops I appear to have hit a nerve! we getting all condescending and patronising all of a sudden...from this I get the impression you dont take criticism particularly well, so on that note I shall withdraw from this thread, I don't think there is any need for us to get all " keyboard warriors" on each other.

I think describing it as a 'nerve' is giving you too much kudos fella :)

I am indeed calm, but there are only so many ways to write the same content and explain a perfectly valid theory before you start to sound condescending & patronising.

Criticism is well received if its valid and useful...your comments/posts are neither

There's always someone waiting to **** on your bonfire, the bigger the badge, the greater the stakes, the more they want to put you down.

What ever happened to just having a craic!

Unfortunate mate but sooo very true....

It's all about the craic!! so it is....:)

thanks, goodbye :hi: