Stage 1 remap torque figures. Dyno print

ab1702

Reaction score
Had my CR engine 170 tdi quattro remapped yesterday and had a dyno run included with it aswell which I have attached the print out.
I thought I were getting it done at a good remapping place as I had a few places in mind beforehand.
It's only today after I've had it done that I've really took any notice of torque figures after reading a different thread on this forum.
The figures it has achieved are 212 hp and 448NM torque or 331 lb-ft as shown in the graph below.
I'm no expert on remapping at all but the graph below looks good to me from what I understand but I'm concerned on the torque figure of 331 lb-ft with a standard clutch.

Does anyone with a decent knowledge of remapping know if this is basically going to kill my clutch or not over a matter of months or should it be ok as the remapper says it will be fine but I'm not sure if I'm honest.
I'm prepared to go back if needed for the torque lowering or for it to be put back to standard and then I'll go somewhere else.

Oh I've looked on three other websites which includes Revo at figures after a stage 1 remap for the same engine and they all have lower torque figures.
IMG 3511

Should always factor in a clutch when remapping.
I'm guessing your manual?
I'm DSG and been fine on 360 ft/lb for over 3 years

All depends how you drive. Launching and flooring where the peak torque is at will eventually kill your clutch. My old neighbour ran a mapped diesel for 4 years with no clutch issues, and he didn't tootle around either. But 2 weeks after he sold it the clucth went on the new owner.

All depends how you drive. Launching and flooring where the peak torque is at will eventually kill your clutch. My old neighbour ran a mapped diesel for 4 years with no clutch issues, and he didn't tootle around either. But 2 weeks after he sold it the clucth went on the new owner.

I understand that but what I'm trying to get at is that they have set the peak torque at 331 lb-ft. I'm wanting to know if that torque is too much for a standard clutch, revo and some other tuners don't set their peak torque that high so there must be a reason why they don't set it so high and I'm wanting to know if that is because the clutch cant handle it after a while.

OK, if it was too high it would be slipping already. Don't read too much into individual dyno prints as some are not as accurate as you might think - it's the relative gains that are important. I thought the std torque figure of the 170 cr was around 260lb/ft? If so then the dyno is over reading by 10 lb/ft, so you may not have as much torque as the dyno plot suggests. Usually, it's the way the torque is delivered that is a clutch killer. The plot suggests it comes in nice and smooth - does it feel like this driving?

OK, if it was too high it would be slipping already. Don't read too much into individual dyno prints as some are not as accurate as you might think - it's the relative gains that are important. I thought the std torque figure of the 170 cr was around 260lb/ft? If so then the dyno is over reading by 10 lb/ft, so you may not have as much torque as the dyno plot suggests. Usually, it's the way the torque is delivered that is a clutch killer. The plot suggests it comes in nice and smooth - does it feel like this driving?

On The revo website they claim 260 is the stock reading so what you're saying is about right.
I also thought that how the torque was delivered contributed quite alot towards the clutches performance but as I said before I don't know all that much about remapping but I did also think that there much be a top figure that the clutch can handle but maybe that isn't right and it more depends on how the power is delivered.
It does feel like it is delivered smooth yes, it doesn't feel like there is all of a sudden a big boost in power at certain revs.

That looks like quite a reasonable remap to me TBH. The peak torque figure is not always the main factor rather how it is delivered. Some remaps on diesels are quite poor having torque spikes where the tuner is trying to build boost quite quickly resulting in a big spike.
This to some people might look like a better remap as the figures are bigger, but in the real world the clutch will slip a lot more readily and the sudden increase in torque will just result in wheel spin as the tyres will break traction. I would be happy with the remap you have on your car
Peak torque is about 22% up and is delivered in a progressive smooth way.
I would say anything over 350Lb/ft is borderline for what you would want on a stock 240mm clutch.
If the car has already done 120K miles then a remap would possibly cause the clutch to slip even at that level.
How many miles has your car done ?

This is a Darkside Developments remap. Terrible torque spike seen on a lot of there maps.
Engine: 2.0TDi PDD 170

Engine Code(s): BMN, BMR

Stock Power: 170bhp
Darkside Remap: 195-205bhp
leon-ppd-2.0tdi-170bhp-bmn1.jpg

Reactions: ab1702
@desertstorm if what you are saying is right then that is exactly what I had hoped to hear.

I don't know if it's possible or not but I were thinking what someone else said above that the dyno might be a bit generous as a couple of week ago they posted on Facebook that they had mapped a 170 CR engine seat Leon and it's torque figures were slightly higher than mine and they got it to 222bhp and that was with the dpf and egr still in place which I personally haven't seen them results before.

My car is just starting to touch 90000 miles but I only do about 5-6000 a year.

With darkside I have seen a couple of their dyno prints now and both look similar. I purposely stayed away from them because of this and they would have been the convenient option for me as they're only about 4 mile away.

Welcome to the dyno lottery. The way the car is strapped down and the tyres along with tyre pressures etc can make 5-10 bhp difference.
I wouldn't worry about it the before figures were pretty ballpark for a standard car. Just enjoy it ,you wouldn't notice an extra 5bhp in 200.

Reactions: ab1702