Stage 1 Remap 1.8 TFSI 0-60?

Sitnas

Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm getting my 1.8 TFSI remapped (stage 1) tomorrow, by a company called Celtic Tuning. I've heard really good things about them so I decided to take the plunge.

The figures will be:

157BHP - 210BHP
184lb/ft - 251lb/ft

My questions are, does anyone have experience with a remap on this engine/car? What 0-60 times will I be looking at? Also will it be faster top end? and by how much?

Thanks

Is the car quattro? dsg? Should be relatively straightforward to compare vs a similar spec to your remapped spec. Just as an example your remapped spec is slightly higher than my 2.0 TFSI so guessing it would be faster to 60 all other things equal;

Is the car quattro? dsg? Should be relatively straightforward to compare vs a similar spec to your remapped spec. Just as an example your remapped spec is slightly higher than my 2.0 TFSI so guessing it would be faster to 60 all other things equal;

It's FWD and manual so I know I'll gain some numbers with that unfortunately.

closest spec wise is the 2.0 tfsi fwd manual then...

Power 197 bhp
Top Speed 146 mph
0-60 mph 7 secs
Torque 280 Nm, 207 ft-lb

Yous will be slightly higher power and torque and as its around 90kg lighter so would guess slightly quicker to 60 than the stock manual fwd 2.0 and you'll probably be able to hit the speed limiter unless you are getting it removed.

Of course this is all hypothetical really depends on how smooth your gear changes are and your driving technique what you'd be able to get real word

It won’t be faster too end as you’re not changing and gear ratios. If there is a speed limiter and they remove that then I guess you’ll get the go faster bit.

Do you have any additional mods or just the map? Ask the mapper for a rolling road (dyno) print out confirming the before and after otherwise the above targets are meaningless.

Have you searched this forum for Celtic? Not all good feedback sorry. I haven’t used them so I can’t speak from experience.

APR, Bluefin (Superchips), Revo (not really maintaining their R&D for the 8P) or a custom map would be the way to go. This isn’t an exclusive list.

closest spec wise is the 2.0 tfsi fwd manual then...

Power 197 bhp
Top Speed 146 mph
0-60 mph 7 secs
Torque 280 Nm, 207 ft-lb

Yous will be slightly higher power and torque and as its around 90kg lighter so would guess slightly quicker to 60 than the stock manual fwd 2.0 and you'll probably be able to hit the speed limiter unless you are getting it removed.

Of course this is all hypothetical really depends on how smooth your gear changes are and your driving technique what you'd be able to get real word

Will be getting the limiter removed if it has one. Neither the tuning company or me know if it has one yet. Will find out tomorrow though :D Thanks for your input!

It won’t be faster too end as you’re not changing and gear ratios. If there is a speed limiter and they remove that then I guess you’ll get the go faster bit.

Do you have any additional mods or just the map? Ask the mapper for a rolling road (dyno) print out confirming the before and after otherwise the above targets are meaningless.

Have you searched this forum for Celtic? Not all good feedback sorry. I haven’t used them so I can’t speak from experience.

APR, Bluefin (Superchips), Revo (not really maintaining their R&D for the 8P) or a custom map would be the way to go. This isn’t an exclusive list.

It's just going to be the stage 1 map. I'm thinking of getting a RAMAir intake and millitek exhaust soon and then eventually stage 2 it. I've read mixed reviews from Bluefin, I read someone bricked their A3 with one and had a lot of trouble getting it back to normal. I'll have a read about celtic on the site though.

Thanks for the input

I had a RamAir on my previous A3, a 1.8tfsi 2009 model. The RamAir was all that was available for that motor.

What year is yours? I went with the Bluefin however for the 09 year the ECU was inbetween years and wouldn’t take the map via the obd port.

Unless you have deep pockets there isn’t a great deal you can do to the 1.8. Stage 1 is a good idea.

It’s a shame you don’t have the RamAir before the map - make sure Celtic will give you a map tweek at zero/low cost.

I had a RamAir on my previous A3, a 1.8tfsi 2009 model. The RamAir was all that was available for that motor.

What year is yours? I went with the Bluefin however for the 09 year the ECU was inbetween years and wouldn’t take the map via the obd port.

Unless you have deep pockets there isn’t a great deal you can do to the 1.8. Stage 1 is a good idea.

It’s a shame you don’t have the RamAir before the map - make sure Celtic will give you a map tweek at zero/low cost.

Mines 2007. Would the Bluefin chip fit and be more beneficial to get rather than go through celtic?

I don't want to be dishing out thousands on the car to be honest so I think I'll stage 2 it and then possibly leave it at that, then maybe get an S3.

What's a map tweak if you don't mind me asking?

You’ll be flowing more air with the RamAir fitted so the map may need to be adjusted to make the most of the additional air.

My personal preference would be Bluefin but I’ve used neither sorry. @Daveyonthemove can help here.

Yeah, when I started putting a wish list together for my 1.8 I quickly realised it would be a lot of ££ for little HP gain. I bit the bullet and went to an S3. I even had an IHI turbo from a MK6 Golf (direct for) but it would have been too ££ to complete.

You’ll be flowing more air with the RamAir fitted so the map may need to be adjusted to make the most of the additional air.

My personal preference would be Bluefin but I’ve used neither sorry. @Daveyonthemove can help here.

Yeah, when I started putting a wish list together for my 1.8 I quickly realised it would be a lot of ££ for little HP gain. I bit the bullet and went to an S3. I even had an IHI turbo from a MK6 Golf (direct for) but it would have been too ££ to complete.

Sweet, I'll get them to give me a map tweak. How much did your S3 set you back? What year is it?

Been close to buying a 1.8 a few times with the aim of remapping. Them gains do look good.
I’ve read though that Celtic’s figures are somewhat optimistic. Dyno would be a good check.

I've read mixed reviews from Bluefin, I read someone bricked their A3 with one and had a lot of trouble getting it back to normal.

This has happened to me, but to be fair to Superchips they did sort it within 30 mins for me.
It happened because the file didn't download 100% onto the device, and this was not something you realise until the file is loaded to the car and the cooling fan comes on and the car won't start.
It may have been a wifi drop out, or I could have knocked the cable as it was installing to the bluefin, TBH nobody knows.
However, when I called them they were able to send out a recovery file, talk me through it and the resend the remap as soon as the car was put back to normal. They then confirmed everything over the phone and the remap was installed and working again.

Whilst they don't provide the most power, they do make a huge difference to the car and their support is excellent.
My only advice (if you did try them in the future) would be to make sure you install any file for the first time at home during SC working hours so you can get support straight away. You don't want to do it on a Friday night on a car park and be stuck until monday morning!

Reactions: Sitnas and samuelh_888
This has happened to me, but to be fair to Superchips they did sort it within 30 mins for me.

That must have been an experience haha!

Mines being done as we speak, the engineer told me it will be done in around half an hour to an hour so I'll report back once it's done and I've tested it.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
It was stressful at the time as I did it on a car park a mile from home after 5pm. Obviously I learnt the hard way, which is why I can advise of my errors so others don't do the same.

Hope the remap at Celtic went well.

Would just like to update you all, I've had the car mapped now for 5 days and I'm enjoying the extra power. Much more torque in the higher gears and considerably quicker in 1st and 2nd. It likes to light up a lot more in lower gears too . Overall, I'm very pleased with how it turned out but I think it's time to start saving for stage 2 lol

Would just like to update you all, I've had the car mapped now for 5 days and I'm enjoying the extra power. Much more torque in the higher gears and considerably quicker in 1st and 2nd. It likes to light up a lot more in lower gears too . Overall, I'm very pleased with how it turned out but I think it's time to start saving for stage 2 lol

I know this is a bit of an older thread but how did it affect the mpg if any. Considering getting a bluefin

I know this is a bit of an older thread but how did it affect the mpg if any. Considering getting a bluefin
I can only speak for myself, but with a Bluefin installed on my S3 I was able to get 36mpg driving from Oxford to the Lake district sticking to speed limits and driving with the flow of traffic.
Average tank for me was around 30-32mpg, so pretty good considering.

I can only speak for myself, but with a Bluefin installed on my S3 I was able to get 36mpg driving from Oxford to the Lake district sticking to speed limits and driving with the flow of traffic.
Average tank for me was around 30-32mpg, so pretty good considering.

Yeah I average anywhere from 27-34, it depends how much I drive and how fast haha.

I went through a phase for about 2 months just foot to the floor all the time, it's safe to say I prefer the money in my pocket from non-wasted fuel. I was spending £80 a week just driving 14 miles and back to work. But I've cut that down to about £45, so we gucci.

I'd 100% reccomend a map, just be aware that if you've got a heavy foot, you better have a heavy wallet.

Thanks for the feedback guys
I'm currently doing about 16 mile (no motorway) a day and averaging about 32 mpg
On a good motorway run I can get 42-43mpg

I've got my dad head on and I'm worried the daily commute will start costing more and in reality the enjoyment of the extra bhp won't be of much use.

It would be great if i could trial it for a week :D. Wonder if bluefin do a money back option

I would go elsewhere, Celtic don’t do a rolling road test before and after the map is installed. This can lead to other problems sush as flatspots and too much power killing the clutch. You also need to ask them if your original map is stored should you wish to to revert to stock in the future and should be at no charge.
There much better custom mapping companies out there mentioned in the Site Sponsors threads on this forum.
Forget the 0-60 times that’s for Nova/Corsa forums.

They develope maps on their rolling road, they don’t put your car on them. It’s a one map fits all.