Stage 1 - help and thoughts

garethdj

Reaction score
Options below, appreciate some thoughts on them:
1. Racingline stage 1 ECU and TCU
2. Revo stage 1 and TVS driveability TCU
3. MRC stage 1 ECU and TCU (from CM tuning in Leeds)
4. Custom stage 1 ECU and TCU from the Performance Centre in Sunderland, my local tuner

1. Matched ECU and TCU, free upgrades for life and TCU lasts to stage 3
2. This probably ticks the most boxes in that it gives me the exhaust flaps open in sport where racingline doesnt, I also don't really need faster shifts just a better drive so TVS ticks that. However there's potentially more cost if I then decide to go stage 2
3. MRC software but a generic map like the others and as understand it CM tuning don't have a dyno, also have to travel a little for this
4. Have had a staff RS3 for a couple of years, and mapped a few more, very competitive at £549 for stage 1 and TCU. Popped down yesterday and had a lengthy chat with the guys down there. Step dad has a stage 1 on his Macan there and was impressed.

Thoughts?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Mrc stage 1 with Tip intakes,Bmc air filter and multi maps with octane booster and will get you between 500-520ps/ 700-740nm

Reactions: garethdj
Options below, appreciate some thoughts on them:
1. Racingline stage 1 ECU and TCU
2. Revo stage 1 and TVS driveability TCU
3. MRC stage 1 ECU and TCU (from CM tuning in Leeds)
4. Custom stage 1 ECU and TCU from the Performance Centre in Sunderland, my local tuner

1. Matched ECU and TCU, free upgrades for life and TCU lasts to stage 3
2. This probably ticks the most boxes in that it gives me the exhaust flaps open in sport where racingline doesnt, I also don't really need faster shifts just a better drive so TVS ticks that. However there's potentially more cost if I then decide to go stage 2
3. MRC software but a generic map like the others and as understand it CM tuning don't have a dyno, also have to travel a little for this
4. Have had a staff RS3 for a couple of years, and mapped a few more, very competitive at £549 for stage 1 and TCU. Popped down yesterday and had a lengthy chat with the guys down there. Step dad has a stage 1 on his Macan there and was impressed.

Thoughts?

My honest opinion would be MCR but make the trip down south, would be worth it 10x over. I’ve never had any experience with Racingline so can’t comment. Revo are a good option but don’t have any of the little extras you can throw in like exhaust flaps open in dynamic and extra pops etc. Performance Centre Sunderland I’ve heard recent negative feedback about a Mk2 Focus RS they mapped which basically blew the engine. The owner had emailed them multiple times about the car not feeling right and they fobbed him off. I had my M4 lowered there about 4 years ago and they seemed spot on but definitely not an RS3 expert.

My other opinion would be Infinit Performance in Glasgow. I’m from Newcastle and I took my PFL there in December for stage 1 and Aoon is a very knowledgeable guy with regards to the RS3 platform and has done a lot of development work on the FL RS3 etc. I know of more FL mapped by him than even MRC.

My honest opinion would be MCR but make the trip down south, would be worth it 10x over. I’ve never had any experience with Racingline so can’t comment. Revo are a good option but don’t have any of the little extras you can throw in like exhaust flaps open in dynamic and extra pops etc. Performance Centre Sunderland I’ve heard recent negative feedback about a Mk2 Focus RS they mapped which basically blew the engine. The owner had emailed them multiple times about the car not feeling right and they fobbed him off. I had my M4 lowered there about 4 years ago and they seemed spot on but definitely not an RS3 expert.

My other opinion would be Infinit Performance in Glasgow. I’m from Newcastle and I took my PFL there in December for stage 1 and Aoon is a very knowledgeable guy with regards to the RS3 platform and has done a lot of development work on the FL RS3 etc. I know of more FL mapped by him than even MRC.
Good to hear from someone local.

The more I'm thinking about it the more I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and going MRC.

Revo actually so have lots of the extras in in the FL software, exhaust flaps open in sport dynamic being one, that's what drew me to them initially.

I saw that about the focus and actually asked them up front about it when I was down there this week. Seems like there is LOTS more to it than what was posted on the net, which I wasn't surprised of tbh. They just chose not to engage in it over social. The image with the car shooting them massive flames told me all I need to know... You're asking for a blown engine, especially in a Ford!

One of the staff has actually had a FL RS3 for about 2 years, mapped by them which is what gave me a bit of confidence, he's only replaced it. They pulled up some of the dynographs from others they've mapped and talked me through them too.

Not sure if you saw the whole TR Hamza thing on YouTube re Infinit? If I was going to travel might as well go MRC like you say.

Cheers for the thoughts, some good input!

Good to hear from someone local.

The more I'm thinking about it the more I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and going MRC.

Revo actually so have lots of the extras in in the FL software, exhaust flaps open in sport dynamic being one, that's what drew me to them initially.

I saw that about the focus and actually asked them up front about it when I was down there this week. Seems like there is LOTS more to it than what was posted on the net, which I wasn't surprised of tbh. They just chose not to engage in it over social. The image with the car shooting them massive flames told me all I need to know... You're asking for a blown engine, especially in a Ford!

One of the staff has actually had a FL RS3 for about 2 years, mapped by them which is what gave me a bit of confidence, he's only replaced it. They pulled up some of the dynographs from others they've mapped and talked me through them too.

Not sure if you saw the whole TR Hamza thing on YouTube re Infinit? If I was going to travel might as well go MRC like you say.

Cheers for the thoughts, some good input!

I just feel you’ll get better bang for your buck by seeing a tuner and dynoing the car etc.

Most stage 1 maps are all generic but they’ll health check your car before and after to make sure it runs spot on, tweak any little thing you want like over run, pops and bangs etc. And they should sort out any flat spots in the map of there are any.

The TR Hamza YouTube thing he actually came out and said there’s nothing wrong with Infinit, His map was fine and no falling out or anything like that, he just spoke to MCR as they’re closer and had other work carried out there and was sick of driving 5 hours to Glasgow unless I missed something?

I chose Infinit because I had seen Aoons RS3 years ago and had met him before he started the tuning company, he knows what he’s doing and Glasgow isn’t really that far. I’d seen what he’d been doing with the FL platform and my map is absolutely spot on.

In all fairness any big name tuner will be absolutely fine, it’s only a stage 1 map at the end of the day it’s not like you’re aiming for a sub 10 second drag car and have spent thousands on an engine build and need to squeeze everything out of it. If you’re thinking of MCR I’d 100% make the trip down south and get it done properly you wouldn’t regret it and they’re probably the biggest tuning name in the RS genre so you know it’ll have no issues. One of my mates RS3s is mapped there on a TTE500 and he loves it.

Yeah I get you mate.

Funnily enough just had a chat with one of the guys from just car care about getting mine booked in for a detail, lives around the corner from me. Mentioned mapping and he said performance centre straight away just on the sheere volume of cars they map on a daily basis, has also been in their staff RS3 as he knows the lad who owns it!

There was a boycott infinit page floating about on insta and TR Hamza followed the page for a very brief period, did make me wonder. Have to say though Aoon came across very well in the videos Hamza did.

MRC is the constant shout that no one has anyhring to say against!

Have you thought of taking it to @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. in Stockport. Closer than MRC and I am fairly sure Rick can accomodate any particular requirements you have for exhaust flap opening or DSG maps.
https://www.facebook.com/UnicornMotorDevelopments
I have messaged them mate to be fair but everyone just tends to say MRC. Had a look on their insta and couldn't see a ton if RS3 FLs, not to say that's the be all and end all.

I am biased because I work for Revo ( I do the RS3 maps) but just wanted to let you know that Revo own 2 RS3 cars, a DAZA ( my old car) and a DNWA, both have done many thousands of miles to prove out both Stage 1 and the new Stage 2 work. I can try to answer any questions you may have. Of course, many other people map these cars so I am in no way saying you should go to Revo.

I am biased because I work for Revo ( I do the RS3 maps) but just wanted to let you know that Revo own 2 RS3 cars, a DAZA ( my old car) and a DNWA, both have done many thousands of miles to prove out both Stage 1 and the new Stage 2 work. I can try to answer any questions you may have. Of course, many other people map these cars so I am in no way saying you should go to Revo.
Thank you. Revo were the original that I was drawn to. I wasn't in a position to pull the trigger when the black Friday sale was on unfortunately. Its given me the time to do more research and made things a little harder! If another sale crops up might be enough to sway me whilst I'm still undecided!

Revo does look quite conservative in comparison to Apr or MRC as far as torque figures go, no doubt to keep with the torque cap of the stock box? I do find it really surprising that you're not offering a gearbox map with stage 2 though, assuming it pushes past that 600nm cap!

You could also look at ds1 with tvs map for the dsg. Good things about the preloaded off the shelf maps and easy enough to get a remote tune from number of well respected company's, including bevo. Benefits of being able to do your own logs for interests and safety's sske, RAL and map switching.

Thank you. Revo were the original that I was drawn to. I wasn't in a position to pull the trigger when the black Friday sale was on unfortunately. Its given me the time to do more research and made things a little harder! If another sale crops up might be enough to sway me whilst I'm still undecided!

Revo does look quite conservative in comparison to Apr or MRC as far as torque figures go, no doubt to keep with the torque cap of the stock box? I do find it really surprising that you're not offering a gearbox map with stage 2 though, assuming it pushes past that 600nm cap!

Well I am not going to try and convince you one way or another. I know that Revo is a good option, I have been calibrating engines for 24yrs now for major OEM's around the world before I joined Revo. We dont yet offer DSG tuning for RS3 as the likes of TVS are more experienced, happily admit that. Ive run 700+ Nm on our cars and its nice but hard on the gearbox. Fine if you just want numbers, I prefer driveability and day to day refinement. All I wanted to say is that Revo is an option and I am here if you want to ask questions.

Well I am not going to try and convince you one way or another. I know that Revo is a good option, I have been calibrating engines for 24yrs now for major OEM's around the world before I joined Revo. We dont yet offer DSG tuning for RS3 as the likes of TVS are more experienced, happily admit that. Ive run 700+ Nm on our cars and its nice but hard on the gearbox. Fine if you just want numbers, I prefer driveability and day to day refinement. All I wanted to say is that Revo is an option and I am here if you want to ask questions.
Appreciate you commenting, genuinely. As I said Revo was my initial go to and is still a contender. I'd pair it with a TVS driveability map for that very reason. Stock shifts at are enough for me just find the gearbox gets a little confused sometimes. Hoping theres another Revo sale around the corner

Gareth just another quick point to make on torque, don’t be fooled by figures always check the dyno graph and look at the torque. A lot of these high torque figured maps only give you the peak torque for about 2/300 rpm then it dies off, and the average torque across the peak power when turbo hits full boost is a lot lower than what the figure statse. What you’d probably find better for day to day driving is what I’d call a flat torque map or linear torque map, this is where the tuner will give you a lower peak torque figure but a flatter more even line of torque over the Rev range probably averaging more torque within the power band of full boost. I’m not in any way saying any of the tuners you stated there would have a really high peak torque for a short period of time, just to always check the graph of the quoted figures to make sure. From experience I think Revo offer quite linear torque maps which may be why you have seen slightly lower torque figures. Haven’t seen the Revo map for your car though.

Whatever your decision you’ll love how the car feels after, but I would 100% pair it with a gearbox map as you’ll definitely need to increase clutch clamping pressure for the higher torque etc. I know you mentioned you liked the gear changes as they are but trust me the faster shifts are 100% worth it. My gearbox map has stupidly quick gear shifts and the 3 pop ‘dsg fart’ is just now one quick bang and it sounds so good I love it.

I’ve got stage 1 REVO on my OPF RS3 and also went TVS stage 2+, very happy with both.

Yes the power figures may not be as other tuners are quoting, MRC probably your best bet if that’s what you’re after but for me the development that REVO had put in on their OPF car and that this was my first step into tuning reassured me to go for it, no regrets and zero issues the last 12 months.

Nice power delivery, noticeably more torque and pops/burbles map a much needed addition on sound.

The TVS tune has really helped especially with launches on the OPF car, noticeable lag as well documented on initial launch but now it gets off the line like a greased eel!

Good luck who ever you decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan_DJT and garethdj
I’ve got stage 1 REVO on my OPF RS3 and also went TVS stage 2+, very happy with both.

Yes the power figures may not be as other tuners are quoting, MCR probably your best bet if that’s what you’re after but for me the development that REVO had put in on their OPF car and that this was my first step into tuning reassured me to go for it, no regrets and zero issues the last 12 months.

Nice power delivery, noticeably more torque and pops/burbles map a much needed addition on sound.

The TVS tune has really helped especially with launches on the OPF car, noticeable lag as well documented on initial launch but now it gets off the line like a greased eel!

Good to hear thanks for commenting. I'm pre opf so hopefully even a little more sound! I was just thinking of the TVS driveability though rather than stage 2+, not sure it there's an option to upgrade at a later date, can't see anything on the TVS site?

Reactions: Riko0073

Yes the power figures may not be as other tuners are quoting, MCR probably your best bet if that’s what you’re after but for me the development that REVO had put in on their OPF car and that this was my first step into tuning reassured me to go for it, no regrets and zero issues the last 12 months.

Also when you say pops and burbles map. Did you go for the Sps switch or is this just when it's in dynamic/sport? Thanks

Good to hear thanks for commenting. I'm pre opf so hopefully even a little more sound! I was just thinking of the TVS driveability though rather than stage 2+, not sure it there's an option to upgrade at a later date, can't see anything on the TVS site?

Ah sorry thought yours was OPF too, yes plenty more sound :icon thumright:

Not sure on the TVS question, tuner I used advised best option on the 2+.

Mine was right at the end of the last non opfs, so right in the nick of time.

Thanks, I know driveability comes with 2+ as standard so probs the best value. My main gripe is driving it in sport is that the gearbox constantly revs too high, rather than needing better shifts, hence thinking that would do the trick.

Also when you say pops and burbles map. Did you go for the Sps switch or is this just when it's in dynamic/sport? Thanks

No sps switch, just controlled through drive select in sport/dynamic/individual. Was concerned it would be too much but they are so easily controllable through revs/throttle input and quite a lot of fun, seen others that are just constant and a bit ASBO for my liking!

Reactions: Dan_DJT and garethdj
Mine was right at the end of the last non opfs, so right in the nick of time.

Thanks, I know driveability comes with 2+ as standard so probs the best value. My main gripe is driving it in sport is that the gearbox constantly revs too high, rather than needing better shifts, hence thinking that would do the trick.

Yep sport mode much easier to live with and use now.

No sps switch, just controlled through drive select in sport/dynamic/individual. Was concerned it would be too much but they are so easily controllable through revs/throttle input and quite a lot of fun, seen others that are just constant and a bit ASBO for my liking!
Ah brilliant didn't realise Revo offered that. Assume that as a result of the valves being permanently open in those modes. Guessing it's just completely off in comfort mode though?

Ah brilliant didn't realise Revo offered that. Assume that as a result of the valves being permanently open in those modes. Guessing it's just completely off in comfort mode though?

Yep that’s my understanding but no idea if any different on pre OPF cars?

The wastegate rattle was less of an issue on OPF cars but REVO also solve that and no rattle with cold starts on mine.

I don't have any issues with the rattle, at least that I notice anyway but good to know.

On another note, I rang another local tuner yesterday out of interest and they quoted me 520bhp at stage 1, like it wasn't a thing either! I know that's possible but running octane booster, no thanks!

TVS Stage 2+ sorts out the car holding onto the gears too long.
Not cheap (especially with the flash tool) but worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Riko0073 and garethdj
I don't have any issues with the rattle, at least that I notice anyway but good to know.

On another note, I rang another local tuner yesterday out of interest and they quoted me 520bhp at stage 1, like it wasn't a thing either! I know that's possible but running octane booster, no thanks!

Personally I wasn’t chasing numbers, main reason was for the improved sound and a sensible increase of around 60bhp that just sat better with me, plus the REVO tuner is 10 minutes from me.

I'm not chasing numbers either, if I was I'd just bit the bullet and go stage 2, I could afford it.

The car still has about 6 months warranty left then another 12 of audi used approved extended warranty after that. I originally bought it as a daily with a commute of about 50/60 miles per day but now find myself working from home permanently, so it's become a weekend car therefore will be lucky to get a couple of thousand miles a year. So if I'm sacfricing the warranty I don't want to go mad and push things too far. However I've still got to be able to chuck the kids and missus in and do family stuff on a weekend as well so don't want to go full asbo!

TVS Stage 2+ sorts out the car holding onto the gears too long.
Not cheap (especially with the flash tool) but worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm guessing thats due to the driveability elements included as part of 2+ which is why I'm thinking it's probably all I need.

I'm not chasing numbers either, if I was I'd just bit the bullet and go stage 2, I could afford it.

The car still has about 6 months warranty left then another 12 of audi used approved extended warranty after that. I originally bought it as a daily with a commute of about 50/60 miles per day but now find myself working from home permanently, so it's become a weekend car therefore will be lucky to get a couple of thousand miles a year. So if I'm sacfricing the warranty I don't want to go mad and push things too far. However I've still got to be able to chuck the kids and missus in and do family stuff on a weekend as well so don't want to go full asbo!

I hear you mate but given yours is pre OPF you’ll probably get a bit more power and sound on the stage 1 than my OPF but from what I’ve read the REVO tune is a nice smooth power delivery but probably others are too, just sharing my experience.

Hope all goes well with whoever you choose.

I’ve had Revo and MRC tunes.

Revo is very smooth. It’s almost OEM like and you could imagine if Audi did a “plus” version, it’s what it would feel like.

MRC is definitely more full on, more torquey and more of a hooligan.

I loved both. If I was buying one to keep forever, then I’d go Revo. If you’re looking for outright power, fun and a bit of a project car, go MRC.

Reactions: devonpinall and garethdj
Very happy with my Revo stage 2, a lot smoother power delivery over the rev range than initial stage 1

So Revo have just dropped an update on their stage 1 software for Daza engines. More safety features and more noise. Think that's sold it for me!

Reactions: Riko0073 and Dan_DJT
So Revo have just dropped an update on their stage 1 software for Daza engines. More safety features and more noise. Think that's sold it for me!

Stage 2 Performance Pack released for DAZA as well now, DNWA coming in next few weeks

Stage 2 Performance Pack released for DAZA as well now, DNWA coming in next few weeks
Hard to find on your website. Searching under rs3 you can only see stage 2 software. Googlong performance pack and rs3, only the ttrs comes up.

Hard to find on your website. Searching under rs3 you can only see stage 2 software. Googlong performance pack and rs3, only the ttrs comes up.

Should all be on by the end of today, been a few website issues I believe

What’s exactly done for the DNWA stage 2 Dan?
Intake, turbo elbow, intercooler and tune to suit, it retains the GPF to keep it legal :) . But tuning from other providers is available of course.

Reactions: 8YARWY and Riko0073

Should be sorted now :smiley:

Reactions: garethdj and 8YARWY