Stage 1 correction on rs3

DW81

Reaction score
Hi there, so with the weather looking quite good this coming weekend down here in the SE I’m going to give the car a quick stage 1 machine polish with my DA’s and meguiars D300 compound.
Now as this is my only car and used as a daily for months at a time and always kept outside as I don’t have a garage. So I’m not looking for perfection as there are stone chips over the front bumper roof down the sides etc.

I started with a full Decon as usual and clay mitt the whole car, this took next to no time and these things are worth there weight in gold.

I managed to correct most of the spider swirl marks from the last time I did this on the roof and spoiler last night, got two coats of Cquartz uk 3.0 on and left over night as there was no rain forecasted.
I will say I’m doing all the correction work outside without my marquee as I’ve meant it out and so far it’s polishing ok without to much trouble from the occasional breeze.

I may have said before that I bought gtechniq CSL and exo but as this will require a much longer cure time between costs and lack of garage facilities I opted for Cquartz instead, as I used this on my TTS a few years back and it’s extremely user friendly.

So I will add photos of my kit and work if you folks would like me to.

One last thing, the gtechniq kit as never been used so I’m looking to sell this, along with my mtm Astra pressure washer gun snow foam canon and quick disconnect 45degree nozzle as I have a new one for my kranzle and bought Cquartz uk 3.0 instead.

If anyone is interested I’ll send over the photos I have of these bits of kit and we can do a deal.

Cheers guys&gals

Dan

Reactions: Jassyo06
Stage 1 correction requires a second to finish it off or do you mean a 1 step correction of the paint mate

Stage 1 correction requires a second to finish it off or do you mean a 1 step correction of the paint mate

Hi Jason, I mean just a couple of passes with the da over the area. Opted for d300 for this as it as abit of bite to the cutting but I don’t think it requires another stage like the final polishing one to remove the haze left as it is looks very sharp just after the initial two passes.
As removed a lot of the swirls but there are some deeper ones I had a go at with some 205, but this just will not budge them.
Tbh I’m happy with the results I’m getting, as it may not be corrected but looks a lot better and paint looks much sharper too.

Can seem to upload a photo, it’s saying file is to big, I could do it before.
Using an iPhone 8 if this helps

D358FA01 B0A4 46D1 A2CC 2BA5C4667B7A
C87ADAB3 069A 4B46 80C0 285E715FDEB2

32C88769 A74D 46CA A313 F9E74DADA3A4

Managed to upload a few pics of the job. Paint is correcting nicely with just two passes to sharpen it up. No hazing whatsoever with the D300, so perfect for the results I’m looking for in the time frame.
I will say there are some deeper scratches and marks that will require a more stout polisher and compound but this can wait till next time.
I will say that the da polishers I have seen to work much better with little or no down force applied to them, otherwise they just seem to bog down. Reading into it some more it seems that the more expensive rupes and flex ones have a much higher torque motor and therefore I’m assuming that you can apply abit more pressure to get a much better cut.
Either way happy with how it is going

Just use a heavier cutting compound and this will remove the deeper scratches,then go over it again with the D300,Your using Microfibre pads and these are in general are more aggressive than foam pads mate....so no need to buy more aggressive pads,good work mate Sepang looks awesome

Reactions: NevMan
Just use a heavier cutting compound and this will remove the deeper scratches,then go over it again with the D300,Your using Microfibre pads and these are in general are more aggressive than foam pads mate....so no need to buy more aggressive pads,good work mate Sepang looks awesome

I will do next time Jason mate. Under abit of time restraint at the moment as I need to have this buttoned up tomorrow as the rains are due Tuesday down here.
Will say I think I’ve picked a nice few days to do this work especially outside where you can really let the sun tell you where you need to improve on.