stage 1 clutch

darrant1234

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get a new clutch after going to stage 1 and it starting to slip. where's the cheapest place to get them from? done loads of reading on here and think a saches organic and new dual mass fly wheel is the route I'll go. unless somebody can say the helix one is suitable (seems a bit cheaper too?).

Reactions: Hookmonster
Hi, I'm looking to get a new clutch after going to stage 1 and it starting to slip. where's the cheapest place to get them from? done loads of reading on here and think a saches organic and new dual mass fly wheel is the route I'll go. unless somebody can say the helix one is suitable (seems a bit cheaper too?).
How long have you had stage 1? Is it a noticeable difference to before? I am considering getting it done at some point.

It is a difference yes. Would I say it's worth it if you have to get a new clutch. I'm not so sure

Do you want to do more modifications/ increase the power? If not, then can you ask the remapper to tweak the map?
I had my A3 done at R-Tech last June. When they put the map on, they noticed a bit of clutch slip and toned the torque down just a little bit. Still got 20% increase in horses but also a clutch that has slipped only a couple of times since in the 10k miles I have driven post remap.

How long have you had stage 1? Is it a noticeable difference to before? I am considering getting it done at some point.

Massive difference to my 2.0Tfsi and the best thing I've done with my car by far. A great 'bang for buck/smiles' upgrade.

Reactions: Pazzer
The clutch was fine for about a month. Now slips a fair bit. I could ask about getting the torque down a bit

I've just ordered the Helix kit from awesome gti, they said its rated for road Stg 2....

For info, with Stg 1 re-map clutch was fine for about 3 months :) 75k

I've just ordered the Helix kit from awesome gti, they said its rated for road Stg 2

Did they mention anything about it lasting for Stage 2+ as well by any chance?

Did they mention anything about it lasting for Stage 2+ as well by any chance?

Their actual response:

"They don't actually have torque ratings as helix don't give any info regarding them.
The Road version is good for Stage 2+ daily use. "

Have you considered a SMF? I need a new clutch and I'm intending going Stage 1 afterwards. I'm used to a heavier clutch than the Audi has, it seems very light for what it is. I've already got the SMF rattle as my DMF is on it's last legs!

Their actual response:

"They don't actually have torque ratings as helix don't give any info regarding them.
The Road version is good for Stage 2+ daily use. "

Cool thanks for the information.

Let us know your verdict after a couple hundred miles worth of driving!

Cool thanks for the information.

Let us know your verdict after a couple hundred miles worth of driving!

Helix kit had 3 week waiting, had to get the Sachs kit instead rated at 400 nm, definitely no slipping now but dam the pedal is hard as hell ha

How hard is the pedal over standard? Bought my Sachs going to have it fitted next sat

How hard is the pedal over standard? Bought my Sachs going to have it fitted next sat

Its 2x harder, bite point is aggressive, slight judder on the biting point in some gears, but no slippage, only done about 80 miles with it so hopefully after few more it will be good.

FYI

Sachs Organic Plate with their Cover rated at 400 nm

Helix Road rated 415 nm

So not much difference

Can cope with a peddle twice as hard. Standard s3 is really light anyway. Gone for the same with new luknfly wheel.

I got the 5 piece updated clutch from tsr performance for my s3 2010 sportback n they said it's good for 540nm 398 lb ft the complete kit was £725 delivered next day .
I agree on the stiffness as I've just done around 300 miles in it now and it's starting to get easier ( or I'm used to it now) lol
Can't fault it really . Yes it's stiff , aggressive and no where near oem feel as they state but worth every penny ( so far) in my opinion , really can put the power down
Mine was stage 1 & R/R @ 314.4 bhp n 375lb ft peak and roughly 320lb ft on average
Hope this helps

Reactions: HHS3
I got the 5 piece updated clutch from tsr performance for my s3 2010 sportback n they said it's good for 540nm 398 lb ft the complete kit was £725 delivered next day.

Is this Sachs Clutch & LUK DMF package what you purchased from TSR? http://www.tsr-performance.com/webshop/performance-clutches-and-associated-parts/sachs-performance-clutch-and-luk-dual-mass-flywheel-kit-tsrtfsipack/

If so can you confirm what comes in it, as I presume it's the following:
  • Sachs Organic Disc
  • LUK DMF
  • Pressure Plate
  • Sachs Slave Cylinder
  • Bolts etc.
Which would then just leave the release bearing to get.

Yes everything you've mentioned is in the kit

Cool thanks for confirming mate.

Did you get the release bearing done as well, if so where did you purchase that from? As that's the only thing I can't find on TSR and Awesome GTI only offer it as an extra if you purchase a clutch kit from them.

I didn't get the bearing done mate , tbh never even thought about it , guy said bearing we fine tho

I didn't get the bearing done mate , tbh never even thought about it , guy said bearing we fine tho

I don't know a great deal about it all but have seen that other people had theirs replaced whilst having the work done. So as long as the bearing is fine then that's all that matters as it isn't an uprated version sold, just a replacement.

I got the 5 piece updated clutch from tsr performance for my s3 2010 sportback n they said it's good for 540nm 398 lb ft the complete kit was £725 delivered next day .
I agree on the stiffness as I've just done around 300 miles in it now and it's starting to get easier ( or I'm used to it now) lol
Can't fault it really . Yes it's stiff , aggressive and no where near oem feel as they state but worth every penny ( so far) in my opinion , really can put the power down
Mine was stage 1 & R/R @ 314.4 bhp n 375lb ft peak and roughly 320lb ft on average
Hope this helps
375ft lb torque at stage 1?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458928333543340

If you look on full boost 375 n then levels around 320 mark

Be interesting to see what a revo stage 2+ or apr stage 2+ car makes on that dyno seeing as they only claim Max 370ft lb

No idea , it's just how it was explained to me so I might of mis understood but that's what I was led to believe ? Fairly new on remapping tbh lol

Someone with a better understanding than me may have abetter idea of it than me ,
But if I was running a standard fuel pump id be worried it was running very lean at those levels

Had it on rollers a few weeks back at RS tuning in leeds n they never mentioned anything , they did mention it to a few others that ran about they're cars tho

Just looks like a huge boost spike or overboost the way it falls away so quickly ,
But like I said someone like @S3Alex or another respected member will have a better idea than me

Reactions: S3Alex and St53daw
Yes I know I had a 3" turbo back custom Zorst put on and that's not been mapped in yet so that might he something to do with it , need a cai first before mapping

Just looks like a huge boost spike or overboost the way it falls away so quickly ,
But like I said someone like @S3Alex or another respected member will have a better idea than me

Totally agree.

That's a very odd shaped curve,and may feel initially impressive,but something is way out of shape to produce a curve like that.

Ye pretty sure I need to get another map possibly just a stage 2 n then get the rest of the stuff n fit for a 2+ , want it to be right n not cause damage etc

Ye pretty sure I need to get another map possibly just a stage 2 n then get the rest of the stuff n fit for a 2+ , want it to be right n not cause damage etc

My thoughts exactly.

You shouldn't be seeing huge spikes like that at any point in the torque range,as it usually points to a mapping issue.
It's also a good way to cook a clutch.

Don't want to do that either as just had an up rated organic in its that wasn't cheap lol

Don't want to do that either as just had an up rated organic in its that wasn't cheap lol

I know.
The Sachs served me very well for quite a while.

It finally gave in at 440lbs,which isn't bad at all,but they don't cope well with being overheated.

To be honest it's very rarely on high boost , still trying to bed it in as only done around 3-400 miles since being fit

To be honest it's very rarely on high boost , still trying to bed it in as only done around 3-400 miles since being fit

Very sensible.....the best way to make a Sachs last well and cope with a lot of torque is a good few hundred miles to run it in,but definitely get that torque mapping smoothed out.

Depending on where you are....

AMDTuning in the southeast.
Storm Developments near Aldermaston.
RIck at Unicorn.

These are people I know and would trust,but others will have their own lists and should be able to help across the country.