Stage 1 at R-tech today

Daveyonthemove

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Today I got up early and took a trip to R-tech, driving an hour and half to be there for 0830 for my booking.
I arrived quite early as I'm always cautious about traffic when driving to places I don't know and having a fixed appointment, so I was happy to be early rather than be late and mess anyone around.

The car was given a health check with the only issue being my revision D DV, which I suspected might want changing as revision G is preferred, but it turns out that I had a fake DV which I was unaware of.

After the DV was replaced and the car was given a clean bill of health, it was put on the rollers for tuning to begin.
Unexpectedly I received 5 switchable maps. I did see rolling road results as high as 334bhp and 344lbft and also as low as 274bhp, and many different results in between.
The rolling road print out shows a peak of 316.7bhp and 337.8lbft so I have no idea if this was the peak figure map, or one of the lesser maps of the 5.

I will say that the car is completely transformed and I highly recommend using these guys for remaps on these cars, but if you are like me and are short of time and like to know all the details you may be a little frustrated.

Looking forward to getting out in the car properly soon and seeing if the switchable maps are worth having, as a 'stock' map and 'full beans' map would have been plenty and probably shortened my visit by about 2 hours, but you can't argue that you don't get very good value for money :)
Rsz img 20190318 133022

Reactions: NevMan, Bryant1998, abmat and 3 others
I knew you’d like it there Dave.
How would you compare it to the Superchips map you had before?
The dyno graph will be your highest figures.
Amazing to have a fake standard DV. Are you able to say where you got it from?

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
The dyno graph will be your highest figures.
Amazing to have a fake standard DV. Are you able to say where you got it from?
I think you could be right as my figures are just about in stage 2 territory according to their website, so the engine is performing well.
I have tried to find any email relating to the DV purchase but I can't find any. I'll have to check my invoices to see if I kept a record and I'll update accordingly..

I have been surprised by the criticisms of the DV+ as mine was from Awesome and has been absolutely fine. I remember at the time i paid £105 and some people were paying £40 on ebay....

I wasn't using a DV+ Paddy. The Guys at R-tech didn't even mention the DV+, they simply advised me that the Revision D on my car was useless as it was fake and they replaced it with a revision G for me. I was expecting to be advised to get a DV+ considering how many people swear by them for better boost holding, so either R-tech don't rate them much or my car wouldn't benefit from one.

Either way, I have a genuine approved Rev G on the car now, so it should perform great.

Reactions: paddy

Sorry, I didn't intentionally skip this question yesterday, I was replying on my mobile (never fun) and somehow missed it.

In all fairness, the Bluefin doesn't come close but then I didn't buy one expecting it to be as good as a bespoke map.
My reasons for buying it were related to the age and condition of my car. I knew it was 11-12 years old with 104k on the clock and I knew it had a fair amount of service history, but I didn't have any invoices for a replacement clutch and I had no idea how the car had been driven previously, so the Bluefin was always an interim remap to test the waters and give me the ability to remove it at any time if I needed to. As it turned out, the remap made the clutch slip, so I removed it and sourced a new clutch before putting it back on again.

I'd also read virtually all threads on here relating to Superchips and the level of support and care other people had received made me feel confident that I would be looked after if needed. Peace of mind goes a long way.

With all that being said, the remap was quite good. I got the extra power and torque and the car was good fun, I certainly missed it when it was removed.
But it wasn't fine tuned for MY car on the rolling road with any little fuel or airflow issues accounted for, which is where the R-tech guys excel.
The car is now completely different, the torque is stronger and lasts longer and the car is more responsive to any request from the right foot.

On the note of the Bluefin, Superchips have reset mine for me and advised me that the next owner will have a completely FREE remap using my device, which allows me to sell it for a reasonable price.
So if anyone reading this is looking for a cheap Bluefin device with Remap then PM me.
Device code is BF06-VAG-T and vehicle applicability can be found here: https://www.superchips.co.uk/dealers/show_models_bluefin.php

OK thanks Dave, my mistake :)

Sorry, I didn't intentionally skip this question yesterday, I was replying on my mobile (never fun) and somehow missed it.

In all fairness, the Bluefin doesn't come close but then I didn't buy one expecting it to be as good as a bespoke map.
My reasons for buying it were related to the age and condition of my car. I knew it was 11-12 years old with 104k on the clock and I knew it had a fair amount of service history, but I didn't have any invoices for a replacement clutch and I had no idea how the car had been driven previously, so the Bluefin was always an interim remap to test the waters and give me the ability to remove it at any time if I needed to. As it turned out, the remap made the clutch slip, so I removed it and sourced a new clutch before putting it back on again.

I'd also read virtually all threads on here relating to Superchips and the level of support and care other people had received made me feel confident that I would be looked after if needed. Peace of mind goes a long way.

With all that being said, the remap was quite good. I got the extra power and torque and the car was good fun, I certainly missed it when it was removed.
But it wasn't fine tuned for MY car on the rolling road with any little fuel or airflow issues accounted for, which is where the R-tech guys excel.
The car is now completely different, the torque is stronger and lasts longer and the car is more responsive to any request from the right foot.

On the note of the Bluefin, Superchips have reset mine for me and advised me that the next owner will have a completely FREE remap using my device, which allows me to sell it for a reasonable price.
So if anyone reading this is looking for a cheap Bluefin device with Remap then PM me.
Device code is BF06-VAG-T and vehicle applicability can be found here: https://www.superchips.co.uk/dealers/show_models_bluefin.php

Thanks for your reply Dave. Exactly my thoughts about the Superchips.
Normally I used to take it off before sending my car to Audi for a service. One year I forgot and the tech asked me if my car was remapped so he must have felt it was more nippy.
I am on APR stage 2+ at the moment and I am back and forth between having a hybrid turbo fitted or just having an RTech map as I know it will be more of a beast than APR with their custom software.
The only trouble with having a hybrid is you have to leave the car at RTech for an extended period of time unless I had the APR version of the TTE 420 when it would take much less time. When you were there yesterday, was there a yellow S3? If so that has been there over a week having a TTE 480 mapped.
Regarding your revision G diverter valve. It is the only one guaranteed not to leak (until it splits!) I have just changed a G for another G after 50k miles on our TT. It was only changed as the car was in bits which made access easy on the K03 turbo.
I have had a DV+ and I think it certainly reduces the lag between gear changes as it only releases the boost it needs to rather than everything like the OE valves.
However, we have had trouble with the little O ring on the black piston splitting. Fair enough, it was replaced FOC but I did not want to keep inspecting it to check it was OK.
I know some people have had no issues with the DV+, so maybe I have just been unlucky.
Maybe I’ll have another when I am confident all issues have been ironed out.

Yes, the Yellow S3 was still there, but I didn't ask what work was being carried out on it.
I see DV's as a cheap replaceable item every couple of years, so I factor it in for future maintenance.

I am amazed that anyone would give up an APR 2+ for an R tech 2+ because they want more of a beast ? what sort of BHP are you expecting from the R-Tech and what do you have now ?the only comparison i have heard with the two maps is the R tech is softer without the bang at 2.5k revs. Thats not a bad thing as its probably more linear but " more of a beast" ?

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
For a bit of fun and to kill a few minutes before night shift, I made a quick video.

Reactions: samuelh_888, markbrown87 and mechanic69
I am amazed that anyone would give up an APR 2+ for an R tech 2+ because they want more of a beast ? what sort of BHP are you expecting from the R-Tech and what do you have now ?the only comparison i have heard with the two maps is the R tech is softer without the bang at 2.5k revs. Thats not a bad thing as its probably more linear but " more of a beast" ?
My son had a TTS with RTech stage 2+ and my S3 has APR 2+.
His car certainly felt that it pulled better than mine and would really take off and so I would say that the APR map is softer. Much less of a beast. Also, I suffer from the turbo flutter between 3 - 4 k revs that almost holds you back until it disappears over 4K. RTech can map around this. From memory my car has about 379 lbs ft but with the hardware I have fitted I would expect over 400 lbs ft from a custom map.

The TT always seems quicker, depending on the model its about 200kg lighter with alloy wings ,roof and tail ,as well as parts of chassis
Even in std form a TTS is 1 whole second quicker to 60mph than a S3

Reactions: downtothebone
Hi mate your figures are close to what I had on my R-tech stage 1 map on my previous S3.

Im back to APR now on my current S3 only because the dealer is close to me (easy option) and my last few APR cars have all been quick and reliable.

Im currently 2+ at the moment. Im finding my Manual 2+ was a lot faster than my current DSG 2+ but im yet to have the box mapped so that might make a difference.

As for the DV valve Im not sure if you seem my post a few weeks ago but I had a faulty/not 100% DV+ changed it for Rev G and it transformed the car.

Main thing is are you happy with the car with the new map?

For a bit of fun and to kill a few minutes before night shift, I made a quick video.

Hi mate your figures are close to what I had on my R-tech stage 1 map on my previous S3.

Im back to APR now on my current S3 only because the dealer is close to me (easy option) and my last few APR cars have all been quick and reliable.

Im currently 2+ at the moment. Im finding my Manual 2+ was a lot faster than my current DSG 2+ but im yet to have the box mapped so that might make a difference.

As for the DV valve Im not sure if you seem my post a few weeks ago but I had a faulty/not 100% DV+ changed it for Rev G and it transformed the car.

Main thing is are you happy with the car with the new map?
The car drives great, completely different and so much quicker at any point in the rev range. Couldn't be happier.
Going back to the 5 maps, I was looking back through some photos I took of the graphs after a few runs and assumed at the time that the 5 different lines were simply progression in order for him to compare and improve the next tweak.
But last night they shared a post on FB where he explained another car had 5 maps put on the car and shared a photo with 5 different power runs, just like mine.
So I'm a little bit confused as mine could be making more power on the strongest map than my RR printout suggests?
IMG 20190320 023144

Reactions: NevMan
Perhaps its because at 335bhp the car wasn't running at the right peak boost or something along them lines.

As my car was mapped already when I went to R-tech something along the lines of 324bhp but I was told the map was not a good one and wasn't safe for the engine/turbo etc. So I went in with 324bhp and came out with 317bhp haha but the car was a lot more progressive and safer if that makes sense?

Perhaps its because at 335bhp the car wasn't running at the right peak boost or something along them lines.

As my car was mapped already when I went to R-tech something along the lines of 324bhp but I was told the map was not a good one and wasn't safe for the engine/turbo etc. So I went in with 324bhp and came out with 317bhp haha but the car was a lot more progressive and safer if that makes sense?
Makes complete sense, I thought that myself to be honest.
I'm more than happy with the results regardless of the Rolling road. Tons of people have asked me what I hoped it would make, and my honest answer has always been that the peak BHP doesn't matter as much to me as having good strong usable torque. I always knew the BHP figure would be respectable, but I wanted to make the most of the uprated clutch and that is what I got.
If you look at their website I'm just about getting numbers quoted for a stage 2 map, so who wouldn't be happy with that? :)

Exactly mate :icon thumright:

Yes mate happy Days. Stage 2+ now haha :racer:
No, I'm not going down that route.
Firstly I don't want to spend that much money on car this old, it's just not worth it IMO.
Secondly, I did fit a Ramair kit ready for the remap and I removed it and sold it the next day as the noise was irritating me. I'd have to spend a lot of money changing things to get that power level without the noise, and right now the engine and exhaust is exactly where I want them to be.

Reactions: Charlie23
I’m here today

Attachments

• 9141B951-775E-4B0B-B138-1AF6AB889681.jpeg
    9141B951-775E-4B0B-B138-1AF6AB889681.jpeg
    687.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 33724A1A-AC3D-4873-AFB2-D8B20B587659.jpeg
    33724A1A-AC3D-4873-AFB2-D8B20B587659.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: NevMan and Daveyonthemove
You need an enclosed CAI that takes its air from outside of the engine bay if you want quiet.
This is my VWR

Attachments

• DSC_8647.JPG
    DSC_8647.JPG
    908 KB · Views: 154