Stage 1/2 - Custom mapped or/Rtech? come on in

kash_v

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have being going through the forum, searching endlessly regarding mapping and found very good threads on it. However I just wanted to get a rough idea what sort of power you have got from your cars, with Rtech/or a custom map from another tuner.

I plan on doing the following, Cobra sportscat downpipe/HPFP/Revo Intake/RS4 valve. Should see me to around 330-340bhp?

I have been on Rtechs site as its now been updated, they have been producing various BHP on the different stages which is good. Rtech mapped my Mk4 tdi Golf, so will only use them for the S3.

Thanks

Kash.

You have a very wide range of choices now,but basically two routes....

Firstly,what you might call off-the-shelf,from well known software companies such as Revo,APR,AMD etc,all of which can provide you with a solid,reliable product,with a wide dealer network,and plenty of backup.

Then you have the custom mappers,such as Unicorn,who can offer something more tailored to an individual's requirements,and maybe get a little more out of a particular car,at a particular hardware stage.

A simple remap(Stg1 if you like) will usually get you to around 310-320bhp,and similar levels of torque,with better driveability than stock.

Adding in the HPFP,CAI and downpipe should get the sort of figures you're after.

Personally,I think that custom mapping is the way to go now,if you have someone reliable nearby,as the range of features and the results can be better,and you've already selected R-Tech,based on prior experience.
Don't get too focussed on the last few bhp......mid-range driveability is much more important than 330 Vs 340bhp at peak rpm,and I would take a good bit of mid-range torque over higher bhp,and a peaky torque delivery anyday.

Reactions: outsideline, RAG and kash_v
I was mapped at R-tech and I'm at Stage 2+ at 355bhp @ 385ft/lbs but with BCS Powervalve but no rs4 valve.

Reactions: kash_v and S3Alex
You have a very wide range of choices now,but basically two routes....

Firstly,what you might call off-the-shelf,from well known software companies such as Revo,APR,AMD etc,all of which can provide you with a solid,reliable product,with a wide dealer network,and plenty of backup.

Then you have the custom mappers,such as Unicorn,who can offer something more tailored to an individual's requirements,and maybe get a little more out of a particular car,at a particular hardware stage.

A simple remap(Stg1 if you like) will usually get you to around 310-320bhp,and similar levels of torque,with better driveability than stock.

Adding in the HPFP,CAI and downpipe should get the sort of figures you're after.

Personally,I think that custom mapping is the way to go now,if you have someone reliable nearby,as the range of features and the results can be better,and you've already selected R-Tech,based on prior experience.
Don't get too focussed on the last few bhp......mid-range driveability is much more important than 330 Vs 340bhp at peak rpm,and I would take a good bit of mid-range torque over higher bhp,and a peaky torque delivery anyday.

I was mapped at R-tech and I'm at Stage 2+ at 355bhp @ 385ft/lbs but with BCS Powervalve but no rs4 valve.

Thanks guys!

Re off the shelf mapping, I am still looking into it purely out of interest. I have driven a stage 1 car with Revo, while it was good I felt the boost falling off over 4500rpm this could be down to several reasons I know.

I'll try stay clear of setting a personal 'bhp goal' as getting caught up on numbers is an expensive game :O.

Rusty, yours must shift. I will take a look at your journal soon :). I need to start saving for a clutch I guess too :(.

Kash

Thanks guys!

Re off the shelf mapping, I am still looking into it purely out of interest. I have driven a stage 1 car with Revo, while it was good I felt the boost falling off over 4500rpm this could be down to several reasons I know.

I'll try stay clear of setting a personal 'bhp goal' as getting caught up on numbers is an expensive game :O.

Rusty, yours must shift. I will take a look at your journal soon :). I need to start saving for a clutch I guess too :(.

Kash

I used Revo from Stg1 until Stg4 with a big turbo,and was very happy with the results.

The K04 when pushed will start to roll off torque as it gets above 4500-5000 rpm,and it may have been that which you felt,and if you look at the graphs that a lot of people print up,that once the peak torque is reached,it rolls off quite quickly.

It's the product of a relatively small turbo being pushed hard.

Reactions: kash_v
mines also stage 2 mapped bu rick @ unicorn.
ram air cai
3" milltek downpipe de cat
non resonated milltek cat back
GFB +
uprated clutch and pressure plate

311 bhp and 323ftlb torque. just saving for the hpfp now unless she sells.

Mines APR Stage 2+ mapped at AmD
Vwr Induction
Loba Hpfp
Runner Flap Delete
Milltek 3" non res decat
Gfb Dv+
Spec stage 3+ clutch
Made (Before clutch whilst slipping)
368 Bhp
389 lb-ft
Now a little more

A rolling road/dyno needs to be done with laboratory conditions,so after an upgrade it can be gauged and it will be as near as dammit.
Certain tweeks can be done by tuners in error ( or not ) to increase the figures.

R-Tech are getting great figures btw

mines also stage 2 mapped bu rick @ unicorn.
ram air cai
3" milltek downpipe de cat
non resonated milltek cat back
GFB +
uprated clutch and pressure plate

311 bhp and 323ftlb torque. just saving for the hpfp now unless she sells.

Seems low for a stage 2 car does it not mate?

I had mine mapped by Rick also and it made 336bhp 344ftlb

Bcs tbe and revo intake.

I used Revo from Stg1 until Stg4 with a big turbo,and was very happy with the results.

The K04 when pushed will start to roll off torque as it gets above 4500-5000 rpm,and it may have been that which you felt,and if you look at the graphs that a lot of people print up,that once the peak torque is reached,it rolls off quite quickly.

It's the product of a relatively small turbo being pushed hard.

Very true mate, did drive two stage 1 revo cars. One felt slightly stronger then the other, not much though.

Milltek downpipe with hi-flow sports cat
Milltek cat back
Loba hpfp
Revo CAI
GFB + Dv
Rs4 fuel return valve

Here's the link to my build thread http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/burgos3-finally-where-i-want-it.269165/

Your S3 is sweet, love the mods you have done.

A rolling road/dyno needs to be done with laboratory conditions,so after an upgrade it can be gauged and it will be as near as dammit.
Certain tweeks can be done by tuners in error ( or not ) to increase the figures.

R-Tech are getting great figures btw

Agree, I know Revo maps are excellent and alot of guys run them. However, for the price/knowledge/RR Rtech are pretty good.

Will also check Unicorn though before booking in with Rtech.

Thanks for all your replies guys!

Reactions: voorhees and S3Alex
the car as a whole wanted loads more is was breatheing really good ( air in - air out ) but fuel pump just wouldnt give us any more!! soon as i got on the main road clutch was slipping its nuts off so it must of been slipping on the dyno to???
The good thing is when i get the fueling sorted its going to make really good figures, specially now i have had the clutch all done. ( that was my hpfp money hahaha )