Stage 1 1.8 TFSI Spark Plugs

ICE1800A3

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am new to the forum, hello!

Just need some advice, I have my A3 stage 1 mapped and I am finding there is almost a miss fire under heavy boost and dynamic mode. No faults or engine management light on so I am thinking it's the spark plugs!

Any advice on what plugs I can get that will be able to cope with the increase in power?

Thanks!
L

I doubt very much that the power of the Stage 1 is the issue. "Almost" a misfire? If there were I'm sure it would be logged (assuming you've checked with VCDS?). It may just be a less than perfect map.

It's hesitant under full load. I haven't checked the VCDS but the car is going back to the tuning centre tomorrow to be plugged in. Feel absolutely fine when driving normally?

What bhp are you getting out the 1.8 after a remap and how is it after the remap as i find the 1.8 can be a bit sluggish sometimes

Between 220 hp and 230. Performs really wellhwell in the rev range and once it's up there it feels fast. Just need to sort this miss fire type issue. I am getting it plugged in again tomorrow to see if it's recorded any faults. I keep you posted.

Between 220 hp and 230. Performs really wellhwell in the rev range and once it's up there it feels fast. Just need to sort this miss fire type issue. I am getting it plugged in again tomorrow to see if it's recorded any faults. I keep you posted.
Possible issues with a coil pack?. Try re- fitting them with thermal paste.

sounds good ive been tempted to remap for a while but dont really want to pay out for new parts that could go faulty, are you still using the original clutch and the stock turbo aswell ? Thats the only thing putting me off remapping as a new clutch and turbo wont be cheap i would probs be aswell just getting a s3 instead of going the remap route for my 1.8

I doubt a stage 1 remap would require any new parts, certainly not a turbo, and almost certainly not a clutch. It might wear the clutch a bit more quickly.

I thought the is12 turbo on the 1.8 was only meant to be for up to certain bhp and ive seen on the 1.8 polo gti forums a lot of people having blown turbos after a remap, could just be down to luck i suppose

Nah stage 1 is pretty safe generally. Get a good place and they will tell you on a run if it can cope or not. Stage 2 your talking about downpipes and sport cats etc.

News from today is that there we a couple of faults that have been cleared. Runs better not perfect but going to give it a few days and go back to the tuner Wednesday to see if any faults comes back.

It not we may look at reducing the power a smidge on the map.

The map is brilliant for general driving it's just when you are asking for it to boot in a low great lower than 3k revs

Will let you know how it goes. Another random fault that has come up is with the, don't quote me on this but I think it was the anti freeze actuator? Any ideas what that is?

So we have an update - No further engine fault codes but we have 2 clutch codes
1. P177800 Clutch1, torque limit exceeded
2.P189A00 Clutch 1, Clearance is too small.

Not sure this would cause a still feels like a miss fire to me though but no codes are coming up in relation to that. I am going to change the plugs anyway but if anyone has any tips on how to resolve this above that would be great.

I’d suspect that 1) is because your map now means the expected torque is being exceeded, not that there’s necessarily a problem.

For 2), the Ross-Tech says this can cause “transmission judder pulling away or at constant speed” and the cure is to replace the clutch pack.

I m using Audi RS6/7 ngk spark plugs and gapped to 0.024", work fine on FBO JB4 tuned A3 1.8 tfsi sedan. My A3 dynoed 221whp & 320nm torque.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I m using Audi RS6/7 ngk spark plugs and gapped to 0.024", work fine on FBO JB4 tuned A3 1.8 tfsi sedan. My A3 dynoed 221whp & 320nm torque.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Are you still using the stock turbo and is it a manual ? Any problems after the remap ?