Stacey's Belated Yo Yo Build Thread

Was delivered via fed ex so maybe will get something in the future as not had experiance with them but usually with ups have to pay at the door and parcelforce you have to pay before they release it to be delivered, so fingers crossed wont get a nasty bill but will wait and see?

I've had Fedex and DHL deliver stuff from the states, and both of them sent bills afterwards.

As you say royal mail or parcelforce wont release it until paid.

There should have been a commercial invoice attached to the box from your supplier?

The value on this invoice will be used by customs to calculate Duty and VAT. VAT is charged at 20% and duty is usually around 3%, then the courier sometimes apply a handling charge on top.

I've had Fedex and DHL deliver stuff from the states, and both of them sent bills afterwards.

As you say royal mail or parcelforce wont release it until paid.

There should have been a commercial invoice attached to the box from your supplier?

The value on this invoice will be used by customs to calculate Duty and VAT. VAT is charged at 20% and duty is usually around 3%, then the courier sometimes apply a handling charge on top.

whats your continual facination with duty and tax?

are you a closet tax man in your job?

:p

God no!

Just letting him know how it works, as i too thaught the same thing "Woo, no charges" then a week or so later a bill arrived from DHL.

Well fingers crossed and only time will tell but like i said if theres charges i expect they will be very low as its a low value item of coarse ;)

Bill where did you get that high temp silicone sealant from? I know you did tell me but really cant remember lol :)

god you dont mess about do you Stace :faint:

Got to be better then how your car is at present!

Cheers mate but due to surcamstances i thought that if i don't do this now i wont ever get the chance ;)

It should certinally be an improvement but don't think will be able to unleash its full potential due to other things possibly holding back (exhaust mani) although i'm thinking about porting it to match the turbo housing to make it flow a bit better as theres plenty of material there??

44f2a4d3.jpg

42f19045.jpg

Well little update gizzmo is electricly installed with the WMi fault ground to activate a relay to drop out the supply to the ebc so will run actuator pressure and have also put it on the same toggle switch for the wmi as noticed the wmi controller stays open circuit if it gets turned off so if anyone knocked the on/off switch on the wmi car would still be running at full boost which i though was a bit risky?

744f6326.jpg

3122efb2.jpg

c1289b67.jpg

And had to cut and resplice the solenoid feed as had no chance of getting the connector throught the gland to the engine bay
82bf83c0.jpg

And cheers tuffty as was spot on about the cubby hole removal ;)

Glad to see you went for the gizzmo, and I love the mounting place! Close cubby hole and it's all vanished!

That's the older MS-IBC isn't it? Like mine?

I didn't want the newer one, it's ****** gold!

Cheers matey:beerchug:

Its been tested in theory but solenoid isn't plummed in yet as not got round to it yet and its not overly needed yet as not tuned for WMi yet
To test it was quite obvious as you can just see the boost controller turn off, i did try unplugging the pump and level sensor to create 2 different faults and the pump open circuit dropped it out instantly but the low level warning takes about 2 seconds before the controller reconises it as a fault but still does the desired job ;)

The solenoid is open like the n75 when not powered up so in theory everthing should work once plummed in :)

Glad to see you went for the gizzmo, and I love the mounting place! Close cubby hole and it's all vanished!

That's the older MS-IBC isn't it? Like mine?

I didn't want the newer one, it's ****** gold!

I did go fot the MS-IBC but theres 3 different models IBC, MS IBC and MS-2 didn't really like the gold one but one of them can't remember which didn't have a function i liked and can't remember difference between the others but was swayed towards this thanks to you prawn as hadn't heard of gizzmo
The plus side is it can have 6 settings where as most had 2 and the scramble function will be very handy as bill will map the car to its maximum and will run it around 70-80% of its full power/boost level but will have the extra on a touch of a button like yourself
It will also mean the misses can drive it at a reasonable power as it scares her occasionly at the mo when boost comes on so would be lethal once future plans are rolled out, plus the old man has eventually caved to do some track days with me so can gradually increase the boost levels as he gets used to and more confident in the car

Bit mixed opinions with my turbo upgrade whether to take my head off whilst doing so as i would like to port my manifold flange to better match the turbo housing and have some arp head bolts to install but am worried with all the previous issues i had with the gasket not sealing and having an oil leak as block isn't 100% flat

Heres a link to some of the previous details
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/133324-nightmare-headgasket.html

But long story short only got it to stop leaking by using a sealant on the third attempt as had tried previously with 2 headgaskets and sets of bolts with it leaking as soon as it was started up
In an ideal world i would remove the block and get it decked but thats a hole lot of work and more importantly a hole lot of £££ in consumables?

Hopefully will be starting next week as got one final week off of work and plan to get it all done and running during this process providing nothing else comes up as already had my time diverted as misses car failed the mot with 2 broken springs (one front one rear) so lowering springs are arriving tommorrow so whipped her suspension off ready for new stuff to be fitted, she didn't want lowering springs but as was considerably cheaper and it will be outed for family wagon shortly thought what the hell

Ive either got better at this car milarky or the ka is so much easier than my S3 was 2 years ago ;)
I know its not vag but heres a couple of pics anyway
b732b8f1.jpg

306f3137.jpg

Oh and another thing i forgot to ask is what are the + and - of going gasketless turbo to mani as have heard it mentioned many of times before but not to sure why its done?

Because one of the problems ive got is as i will be porting the manifold to match the housing the gasket will needed to be modified and have ordered one from demon tweeks because the oem one is multilayered steel sheet gasket and thought this would be harder to modify?

I presume you would do it to eliminate the risk of the gasket blowing but unless the 2 faces are completely true would expect it would blow without one?

Last edited:
Bit of an update although not overly good :(

Well was at AMD yesterday and had a good day and was good to see prawn again but the car has lost some ponies, i know dyno lottery applies but that usually goes in favour with amd being higher than the average so that worsens my case further, well heres the dyno plot

b4706392.jpg

It did sound a bit different when it came off of the dyno?? For me to find out that half a mile or so down the road the exhaust has started blowing but is mainly when turning right corners (roundabouts) so suspect the poxy downpipe has come loose again but won't be able to have a decent look at it until tommorrow or wednesday as the other half has commondered my car till hers is re-mot'd

Whether or not this had an effect on power loss is questionable but the only other thing that crossed my mind is maybe the meth could have brought power down slightly as am running the medium nozzle and never got it checked on the dyno previously, in hindsight i should have got them to do one run with meth on and one with it turned off

The only other worry in the back of my head is that i had a lot of water go through my engine when was having issues with the meth and it runs in the egt protection zone a lot, and after seeing tufftys smallends and broken ring am paranoid but its probably just me worrying to much over it.....i hope

Any how like i said had a lovely day and there was some lovely cars there and especially some very special looking seat leons :undwech:

....and after seeing tufftys smallends and broken ring....

ooooer...!! :)

Bad news mate... have you logged airflow etc to see if there is any change?... considering you have a known issue with the warped block I am wondering if its worth getting it decked so you at least know its not an issue any more?

Feel your pain mate...

<tuffty/>

Good to see you again yesterday matey, sorry the results didn't go quite as you had hoped for!

it did sound brilliant though!

Cheersfor the comments guys is much appriciated :)

i know the block idealy has got to be decked but not sure if my bank and relationship can face another engine rebuild :(

Am really unsure what to do but thnk that when i get the car for some time in the next day or to will try a compression test and have a look over that downpipe asthat needs sorting and hopefully comp test will hopefully give me an idea if everything is all ok internally or not?

Any other things that would reconmend checking?

Tuffty will check airflow etc when get the car back in my possession but it hasn't felt as quick for a little while and airflow hasn't changed that i have noticed but just thought it was just me getting used to the car ?

My WMI kit was killing power with the medium nozzle for the limited amount of time it worked on Bill's rollers. I know I have a smaller blower but it didn't require the medium nozzle at 21psi.

I feel your pain mate as this is becoming a real nightmare.

Cheers as always guys for the comments help and support :friends:

Have got the car back now as have got hers mot'd and road worthy for her, anyhows checked airflow on the way home and saw a peak of 264gs on the liquid where as all i remember usually getting was 266gs so that seems ok, 264/0.8=330

Tried it with the wmi off and didn't feel a lot of difference to be truthfully honest but sometimes it does feel like it really makes a difference (good) then other times does feel like its maybe holding it back, definately think i'm going to try the smaller nozzle but adjust the settings slightly as had set both values reasonably high to try and bring the amount down slightly to somewhere between the 2

Once things have cooled off a bit will have a look over the downpipe and will hopefully in the meanwhile do a comp test

Well the downpipe blow is very evident where its coming from but suppose its not that bad and only appears when you turn due to the wastegate pipe holding it in place as this is still all tight

d11b2d0c.jpg

I noticed the one of the bottom nuts missing a week or 2 ago but was hoping it would hold out until the turbo change as it really inaccessable and the easiest way to do them up properly is to take the turbo off at the v band so may do that this afternoon and trial fit the gtx ;)
The nuts will also be replaced with the oem lock nuts as the only time they haven't seemed to come undone is when bill done them up or wen these locknuts where on

5791722a.jpg

Any ways am a bit at rest now as the comp test turned out cylinder 1-4 190, 200, 200, 202 so think thats acceptable with low comp pistons?

Changed the wmi nozzle to the smaller one which will hopefully bring the meth consumption down as was going through more than a gallon of water meth to a tank of juice :)

I did find that the turbo to charge pipe wasn't far from coming off it was right on the lip of the turbo so reseated it and tightened it a bit tighter but can't really win as had this issue before and ended up cutting through the pipe by overtightening it

Last but not least i changed the dv spring as found it didn't seem to always be opening quick enough giving you a pop noise but was a bit alarmed when found it full of fillings which the bore and piston surfaces have got no marks so can only imagine that when tightening the top the sping has guaged a bit of this off of the surfaces that it mates to????

6465fd76.jpg

1e3d8a05.jpg

maybe meth eating aluminium on dv? cold side? I dont recall?

why is your downpipe got normal nuts, spring washers now?
it had nords on it before?

Haywards had it back for rectification but when I supplied them with the correct nuts studs and gaskets originally they didn't use them as you later found out, am getting extremely fukked of with that ****** down pipe!

Got me worried about the meth but the o rings looked fine and the other side of the dv looked alright, hopefully meth isn't causing that much damage as most of the pipe work is ally? ;)

Oh and forgot to add yes is coldside

Last edited:
Haywards had it back for rectification but when I supplied them with the correct nuts studs and gaskets originally they didn't use them as you later found out, am getting extremely fukked of with that ****** down pipe!

Got me worried about the meth but the o rings looked fine and the other side of the dv looked alright, hopefully meth isn't causing that much damage as most of the pipe work is ally? ;)

Was there much residue from the Water Meth in the hoses? Did you check them over when swapping nozzles?

Didn't look i'm affraid mate as its all one piece like tuffty's and where it is i can manage to pop out the fog grill and drive the car onto a brick and that gives me enough room to change it by reaching up behind and through the bumper, its a bit awkward but easier than getting the pipe out :)

Didn't look i'm affraid mate as its all one piece like tuffty's and where it is i can manage to pop out the fog grill and drive the car onto a brick and that gives me enough room to change it by reaching up behind and through the bumper, its a bit awkward but easier than getting the pipe out :)

If you pop the silicone hose off at the TB do you get any meth droplets there?

Just for you westicles ;)

The car had been driven 10-15 mins before this pic, you can see damp areas but not many droplets

49829eb4.jpg

bcbb7630.jpg

This is of coarse now on the smaller nozzle so i hate to think how much was in there on the medium nozzle??

Cheers Stace. Mine is normally worse then that and I'm currently only running on half pump from the small nozzle. Meth eating TBs is my main worry. It would be nice to know how bad it was with the medium nozzle :faint:

Yeah was thinking the same thing after you asked for a pic as really don't want it to destroy my r32 tb once i get that fitted as it will start getting costly :(

Didn't welly have one go?

Ouch i hope he's just been unlucky and its not the future case for us and himself that TB become a near consumable item other wise i might reconsider wmi or just stick to the smaller nozzle when get the garrett on :(

I think he's gone through 2! I know his in non progressive so might be a bit more liberal on the water\meth.

Second time was the plug coming off the TB IIRC.... he has only nuked one TB so far...

<tuffty/>