Squeeling when in motion

SCFC_Messiah

Reaction score
Hi guys

This evening my car started making a very loud squealing noise when in motion, usually only at lower speeds; touching the brake usually stops it. It's coming from the front of the car

I think the drivers side front brake pad is sticking partially engaged. There was also a slight burning smell coming from the wheel area - kinda like clutch, but not clutch (presumably the brake pad?). Looks to be plenty of life left on the pads though, so they aren't worn down

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James

Ive had a stone caught between the disk and the cover behind the disk before. Makes an awful racket but dislodges itself eventually

Drive the car and then pull over and feel each wheel. If a brake is sticking to the point where it is creating a smell then ones of the wheels will normally be noticeably hotter than the other side.

I had the stone in the brake shield before aswell, gave the shields a pull and push and it dropped out.

As above really. When my rear caliper stuck on, just being near the wheel you could feel the heat coming off it.

It may stop when you touch the brake as the piston may move just enough to ease off. Inspection is required to diagnose it properly!

Try reversing at speed. This sometimes dislodges a stone chipping

Thanks for your comments. Fiddled about with the brake shield and nothing dropped out. Tried reversing at speed too.

Took the car to work this morning and there was no noise, so went on a 15 mile run after work (motorway and city) to get the brakes up to temperature as I figured it may be temperature related. Still not getting any noise, but when holding my hand close to the disc the drivers side definitely appears to be giving off more heat than the passengers side and there is still a very very slight smell off burning when getting up close to it

I guess I'll need to get it looked at?.... What's worst case scenario; new calipers?

Perhaps callipers / piston need cleaning and lubed.

Mine needed a new caliper on the rear. I guess it depends what state it/they are in, there are some rebuild kits around on ebay I believe, which come with new o rings/dust seals and pistons, which may be a cheaper option.