Squealing brakes?

Smickers

Reaction score
I’ve got just over 8k on the clock and when I brake, just as I come to a complete stop, my brakes squeal like a banshee!

Any ideas what would cause this, and would it be covered under warranty?

Shims behind the brake pads possibly missing their graphite grease. Dealer should be able to rectify...

New OE brakes should be silent - I would guess at some sort of contamination e.g. grit. I would refer it to the dealer on a new car like yours.

if it's only just started squeeling then it's probably a stone caught in the disc guard.

I've had dealer replace pads for free before due to squeak, then new set began to squeal too. Ultimately went with ceramics to resolve the issue.

I'm circa 16-17k now and have had a squeak for about 750 miles, just not had a chance to take it in yet! Hopefully something will be covered under the warranty- will report back once I finally get it to the dealers.

I wonder if heavy and excessive braking can lead to the pads becoming glazed?

Which brand 'ceramics'? Product code? Front/rears?
For a B9 S4, or?
Any info. would be appreciated.

I have a friend with a B7 RS4 that had the same issue. Pads were shot and disc were juddering and showing signs of warping after a couple thousand miles of not excessive use. Audi replaced the discs and pads a handful of times before they realised it would be cheaper to install the entire front ceramic brake setup and he's had no issues since. I think that it's on 50k miles and the discs are still going strong!

After them finding nothing wrong with the temperature gauge and brakes a month ago, I drove off only to find them still faulty on the way home. Had to wait a month to get another appt. Left in this morning and they've now carried out a software update, and cleaned the brakes to find them still squeaking on the road test.

They suspect faulty pads/discs and I'm waiting for a decision to see if they'll replace this under warranty.

This is quite alarming.

Many of us RS3 owners have been plagued with low speed brake squeal and warped discs.

I thought the issue was relating to the RS3 only - but seeing this post suggests not !

I think the root cause of the squeal is the pad material used (OEM AUDI) and that may be the case here with your cars.

Many owners have replaced OEM pads / discs with other brands, having got that fed up with repeat issues.

One quick way you may be able to check if it the pads.

Have you looked at your discs to see if there is a lot of pad residue on them.

If so, pressure wash the discs when cold & see if loads of debris comes off.

Then take the car for a drive and see if the squeal has gone.

I have to clean my discs on a weekly basis because of the re-occurring squeal.

Audi have fitted dampers but this only masks it for so long.

Longer than a week without washing and the squeal returns.

They replaced both the discs and pads under warranty and have carried out a software update to stop the spurious temperature readings. They've also carried out a shoddy vac and wash and I've found this damage, that I certainly didn't cause :(

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 231
They replaced both the discs and pads under warranty and have carried out a software update to stop the spurious temperature readings. They've also carried out a shoddy vac and wash and I've found this damage, that I certainly didn't cause :(

Ouch, that's quite the scratch! :dizzy:

Another victim to the poor valeting Audi seem to have these days. Take back and kick off...

Jeeeeeeesus why do they think you'll accept the car back with damage like that ?

Shocking quality control isn't it.

Another victim to the poor valeting Audi seem to have these days. Take back and kick off...
They asked if I wanted a wash and vac. Didn't realise they do it with a scouring pad!