Squeaking engine. Any ideas?

rockape

Per ardua
Reaction score
Hi. Had my 2.0T for 2 weeks now and on start up It's started making a rotational squeaking sound. Once it's warmed up it's gone. At first I thought it was the alternator belt and applied some belt dressing which did nothing and I now think it's coming from further back. Found this youtube vid of Leon Cupra with the same problem:

YouTube - Seat Leon Cupra - Squeaky Idle

Anyone got any ideas?

Andy

Hi

Just had my 2008 s3 into the dealers with exactly the same problem squeaks when cold but gone when warm, at first they thought it was the belt so lubes it up. However this didnt stop it another dealer mechanic stripped it down and it appeared to be that the seals on the water pump were worn causing it to squeak. As a result the cam belt was also done as it's all on the same belt

Hope this is of some help

Ps my s3 has just covered 25k

Mike:racer:

my 1.6 fsi squeaks like that on idle its bugging me i thought it was the belt too but same thing sprayed something on it and it didnt make a difference do you recon it could be my water pump leaking too as she uses a little bit of water ?

Hi

Just had my 2008 s3 into the dealers with exactly the same problem squeaks when cold but gone when warm, at first they thought it was the belt so lubes it up. However this didnt stop it another dealer mechanic stripped it down and it appeared to be that the seals on the water pump were worn causing it to squeak. As a result the cam belt was also done as it's all on the same belt

Hope this is of some help

Ps my s3 has just covered 25k

Mike:racer:

I'm not mechanically minded but after doing some research I was beginning to think that it was something to do with the water pump. I did mention this to the mechanic and he looked at me as if to say "wtf do you know?" It's booked into the dealer in a couple of weeks so I'll give them the heads up but no doubt they will dismiss me again! Mine has done 26k so very similiar. I just hope this is covered by the warranty.

Thanks for the info mate.

Squeaking noise is always with water pump i have had many experiences with Squeaking noise it started on my friend car and after his water pump failed and then it started on my brother and again after few weeks the waterpump failed so is more likely to be waterpump

would you say its the problem ive got too as she is losing a little water but not enough to get really worryed about and i too have the annoying squeaking

losing water can be a pipe or something but from the sound its the waterpump belt that does that before failing in most scenarios i have heard

its not losing alot of water just enough to notice it is lol , yeah i'll have a look into the waterpump

Quick update for those that are interested. After being at the dealers for 3 days(wtf!!), surprise surprise they think its the belt pulleys and are going to change them along with the timing belt. Apparently they've been using a stethoscope to find out where the squeaking was coming from....I didn't know you had to go to med school to be a mechanic lol.