sqeaky steering wheel

maxlbrown

Deep Blue
Reaction score
Help im going mad

The problem Love my A6 however it has developed an annoying squeak when i turn the steering wheel it appears to be a metal/rubber squeak so i suspect a dry seal some where near the top of the steering column I have had the top cover off and tried grease,wd40,and oil on the steering column (on what i can get to). this appears to have no affect i have lubed the column and joints i can get to. Am igoing to have strip the column.

any one else had this problem.

Max

Mine has the same problem, I am living with it at the moment but advise from anyone on how to fix would be grand!

Spray wd40 or thicker oil directly behind the wheel between wheel and cowel. this has seemed to do the trick.

Hope this helps else its sterring wheel off.

I changed my bottom suspension arms to day As they were squeaking like a Silver Cross pram,especially when you turned the s/wheel, it turned out to be one of the balljoints had seized solid & was squeaking when it was being forced around by the steering!

All quiet now & no more stares of amazemebt from pedestrians at what sounded like a turkeybeing scalded !!
Anyone want to buy some nd hand ear plugs ???:kiss:

hey, ive been watching this thread for a while now and i think i have a similar problem? YOYO: when you say it was the ball joints, what car to you have? ive got a 2001 2.7 biTurbo avant with sport pack and think its the same problem. when turning at low speeds there is resistance thro the steering wheel and makes a squeek/grind type noise? def not steering wheel more below, poss steering rack/joints.

any help would be most appreciated!

UPdate

The squeak returned as expected with wd40 so i got some spray grease. Look behind the sterring wheel there is a plastic disk type thing (dust cover) I sprayed a liberal amount of grease in there and hey presto all quiet now. My problem was nothing to do with Ball joints.

Hope this helps some one.

Hey Max, Happy New Year! Mine has just started to squeek at the top of the steering wheel. Looks like its the same as yours. Will have to get some spray grease as WD40 doesnt do anything.
Speak soon.

As Max mentioned above, I used a little spray grease in between the dark plastic disc right behind the steering wheel and hey presto...the squeek has gone.

it may be the air bag slip ring you guys are lubing, cheap to replace for a lasting repair!