Q7 SQ7 discs and pads

DannyBox

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a 2018 SQ7 from an Audi dealer, the car has around 44k on the clock and the discs have quite a lip on them. Under breaking the break pedal judders slightly. I'm guessing these will be connected but its getting checked out. Just wondering if any other SQ7 owners could share at what milage their discs and pads were due for replacement. If anyone knows what the expected milage is for a set of discs and pads on an SQ7 (4.0 tdi). Lastly if anyone could share the cost incurred to replace all discs and pads on an SQ7 it would be appreciated.
Thanks

As part of the sale can you not negotiate that the discs and pads are changed at cost to the Audi dealer prior to purchase? Which discs have quite a lip? Fronts I'm assuming? If its juddering then I'm surprised the car has passed Audi's AUC checks?

I wouldn't have thought swapping discs and pads on a SQ7 will be a cheap exercise I'd get Audi to swap them before you buy or if you really want the car then negotiate the costs of swapping discs and pads off the price of the car.

Thanks @Kam05
They have agreed to change the fronts for £500 as I believe this is where the judder is coming from, they tell me they wouldn’t change any discs or pads unless they were 70% worn or more. They gave me a price originally of £1200 for just the fronts. I rang around a few garages and for both front and back they wanted over £2k. I was told just the front discs alone were £372 + vat each! Definitely something I need to get done.

Cheeky blighters, customers for big diesels with high running costs like an SQ7 are like rocking horse droppings in the 1st place, don't get mugged by the dealer. It must have had its 1st MOT, there is a wear limit on discs - one our RS models its 1mm off each face, so if you have a visible lip then the discs are probably already unserviceable and would be an MOT fail already.

Yeah they are telling me the breaks are fine and it passed it’s MOT in Feb having only covered another 5k miles. The wear is only 60% on the front and 50% on the back so pass any MOT or Audi check, however if it was 70% or more then they would advise they get replaced. I think the RS models are a little different as most of these have rotors, even so if your right then 1mm off each face would be 100% worn in this case.

Given the current market there seem to be more customers than cars - its why prices are going up. So like all dealers they will do what they have to do to get the sale and no more.

Its an £80k car, it will have £80k car running costs. The discs and pads will be one of many fairly sizeable bills if you keep it long, good to get them to do what you can before sale but it wont make that much difference long term.....

A great car though and despite the gloom on diesel, the best sports and performance SUV out there - if you need the size and space.

I agree, I’m buying at a time when these cars are at a premium, but then I am getting good money for the car I’m replacing. I do need 7 seats now and I also have a fast car itch I need to scratch. The SQ7 ticks loads of boxes for me, I don’t mind paying the running costs suppose I just need to get out of them what I can.

I agree, I’m buying at a time when these cars are at a premium, but then I am getting good money for the car I’m replacing. I do need 7 seats now and I also have a fast car itch I need to scratch. The SQ7 ticks loads of boxes for me, I don’t mind paying the running costs suppose I just need to get out of them what I can.
My guess is that if its a choice between a sale and not and you offer up replace the rear discs too and we have a deal, you will find out how much margin they have in the car....

My son in law works for a well known dealer group (corporate not dealer level) and when I asked him for a deal for a colleague his short answer was "no chance at the moment, we can sell more than we can buy!".... and that seems to apply to new and used and across brands....

if the deal is good I wouldnt walk away over the rear brakes, I'd ask them to replace them at cost before collection....

I have found that, most cars I’ve called about have sold. Thanks, I will definitely try for a bit more

I have found that, most cars I’ve called about have sold. Thanks, I will definitely try for a bit more

I can do you a c rap deal on a 7 month old RS4 (everything is for sale if the price is right ;))

I can do you a c rap deal on a 7 month old RS4 (everything is for sale if the price is right ;))
I cant think of much better if you NEED 7 seats, except maybe an RS4 and a run around for the Mrs to provide the other 3 seats.... ;)

Reactions: DannyBox
Yeah they are telling me the breaks are fine and it passed it’s MOT in Feb having only covered another 5k miles. The wear is only 60% on the front and 50% on the back so pass any MOT or Audi check, however if it was 70% or more then they would advise they get replaced. I think the RS models are a little different as most of these have rotors, even so if your right then 1mm off each face would be 100% worn in this case.

I feel your pain and arrived in a similar situation earlier this year with my SQ5 and rather than OEM went MTEC (380mm dia front discs and 330mm dia rears) and Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads - all for less than £400 delivered - and I then sold the original OEM SQ5 discs and pads that almost covered my £s costs

See: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...ounting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/page-6 post #219 and on

PS: brakes are brilliant and way better - for my use - than OEM
Smileys Says Shhh Smiley

I feel your pain and arrived in a similar situation earlier this year with my SQ5 and rather than OEM went MTEC (380mm dia front discs and 330mm dia rears) and Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads - all for less than £400 delivered - and I then sold the original OEM SQ5 discs and pads that almost covered my £s costs

See: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...ounting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/page-6 post #219 and on

PS: brakes are brilliant and way better - for my use - than OEM
Smileys Says Shhh Smiley
Good thinking! I like it!

Reactions: 45bvtc