SQ5 SQ5 white vs. SQ5 Sportback ultra blue

Strachan87

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As the title suggests, I'm trading my S3 sportback in for an SQ5. I've currently got the option of 2 Vorsprung's SQ5s, an Estate/normal in white on the 21" v-spoke offset or a Sportback in ultra blue on the 21" 5-twin-spoke V.

First world problem if there ever was. one...
Cost wise, PCP has 30 quid in it, with the SPBK being more.
I prefer the ultra blue but like the standard vorsprung alloys.
Estate comes with running boards white are handy but SPBK is perhaps nicer shape.

Really isn't much in it but I thought rather than floating around as a guest I'd consult the internet and Audisport.

Have never bought a car on colour, tend to change my mind which I prefer lots of times during ownership....

I find sportbacks and coupe SUVs in general a bit of an oddity, lets buy a big high car and then make it less practical. Given I have a dog I always want the squared off back though....

My RS4 is white but its a carbon black edition so I think the contrast works. Not sure it works as well with silver window surrounds etc....

Probably doesnt help at all!

Have never bought a car on colour, tend to change my mind which I prefer lots of times during ownership....

I find sportbacks and coupe SUVs in general a bit of an oddity, lets buy a big high car and then make it less practical. Given I have a dog I always want the squared off back though....

My RS4 is white but its a carbon black edition so I think the contrast works. Not sure it works as well with silver window surrounds etc....

Probably doesnt help at all!
I agree with alot of what you're saying.

The love of the colour varying over time. My tango red S3 definitely is beautiful on a bright sunny day after cleaning and I think the ultra blue would be just like that. Looks like it's Golf R / Focus RS blue and it suited the chrome.

And I agree on the contrast, I'd seen a black carbon edition in the dealers and it is nice but where you get the whole blacked out look, you lose the contrast.

I have to say until I'd seen it I had no interest in the sportbacks but it seems to be well proportioned on the Q5, not so much on the Q3 in my opinion. Missus thinks its easier to see out of the normal SQ5 which I'd agree. Either way I'll get the post purchase fear but at least the massage seats can help :D

What kind of dog do you have? This purchase is being driven by ours - working cocker. His crate takes up 4/5's of the S3's boot but I know can fit side ways into either Q5.

I've just got rid of my SQ5 (normal not SB)
We got a beast of a german shep easily in the boot although this was without the use of a crate.

If the sportback is anything like the A7, I really struggled with the A7 boot. Getting anything closer to the opening was a no no if it had any sort of height where as I could see it easily fitting in a more boxy style opening/boot.

I will say I always purchased based on colour however my most recent purchase meant I could no longer have the Daytona Grey I so longed for and got with my SQ5... I could not even find the spec I wanted in black and so went with Typhoon Grey.
Why?
Well I've gone beyond the mandatory requirement of driving around and making sure it turned heats ... ok in all seriousness, I spend my time INSIDE the car and not out so if its a slight compromise, I don't mind it and actually despite the grey not being the shade I wanted, a number of people have mentioned how it contrasts the rest of the car so you might be ok with whatever decision you make.

Reactions: Strachan87
I agree with alot of what you're saying.

The love of the colour varying over time. My tango red S3 definitely is beautiful on a bright sunny day after cleaning and I think the ultra blue would be just like that. Looks like it's Golf R / Focus RS blue and it suited the chrome.

And I agree on the contrast, I'd seen a black carbon edition in the dealers and it is nice but where you get the whole blacked out look, you lose the contrast.

I have to say until I'd seen it I had no interest in the sportbacks but it seems to be well proportioned on the Q5, not so much on the Q3 in my opinion. Missus thinks its easier to see out of the normal SQ5 which I'd agree. Either way I'll get the post purchase fear but at least the massage seats can help :D

What kind of dog do you have? This purchase is being driven by ours - working cocker. His crate takes up 4/5's of the S3's boot but I know can fit side ways into either Q5.
I do love the Lapiz blue on the Golf's, and the Ford blue. Dont like them too dark or too light though, and Turbo blue was just too much for me on the RS. My previous (petrol) SQ5 was a metallic red, really liked that colour when I got it, mainly as it wasnt grey or silver which seemed to be every car around at the time!

My dog is a working cocker, but she is 9 and a bit on the portly side due to insufficient working these days! I have her in the boot in a transk9 crate, crash tested and safe as much of the time she is with me I am on the M1.... takes up more than half of the boot but I manage! I'd try the crate in the sportback as the sloping boot really compromises ability to carry a fairly squared off crate....

My M5 was Singapore grey which was very dark. Helped try and keep it under the radar. Except for the noise. That wasnt very do friendly though....

Reactions: NevMan
Ah nice - I wouldn't trust our cocker outside of his crate. He's like a drug search dog with less control :tearsofjoy:

It's a good point regards the practicality, I've been thinking about this 2ft high crate which near fits under the load cover so not effected but anything more square would be impacted by the slope.

Aye tbh it sounds like ultra blue is the go to colour for the Q5 facelift, initially it was "you'd have only 1 of 2 in Aberdeen... to knowing of 4 in a week".

Something I've only realised now is that the normal vorsprung doesn't have the collapsible spare as an option (on the audi configurator) but the SPBK does. Surely this will still fit in?

I do love the Lapiz blue on the Golf's, and the Ford blue. Dont like them too dark or too light though, and Turbo blue was just too much for me on the RS. My previous (petrol) SQ5 was a metallic red, really liked that colour when I got it, mainly as it wasnt grey or silver which seemed to be every car around at the time!

My dog is a working cocker, but she is 9 and a bit on the portly side due to insufficient working these days! I have her in the boot in a transk9 crate, crash tested and safe as much of the time she is with me I am on the M1.... takes up more than half of the boot but I manage! I'd try the crate in the sportback as the sloping boot really compromises ability to carry a fairly squared off crate....

My M5 was Singapore grey which was very dark. Helped try and keep it under the radar. Except for the noise. That wasnt very do friendly though....
Ah bless.. they are such lovely dogs I have to say. Not a mean bone in his body, Finn is only 5 months and he is very willing to help the environment - picking up and trying to eat all sorts of plastic or anything else people drop...

My original choice was in fact daytona and an S4 avant under the idea of "blending in". Can't say the red S3 has been terrible but there have been a few providing an unwanted prostate examination.

Reactions: isleaiw
Ah bless.. they are such lovely dogs I have to say. Not a mean bone in his body, Finn is only 5 months and he is very willing to help the environment - picking up and trying to eat all sorts of plastic or anything else people drop...

My original choice was in fact daytona and an S4 avant under the idea of "blending in". Can't say the red S3 has been terrible but there have been a few providing an unwanted prostate examination.
Indeed, will definitely be looking for another same breed when the time comes...

I had a daytona A6, loved the colour but been there and done that.

S4 v SQ5.... I could give a view on that having had one of each shape, even if they are slightly different versions. For me I prefer the estate but that is no doubt personal...

PS also had the people wanting to get close and egg me on.... I normally get out of their way somehow. Funnily enough nobody tried it with the M5....except the odd Corsa!

PS

Reactions: NevMan and Strachan87
I'd go for the normal SQ5 (estate). Not a fan of the SportBack tbh.

Reactions: Strachan87
Seems the general consensus is for the normal/estate SQ5... or an RS4 :tearsofjoy:

Unfortunately my negotiations on the normal SQ5 fell down during the final round of pushing the price down from where the price actually went up... apparently - and this could be sales BS - the deal was in fact initially based on the assumption I was an "Audi finance renewal" so when it turned out I was with BMW finance an extra 2k disappeared pushing the price up.

The SPBK.. (different dealer) well I was told for the offer I wouldn't be getting the rubber mats / liner "you'd have to buy them yourself. You know you're getting a good deal if a car dealer is willing to walk away over mats"... TBH this is enough to make me walk away. I use to accept this but It's a £70k car and you won't throw in something that costs me £200 quid but you'll have lying around...

Back to the drawing board somewhat. Not helped by the fact the BMW website was offering 2.9% on X3M's , though I'd expect the X3 M40d is more comparable - but both are a bit of an ugo

Seems the general consensus is for the normal/estate SQ5... or an RS4 :tearsofjoy:

Unfortunately my negotiations on the normal SQ5 fell down during the final round of pushing the price down from where the price actually went up... apparently - and this could be sales BS - the deal was in fact initially based on the assumption I was an "Audi finance renewal" so when it turned out I was with BMW finance an extra 2k disappeared pushing the price up.

The SPBK.. (different dealer) well I was told for the offer I wouldn't be getting the rubber mats / liner "you'd have to buy them yourself. You know you're getting a good deal if a car dealer is willing to walk away over mats"... TBH this is enough to make me walk away. I use to accept this but It's a £70k car and you won't throw in something that costs me £200 quid but you'll have lying around...

Back to the drawing board somewhat. Not helped by the fact the BMW website was offering 2.9% on X3M's , though I'd expect the X3 M40d is more comparable - but both are a bit of an ugo
I dont have a problem with mats, I like my dealer to have a fighting chance of still being around when I need service and aftersales, so for example I will buy local for a couple of hundred quid more than DtD or equivalent. But then my brother did work in the trade for 30 years....

There is a new X3 LCI due out so stock cars will be cheaper as they try to get rid. The X3 M40d / i are more comparable - and maybe more useful in real life. Pre LCI X3M is criticised for low speed ride (and high speed ride to be honest) but no idea if that is changed on the LCI, also criticised for lack of torque and apparently the new one has more (37 lb/ft apparently).

Sytner are advertising new RS4 for £7300 down and £900 a month... bargain!

Are you sure you dont want a nice white estate? 3rd time it has been cleaned since I had it 8 months ago....

Attachments

• 20210623_130738.jpg
    20210623_130738.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 103
Are you sure you dont want a nice white estate? 3rd time it has been cleaned since I had it 8 months ago....

White or silver is DEFINITELY my next car. Too many black cars in a row

White or silver is DEFINITELY my next car. Too many black cars in a row
My first white car since my very first car......

The deal would have to be VERY special to make me take a black car....

My first white car since my very first car......

The deal would have to be VERY special to make me take a black car....
Me too...had a Ford Orion 1.6GL in Black in the early 1980s as a company demo (worked in a Ford dealer)...never again, scarred for life.

There is much evidence that the dealers are struggling for new inventory and now realise they can sell cars nearer to list price with discounting/freebies that erode profit margin being significantly reduced. The lack of new car sales is driving the prices of used cars up, quite markedly. Got mine valued on WBAC (who are notoriously mean on the prices) this week and it's only £2500 less than I paid for it in October 2020 - that's nuts, measly depreciation.

I dont have a problem with mats, I like my dealer to have a fighting chance of still being around when I need service and aftersales, so for example I will buy local for a couple of hundred quid more than DtD or equivalent. But then my brother did work in the trade for 30 years....

There is a new X3 LCI due out so stock cars will be cheaper as they try to get rid. The X3 M40d / i are more comparable - and maybe more useful in real life. Pre LCI X3M is criticised for low speed ride (and high speed ride to be honest) but no idea if that is changed on the LCI, also criticised for lack of torque and apparently the new one has more (37 lb/ft apparently).

Sytner are advertising new RS4 for £7300 down and £900 a month... bargain!
Originally I had started out "local" and I'm a great believer in that. Also working out the "*****-ness factor" if the additional time from myself (say driving from one end of the country to the other) is worth the money or not. Same thing normally comes in on a Friday night when deciding what is for dinner..

I had heard RE the X3M and was not quite a believer until I seen Joe Achilles getting batter about on what looked like a good road :tearsofjoy:

I seen that... I've been told combined car expenses must not exceed the mortgage LOL

There is much evidence that the dealers are struggling for new inventory and now realise they can sell cars nearer to list price with discounting/freebies that erode profit margin being significantly reduced. The lack of new car sales is driving the prices of used cars up, quite markedly. Got mine valued on WBAC (who are notoriously mean on the prices) this week and it's only £2500 less than I paid for it in October 2020 - that's nuts, measly depreciation.
Hadn't fired into WBAC - I had based this on the CarWow valuation which was giving 17.5K for the S3 a month ago, and first dealer offered 19.5k so I thought great. Had variations from dealers between 19.5-21k. WBAC is also giving 21K.

2.5k is really nothing in depreciation!

Originally I had started out "local" and I'm a great believer in that. Also working out the "*****-ness factor" if the additional time from myself (say driving from one end of the country to the other) is worth the money or not. Same thing normally comes in on a Friday night when deciding what is for dinner..

I had heard RE the X3M and was not quite a believer until I seen Joe Achilles getting batter about on what looked like a good road :tearsofjoy:

I seen that... I've been told combined car expenses must not exceed the mortgage LOL
Having relocated to the delightful south east 6 years ago, and buying a house from scratch as I kept the one back North, less than the mortgage gives me lots of scope! My self imposed restriction is I pay the same as my car costs into a stocks and shares ISA each month - one to cover the depreciation on the other!

I think my RS4 rides as well as my SQ5 - latter was on 21s though. Its acceptable to me for the drive you get. The M5 was a bit too harsh but I guess that was the result of making a 600hp projectile weighting two tonnes go round corners like a supercar....

Reactions: Strachan87 and NevMan
Well the missus did say "I want you to get the car you want"... so I asked about RS4's but realistically outside what I'm happy to spend. I did ask about a STD edition with the exhaust, suspension plus, C&S pack, red calipers & metallic paint - it was close to the SQ5 but only when I was making up the equivalent of the Audi contributions for the deposit. Also although it was lined up for September delivery I am hesitant with all the electronics shortages that it would likely slip.

For this time the SQ5 is the head over heart decision. Next car RS4 sure! - hybrid 5-cyl engine from the RS3/RSQ3/TTRS?

The original Ultra Blue was gone by the time I'd came back but a Mythos black one has been found and will hopefully be with me within the next week or 2. It's been a long time since I had a black car. My first 2 were black, then white which conversely I think was very easy to keep clean and hides any marks quite well.

Well the missus did say "I want you to get the car you want"... so I asked about RS4's but realistically outside what I'm happy to spend. I did ask about a STD edition with the exhaust, suspension plus, C&S pack, red calipers & metallic paint - it was close to the SQ5 but only when I was making up the equivalent of the Audi contributions for the deposit. Also although it was lined up for September delivery I am hesitant with all the electronics shortages that it would likely slip.

For this time the SQ5 is the head over heart decision. Next car RS4 sure! - hybrid 5-cyl engine from the RS3/RSQ3/TTRS?

The original Ultra Blue was gone by the time I'd came back but a Mythos black one has been found and will hopefully be with me within the next week or 2. It's been a long time since I had a black car. My first 2 were black, then white which conversely I think was very easy to keep clean and hides any marks quite well.
I think the SQ5 is a very good decision. I still cant get my head round coupe SUVs of any description but that is because I am old and have a dog! Good luck with it.

I had my white car cleaned last week for first time in 3 months, it didnt look too bad I thought until it was done when I realised how dirty it had been! Still its not grey for a change....

Reactions: NevMan and Strachan87
I think the SQ5 is a very good decision. I still cant get my head round coupe SUVs of any description but that is because I am old and have a dog! Good luck with it.

I had my white car cleaned last week for first time in 3 months, it didnt look too bad I thought until it was done when I realised how dirty it had been! Still its not grey for a change....
TBH I agree but somehow bought one... In person I do think the Q5 SBPK does looks actually suit it and it doesn't look like a great slope. They probably could have passed it off as the new Q5 TBH. Q3 is too small in my opinion so looks very much like a jacked up A3. The Merc and BMW equivalents have too much boot lip/ flat backside. Maybe the Porsche Cayenne coupe is comparable as it curves down.

I'm hoping to get some paint protection film on the rear bumper of mine as I can see the dog miss judging the first few jumps - he cleared the S3 bumper no issue, almost graceful for his usual "bull in a china shop" approach - he "power slides" into the kitchen door to slow himself down :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: isleaiw
TBH I agree but somehow bought one... In person I do think the Q5 SBPK does looks actually suit it and it doesn't look like a great slope. They probably could have passed it off as the new Q5 TBH. Q3 is too small in my opinion so looks very much like a jacked up A3. The Merc and BMW equivalents have too much boot lip/ flat backside. Maybe the Porsche Cayenne coupe is comparable as it curves down.

I'm hoping to get some paint protection film on the rear bumper of mine as I can see the dog miss judging the first few jumps - he cleared the S3 bumper no issue, almost graceful for his usual "bull in a china shop" approach - he "power slides" into the kitchen door to slow himself down :tearsofjoy:
My dog has mastered the wait whilst I put the bumper cover down - mainly as got excited one day, didn’t wait and jumped into the closed door of her transit crate! I do have ceramic coating on the paint to help protect...

enjoy when it arrives!