SQ5 SQ5 tailgate issues.

Drexyl

Reaction score
Hi.
Having problems with tailgate on 2018 SQ5. Last week one of the tailgate struts failed when we were out. picked up a parcel,opened the tailgate with remote ,loaded parcel then pressed button to close tailgate.
a series of beeps were emitted (Never heard before) and the door failed to close. parcel was only small and was not obstructing the closing of the tailgate in any way.
managed to lift tailgate back up and noticed the strut had completely failed.
I had to remove both struts in order to get the tailgate down. I noticed that the tailgate alignment was a long way out, thinking it must be because I’d taken the struts out and new struts would cure the problem. WRONG. new struts installed both working as they should but the tailgate is miles out of alignment.
car has received no damage , all hinges have no signs of any movement, has anyone any ideas or had similar problems.

Where is it out of alignment?
Hi there.
When trying to close tailgate the latch cover on the tailgate scrapes down the side of the latch opening But won’t close.
the nearside top corner is low by about 5mm which throw the bottom offside corner out, so much it’s almost touching the rear corner panel.
tailgate can’t shut by itself it has to be manipulated by hand.
im going to have to take it to a body shop and get someone to investigate it.

thanks for your question.

Reactions: paul wev
I would say the failing strut has allowed it to bend out of alignment, you could try very minimally manipulating the boot with struts of to kinda tiny bit bend on the hinges to re-allign, just be careful not to stress to much, as body shop will try the same initially, but if it was ok before, then strut must have been failing for a while & when it went it allowed 1 side to lean, twist, so to speak.