SQ5 SQ5 Plus exhaust tips

micalee

Reaction score
Not a massive fan of the 'joined' exhaust tips on the plus, much prefer the single tips on the non plus models.

Not having bought my SQ5 yet, if I end up with a plus, has anyone replaced the OEM ones for singles? Why did the Plus have this style?

I have the normal SQ5 ones and would swap to the plus ones in a breath tbh. Unfortunately they are weldded on so not an easy swap

What is it you prefer with the plus ones?
I'm actually not a big fan of the quad exhausts at all if I'm honest. I think one nice one each side is a cleaner look. The plus exhaust is a step towards that in my eyes.
Take the mk7 Golf R and Golf GTi for example, i think the GTi is nicely understated in comparison

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Not a massive fan of the 'joined' exhaust tips on the plus, much prefer the single tips on the non plus models.

Not having bought my SQ5 yet, if I end up with a plus, has anyone replaced the OEM ones for singles? Why did the Plus have this style?

The plus has a few subtle styling tweaks, the exhaust tips, black trims on the door handles, black mirrors, black rear diffuser, diamond stitching - think that's about it on the visual side of things, it's also slightly up on bhp and torque but the main difference (IMO) is that it's got a sports diff.

I agree with you on the exhaust, it looks a bit naff so got mine painted satin black, more to tone it down a bit than anything else.

Reactions: micalee
I'm actually not a big fan of the quad exhausts at all if I'm honest. I think one nice one each side is a cleaner look. The plus exhaust is a step towards that in my eyes.
Take the mk7 Golf R and Golf GTi for example, i think the GTi is nicely understated in comparison

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Agree, quads look OTT, twin RS style ovals would be a big improvement.

I have a Golf R now - selling for something with more room.

I may not even get a Plus yet and if I do, it will probably grow on me. I really only been looking at those as I want the quilted seats and panroof. I know you can get that on non Plus models but harder to find.

The quilted seats are great and it was one of the things that drew me to the car when I bought it.
I'd have liked the plus just for the rear diff but in reality I'd have struggled to get a plus with the spec on mine so its swings and roundabouts really.

Reactions: micalee
I have a Golf R now - selling for something with more room.

I may not even get a Plus yet and if I do, it will probably grow on me. I really only been looking at those as I want the quilted seats and panroof. I know you can get that on non Plus models but harder to find.

So this might be of interest, Lee:

SQ5 2
SQ5

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-SQ5...0BHP-SEPANG-BLUE-FASH-23-500-MLS/203049468944

The plus has a few subtle styling tweaks, the exhaust tips, black trims on the door handles, black mirrors, black rear diffuser, diamond stitching - think that's about it on the visual side of things, it's also slightly up on bhp and torque but the main difference (IMO) is that it's got a sports diff.

I agree with you on the exhaust, it looks a bit naff so got mine painted satin black, more to tone it down a bit than anything else.

Tempted with the black pipes and already done the trials/evaluation - and this just a single self-etch coat:

Black tail pipes SQ5

But decided, today, on a rear-end de-badge/de-clutter first:

SQUIFFY de clutter

Be keeping it like this for now...
:yahoo:

Reactions: Tolly-SQ5 and SteveMcB
Tempted with the black pipes and already done the trials/evaluation - and this just a single self-etch coat:

But decided, today, on a rear-end de-badge/de-clutter first:
Be keeping it like this for now...

Looks good, I also lost the tdi badge from the boot (and v6t's from the wings) but might go for a full declutter now.

I got my exhaust tips done about 4 years ago but they could probably do with a touch up, did the tips come off easily enough?

Looks good, I also lost the tdi badge from the boot (and v6t's from the wings) but might go for a full declutter now.

I got my exhaust tips done about 4 years ago but they could probably do with a touch up, did the tips come off easily enough?

Those are just a cheap pair of chrome pipes, Steve, purchased just to 'test' the application/adherence of my chosen paint i.e., an Acid Etch Primer Black - Heat resistant up to 200ºC - from Fascinating Finishes Ltd, Hull.

Used this product on my RS3 pipes (removable) and just perfect, a nice satin black finish, see photo #1

Used it on my SQ5 brake-disc hubs and brake-disc vents and again just perfect (for us), see photo #2

Unfortunately the SQ5 exhaust tips are welded to the main body of the exhaust system and non-removable, see photo #3

RS3 matt black tail pipes SQ5 brake hubs acid etch SQ5 exh trims welded

PS: My V6t's went on day #1 along with the TDi badge, the SQ5 badge took a little longer to decide on, lol, but as of yesterday... :thumbs up:

Reactions: SteveMcB

Photo of your rear end, :blink: with the black pipes would be nice to see, Steve...

I think you could easily overcoat with this Acid Etch Primer Black; you might need an isolator - if only to prevent reaction with the existing - but I can advise on that also.

Reactions: SteveMcB
Photo of your rear end, :blink: with the black pipes would be nice to see, Steve...

I think you could easily overcoat with this Acid Etch Primer Black; you might need an isolator - if only to prevent reaction with the existing - but I can advise on that also.

Ooh err missus!! - only got a snap of the car's rear end unfortunately but here you go :)

This was taken not long after they were done. Thanks for the offer maybe will pick your brains if I get round to redoing them.

P1190417 2

Reactions: Tolly-SQ5 and 45bvtc
Ooh err missus!! - only got a snap of the car's rear end unfortunately but here you go :)

This was taken not long after they were done. Thanks for the offer maybe will pick your brains if I get round to redoing them.

View attachment 206708

That's even more stealth, Steve, with that black rear-under-body-trim, nice, same as our RS3; best get going with Photoshop and see how black pipes look with our grey rear-under-body-trim.

As for the re-touching just ask...

Reactions: paul wev and SteveMcB