SQ5 SQ5 Plus exhaust tips

micalee

Not a massive fan of the 'joined' exhaust tips on the plus, much prefer the single tips on the non plus models.

Not having bought my SQ5 yet, if I end up with a plus, has anyone replaced the OEM ones for singles? Why did the Plus have this style?

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
I have the normal SQ5 ones and would swap to the plus ones in a breath tbh. Unfortunately they are weldded on so not an easy swap

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
What is it you prefer with the plus ones?
I'm actually not a big fan of the quad exhausts at all if I'm honest. I think one nice one each side is a cleaner look. The plus exhaust is a step towards that in my eyes.
Take the mk7 Golf R and Golf GTi for example, i think the GTi is nicely understated in comparison

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

SteveMcB

Not a massive fan of the 'joined' exhaust tips on the plus, much prefer the single tips on the non plus models.

Not having bought my SQ5 yet, if I end up with a plus, has anyone replaced the OEM ones for singles? Why did the Plus have this style?

The plus has a few subtle styling tweaks, the exhaust tips, black trims on the door handles, black mirrors, black rear diffuser, diamond stitching - think that's about it on the visual side of things, it's also slightly up on bhp and torque but the main difference (IMO) is that it's got a sports diff.

I agree with you on the exhaust, it looks a bit naff so got mine painted satin black, more to tone it down a bit than anything else.

SteveMcB

I'm actually not a big fan of the quad exhausts at all if I'm honest. I think one nice one each side is a cleaner look. The plus exhaust is a step towards that in my eyes.
Take the mk7 Golf R and Golf GTi for example, i think the GTi is nicely understated in comparison

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Agree, quads look OTT, twin RS style ovals would be a big improvement.

micalee

I have a Golf R now - selling for something with more room.

I may not even get a Plus yet and if I do, it will probably grow on me. I really only been looking at those as I want the quilted seats and panroof. I know you can get that on non Plus models but harder to find.

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
The quilted seats are great and it was one of the things that drew me to the car when I bought it.
I'd have liked the plus just for the rear diff but in reality I'd have struggled to get a plus with the spec on mine so its swings and roundabouts really.

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
I have a Golf R now - selling for something with more room.

I may not even get a Plus yet and if I do, it will probably grow on me. I really only been looking at those as I want the quilted seats and panroof. I know you can get that on non Plus models but harder to find.

So this might be of interest, Lee:

SQ5+ 2.JPG
SQ5+.JPG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-SQ5...0BHP-SEPANG-BLUE-FASH-23-500-MLS/203049468944

45bvtc

Supporter
Gold Supporter
The plus has a few subtle styling tweaks, the exhaust tips, black trims on the door handles, black mirrors, black rear diffuser, diamond stitching - think that's about it on the visual side of things, it's also slightly up on bhp and torque but the main difference (IMO) is that it's got a sports diff.

I agree with you on the exhaust, it looks a bit naff so got mine painted satin black, more to tone it down a bit than anything else.

Tempted with the black pipes and already done the trials/evaluation - and this just a single self-etch coat:

Black tail pipes_SQ5.JPG

But decided, today, on a rear-end de-badge/de-clutter first:

SQUIFFY de-clutter.jpg

Be keeping it like this for now...
:yahoo:

SteveMcB

Tempted with the black pipes and already done the trials/evaluation - and this just a single self-etch coat:

But decided, today, on a rear-end de-badge/de-clutter first:
Be keeping it like this for now...

Looks good, I also lost the tdi badge from the boot (and v6t's from the wings) but might go for a full declutter now.

I got my exhaust tips done about 4 years ago but they could probably do with a touch up, did the tips come off easily enough?

45bvtc

Supporter
Gold Supporter

Looks good, I also lost the tdi badge from the boot (and v6t's from the wings) but might go for a full declutter now.

I got my exhaust tips done about 4 years ago but they could probably do with a touch up, did the tips come off easily enough?

Those are just a cheap pair of chrome pipes, Steve, purchased just to 'test' the application/adherence of my chosen paint i.e., an Acid Etch Primer Black - Heat resistant up to 200ºC - from Fascinating Finishes Ltd, Hull.

Used this product on my RS3 pipes (removable) and just perfect, a nice satin black finish, see photo #1

Used it on my SQ5 brake-disc hubs and brake-disc vents and again just perfect (for us), see photo #2

Unfortunately the SQ5 exhaust tips are welded to the main body of the exhaust system and non-removable, see photo #3

RS3 matt black tail pipes.JPG SQ5 brake hubs_acid etch.JPG SQ5 exh trims welded.JPG

PS: My V6t's went on day #1 along with the TDi badge, the SQ5 badge took a little longer to decide on, lol, but as of yesterday... :thumbs up:

45bvtc

Supporter
Gold Supporter

Photo of your rear end, :blink: with the black pipes would be nice to see, Steve...

I think you could easily overcoat with this Acid Etch Primer Black; you might need an isolator - if only to prevent reaction with the existing - but I can advise on that also.

SteveMcB

Photo of your rear end, :blink: with the black pipes would be nice to see, Steve...

I think you could easily overcoat with this Acid Etch Primer Black; you might need an isolator - if only to prevent reaction with the existing - but I can advise on that also.

Ooh err missus!! - only got a snap of the car's rear end unfortunately but here you go :)

This was taken not long after they were done. Thanks for the offer maybe will pick your brains if I get round to redoing them.

P1190417 2.jpeg

45bvtc

Supporter
Gold Supporter
Ooh err missus!! - only got a snap of the car's rear end unfortunately but here you go :)

This was taken not long after they were done. Thanks for the offer maybe will pick your brains if I get round to redoing them.

View attachment 206708

That's even more stealth, Steve, with that black rear-under-body-trim, nice, same as our RS3; best get going with Photoshop and see how black pipes look with our grey rear-under-body-trim.

As for the re-touching just ask...